• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If this is not a hoax, I would call the school and ask, though I'd use a friend's phone so it didn't reveal who made the call. Alternatively, same technique, but call the DoD.

Yep, step 1 would be to do this or go to the school and ask. (you dont have to reveal his/her status) Normally hoaxes/scams ask you to go online somewhere, share something, call a phone number, etc. The fact that they are telling you to go to the school makes me think its legit. (unless they are trying to make people look stupid by sending them on a wild goose chase.) But the fact that a phone number you have on file with Muncie Schools got called and told you to go to Muncie Schools really reduces my feelings that its not legit.

And my spidey senses are tingling too somewhat. The $64,000 question is "They are the freakin DoD. Why dont they already know who is who from their records?" If a kid is a military dependent, arent they already tracked and "registered" due to the benefits of being a soldier/soldier's kid? Why do they need parents to step forward and confirm with the schools?

Keep us updated please.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congress wants states and schools to track military-connected students - The Hechinger Report

hy does this matter? Consider the numbers: There are nearly 1.2 million children with at least one parent who is active duty or reserve military. The vast majority of these students are being educated in the nation’s public schools (There are also about 78,000 students living on U.S. military installations around the globe and are attending campuses operated by the Department of Defense Education Activity network). While the school districts serving the largest populations of these students receive additional federal funding, little is known about how those dollars are spent – or if the intended students actually benefit from the additional support.Indeed, in a 2011 report, the Government Accountability Office noted, “There are no national public data on military dependent students’ academic progress, attendance, or long-term outcomes, such as college attendance or workplace readiness.”
    Without such metrics, “educators, base commanders, and community leaders are not able to provide military dependent students with appropriate resources because they do not have information on their specific educational needs or the effectiveness of the schools and programs serving them,” the GAO concluded.

That's the most plausible explanation I can come up with.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'm not a tin foil hat kinda person. Having said that, and being an IT guy I know that data can/should be farmed from already existing DB's within the .mil.

Creation of this new data collection method will not be free nor inexpensive, and we all know who will be paying for that. Even by governmental standards this is senseless.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Another friend of mine said an actual letter was sent home suggesting the exact same info. I don't have any other answers yet. I'm pretty sure it's not a hoax at this point. Weird.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm not a tin foil hat kinda person. Having said that, and being an IT guy I know that data can/should be farmed from already existing DB's within the .mil.

Creation of this new data collection method will not be free nor inexpensive, and we all know who will be paying for that. Even by governmental standards this is senseless.

I'm currently in reserve status, last year I was on active orders. I'm not aware of any data tracking my kids specific school, or even if they were going to school. It may not be available with existing databases.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I served for 26 years, now retired. The schools my kids attended always received federal funds if there were a certain number of active duty dependents enrolled. I'm sure the school is just trying to determine if they have enough to qualify for funding.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom