• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I then wear polypropolene sock liners and good wool socks. The two sizes bigger allows me to wiggle my toes. Too tight a boot allows your feet to get cold as air is the best insulator.

I use Bogs -40's, 11" with pull handles. Nice and easy for as much as I go out and coyote hunt, but with a size 13 shoe, and wearing wool blends, my feet will still get nippy. If I'm moving, they're nice and comfy, but stand still in the 15 degree weather like we just had, and you're going to get antsy.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I know you don't want to pay as much as a car but I'll put a plug in here for Russell Handmade Boots. High Country Hunter - Hunting Boots, Outdoor Gear, Custom Made Boots, Hunt Boot, Hunters Boot, Hiking Boot, Tracking Boots

While I don't own them a close friend that works for Michigan DNR and spends all day everyday walking in the outdoors swears by them. They are VERY pricey but worth consideration if quality, comfort, and durability are the criteria.

Just priced a pair out and they would be $507.00 + shipping........ouch but I would still consider it.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Guess it depends on your "work." Duty boot Bates, Danner, Thorogood, all are good. I would stay away from magnums...at least boots that is ;)
    If you mean work boots like construction, etc. I have always like Wolverine w dura shock, they were great for me.
    As for Hiking boots, I bought a pair of Coleman's for under 40.00 a few years back, I water proof them every season and replace insoles. They have hundreds of miles on them and they have been the greatest and have a lot of life still left in them.

These are just my opinion's... Hope they help you some.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks guys, In the past I've always worn Red-Wing but now that they're made in China, they're out. Unfortunately, finding boots that actually fit is a pretty tall order.

Hard to believe a good pair of boots could cost enough to make to justify a price-tag in the $350 range.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    As many have said,....Danner. I have had and still have several pairs and most last me a minimum of 4 years with daily wear. Take care of them, clean them and they will last. Some I wear ONLY for hunting have lasted 10 years. They are expensive, but why buy cheap boots multiple times? You'll end up spending the same.

Just bought my son who is in the ARMY a pair of Danner duty boots for Christmas. His warm weather issued boots (Thurogoods) barely made it through BCT and now have zero tread left.

I have also had good results and wear out of Cabelas "Outfitter Series" all leather boots.

Dirty Steve

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Thanks guys, In the past I've always worn Red-Wing but now that they're made in China, they're out. Unfortunately, finding boots that actually fit is a pretty tall order.

Hard to believe a good pair of boots could cost enough to make to justify a price-tag in the $350 range.

The redwing work boot I wear (style 1425) is gore-tex and thinsulate. And still made in the USA! I know some are China. They have a good sole for standing on concrete and insulating for electrical. I get 3 years use out of them. Just bought a pair at the local store, $276 with tax.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    I have worn steel-toed boots for 30 years and have tried numerous brands and styles. Keep in mind that each boot company uses a different "last" so they will all fit a little differently. For my foot, the best value, fit and truly non-slip sole is Georgia Boot. I have a five year old pair that I always go to if I'm going to be standing on concrete all day long. There are much more expensive boots out there but Georgia is my work boot of choice.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Take a look at Danner Acadias, you can get them with steel toe and with out. They also come in three different heights, last pair I bought were still made in the USA. Not all Danners are anymore.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i have on pair of redwings since 2007 had the resoled last year. i work constuction i have goone trough timberlands and wolervine and other but in 6 to 8 months. i have another pair of redwings since 2008 and i wear them other than work and the could use a resoling but the leather is great. american made and there are 3 or 4 stores in the indy area

redwing boots that have a premolded sole are made else wear. (same thing for 99% other brands as well.)
    but the boots that are resolable are made hear. my pairs are

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    danners all the way. last as long as redwings and are way more comfortable! i work with a guy that has been wearing their military boots for almost 4 years and they are still like new. he also wears them almost every day.

Sterling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Jamestown, IN
    Dinner are my hunting boots and redwing ate my work boots. I use to work ay Galyans and saw a lot of Rockys come back. The were pretty good hunting boots, but didn't hold up to work conditions.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I just bought some Redwing Irish Setter boots at a Redwing outlet for about a hundred and fifty bucks and I have to say they have been the best boots I've ever had and I've owned Merrils, Timberland, Wolvering. Haven't owned Danners before so they very well may work for you too. The real trick I've learned with boots is to select the ones that fit you best from the top names. Use the top names as a general guide but buy the pair that best fit your feet.

Top Bottom