• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well, INGO. I'm trying this again. I'm building an AR. Last time didn't work out so well. Not for lack of trying, but lack of income with abundance of bills. SO I sold it. Had the entire lower practically done how I wanted, except a few things. Now I've got what I want. Last time I had a PSA lower, second on the list only to Spikes. Now I have a Spikes lower with a CMMG LPK, which is fine with me.

Lower - $115/MSRP $115
    LPK - $70/MSRP $65
    Spikes Upper - $530/MSRP $605
    Buffer kit with MOE buttstock - $70/MSRP $130
    MOE Pistol Grip - $20/MSRP $20
    2 PMAGs - $24/ MSRP $25
    DPMS Rear Sight - $15/MSRP $80

Now I'm debating between a PSA upper, Model1Sales upper, or Spikes Magpul MOE upper. The PSA and M1S are good deals as always. The Spikes I've found for about $95 below what it sells for from Spikes. I love my Spikes Tactical, but I'm not sure I wanna spend $520 on an upper when I can get another brand for about $400. I'm thinking I might even look into PSA blemished uppers. I'm torn!!! I do know that I want to stick with Magpul though, so I'll stick with the MOE stuff for sure.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Mvician, any other brands you recommend? I'm hoping to find a good upper and a decent price. I'd like to keep this build sub $700, but I'm thinking it won't be possible. If I get the Spikes upper, it puts me at $775 before taxes. Which is fine with me because what I'm building, if bought from ST is a little more than $900. All I'm looking for is a plinker that is also subbing as a go to rifle for the household. It will have a light and such, but that won't be included in my final pricing when the girlfriend asks how much the rifle cost, because that's an upgrade from what there is.

FTR:: This is the upper I'm looking at.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    $500 for the complete Spike's upper is a good price, you won't find one much cheaper if at all.

I'd also look at this PSA upper, $100 cheaper than the Spike's
    PSA M4 Premium - 16'' CMV CL Upper with BCG and Charging Handle

I had a Spike's lower with a PSA upper........because at the time I couldn't find a Spike's upper at a price I was willing to pay. Eventually got a PSA lower built up and put the PSA upper on it. Finally found a smoking bargain on the ar15.com EE on a practically new Spike's 14.5" + extended DynaComp upper with a Daniel Defense Omega FF rail for the price AIM was asking for the same upper but with the Magpul MOE handguard on it. So now my mixed-matched rifle is two complete rifles :):

IDK, just seems right to me to have them matching now, maybe just an excuse to build another rifle LOL :):

PSA

Spike's

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I hear you on that one. I'm also planning some ambi upgrades because the girlfriend is a southpaw. I want it all to match, but if I get a PSA and build a Spikes lower with a PSA upper, I'll build the opposite next time for my girlfriend. I'd rather have a quad rail, but the MOE handguard is second place for me.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well, went to a flea market/antique mall today. Found a rear sight, non flip-up version, for a flat top upper for $10. I snatched it up.

Also, I believe I am going to SBR my lower at some point. I was looking at while building it and my serial number starts with SBR. No better reason to SBR it than to for the novelty of an SBR with an SBR serial number. :D

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What budget-ish brands does everyone recommend? I know there's PSA and Spikes, any others I'm missing? Is DSG Arms any good? How about the PTAC uppers from PSA? They have an upper with a Vortex optic and front sight for $400 with a BCG and charging handle. I'd like a complete upper with BCG and charging handle. It doesn't need to have a rear sight, it must have a front sight and a flat top upper though.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well this rifle is officially on hold. I have ordered everything I need and am just waiting on part now. I went with the Spikes upper, Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip, and some PMAGs.

All-in-all, my budget was $700ish. I went over that by a few bucks, but I got exactly what I wanted (minus it being SBR'd, but stay tuned for that one).

MSRP of parts is $1,121.90: I spent $871.40 tax and shipping included. For a grand total of $250.51 saved. Don't get me wrong, I could have kept this under $600 by buying a PTAC upper with Vortex sight for $400, flipped the sight for $75 and kept this around the $550 mark, but it didn't have what I wanted, so I bought what I don't think I would change.

It will be the end of January before I update this again, the parts are scheduled to arrive 3 days after I head out of state for a week. :n00b:

All updated totals are in the OP.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well, I officially have everything in hand, just waiting to build it. Anyone know of a good rear sling mount? Also, I ordered the wrong kit and ordered a carbine handguard with my stock kit, so not I have one sitting around that I may be willing to trade for a sling mount. :n00b:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    It seems well made, but the finish is very rough to the touch. Finish itself seems durable. The one flaw IMO is the thickness of the mount, particularly the bar that holds the link. It is thick enough to interfere a little with tightening the castle nut back down. I have a cheap stock wrench and the mount wouldn't let one of the three lugs engage.

Top Bottom