• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    For the moles, my best solution so far has been to put a garden hose in the tunnels on a low flow. It floods the tunnels and they have to come out for air. When they do, dispose of them as you wish.

They guy using beer and such must have seen the old Jerry Baker shows on PBS. Seems like the stations showed them during their fund raisers. He had a potion for everything. I don't know if those shows are available on line.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Preemergent fertilizer in the early spring. TriMec in a sprayer late spring. Mow on high setting different pattern every cut. cut often.

Weed and feed in the fall .

You will have the best weed free good looking lawn around.

Size of yard will depend on equipment needed.

I buy my fertilizer and weed chemicals at the end of the season and hold for proper application timing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use Scott's 4-step program with an extra dose here and there. I tried Jonathan Green's products but they did not work well for me. So this year I am back to Scott's. Right now I am mowing every other day.

Thank God it only takes me about 25 minutes to cut my grass!

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I pull a lot of weeds by hand . It,s a real pain in the a$$ but , I refuse to use any chemicals on my lawn, the health of my dog ,my grand children ,and my self is more important then a perfect lawn . Some weeds are eatable like dandelions ,used in salads . So as much as I hate them I just try to control them . Can,t eat them if there full of toxic crap. There are things that are natural that can control them and make your lawn beautiful , but I do not know the answer . Till I do I will put my money in other things.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I did the Scotts stuff a couple of years ago. It was roughly 100 bucks a pop to do just my front yard. I never checked to see what a company would charge but I am guessing they would be high.

My new approach is if it's green it's good. About the only real thing I do for the yard is with my mower and keeping the blades sharp (got a nifty attachment for my drill) and cut it as high as I can.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Gas for the mower is expensive enough. I just can't justify spending money on lawn treatments. I've discovered chickweed is actually pretty pleasant to walk on!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Mow it high. By high, 3.5" or more. Mow it often.
    Keep blades sharp.
    Use mulching mower.
    Aerate every year or so.

I use Weed B'gon for spot treatment.

Scott's for fertilizer and crab grass. I've tried it all, and Scotts works best for me.

Most of the time, paying a lawn service to do the treatments is a waste of money.

I can look at my yard and my two neighbors yards that pay for treatment and see what a waste it is.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mow it high. By high, 3.5" or more. Mow it often.
    Keep blades sharp.
    Use mulching mower.
    Aerate every year or so.

I use Weed B'gon for spot treatment.

Scott's for fertilizer and crab grass. I've tried it all, and Scotts works best for me.

Most of the time, paying a lawn service to do the treatments is a waste of money.

I can look at my yard and my two neighbors yards that pay for treatment and see what a waste it is.

+1. This is just how I do mine. And don't take a few years off from this regimen, like I did. This is my third Spring since I ended my "layoff" from yard care and now it's finally starting to look good again. And I have less rabbits since the clover and other weeds are gone.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    It's like we're twin brothers or something. I will try the smoke out and birdshot option, and give an aar

My grandfather 'hunts' moles. Early in the morning or late in the evening he walks through the yard and smashes down all of the mole runs. He then stands in a central location with his shotgun and waits (can't move, they can feel the ground vibrations). Pretty soon he'll start to see some of the dirt being pushed back up and he blasts them. He's killed dozens over the years doing this. He says early mornings or late evenings is when they're most active.

Probably not the best method for someone in town or someone without some time on their hands.... but I always thought it sounded pretty fun.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My grandfather 'hunts' moles. Early in the morning or late in the evening he walks through the yard and smashes down all of the mole runs. He then stands in a central location with his shotgun and waits (can't move, they can feel the ground vibrations). Pretty soon he'll start to see some of the dirt being pushed back up and he blasts them. He's killed dozens over the years doing this. He says early mornings or late evenings is when they're most active.

Probably not the best method for someone in town or someone without some time on their hands.... but I always thought it sounded pretty fun.

I've actually tried this, but just never have enough time.
    I sit for an hour or two with nothing... then later that night, another mound has appeared.
    I'm rural, so blasting them with that propane contraption would even be ok (and loads of fun), if only I could afford such a device

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

I knew an old guy who would sit in a lawnchair with a spear in one hand, a beer in the other, with his bare feet on the ground. When he felt their vibrations, he would spot the area the mole was moving in and run over and impale the little monsters.

My method involves a lawn chair and beer, but instead of a spear, I use two Jack Russells. The yard looks way worse, but it's entertaining as hell.:D

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I knew an old guy who would sit in a lawnchair with a spear in one hand, a beer in the other, with his bare feet on the ground. When he felt their vibrations, he would spot the area the mole was moving in and run over and impale the little monsters.

My method involves a lawn chair and beer, but instead of a spear, I use two Jack Russells. The yard looks way worse, but it's entertaining as hell.:D

please film this next time lol

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    On my neighbor's recommendation, I spread Scott's weed & feed to kill the dandelions and beef up the grass.

His yard always looks pretty good...

And a few weeks after application, mine looks decent now, too!

I'll have to buy another big bag to do it again towards fall...but that's OK. About 3/4 bag does my yard.

Top Bottom