• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This morning I composed the following letter to Senator Coats via the write your reps on the NRA website. I decided to try to cover an area of unintended consequences. Hoping that it will show something a little different in this debate. While I may send a stronger letter later I simply wanted to find something that some one else may not have thought of.

Michael Durham
    Indianapolis, IN 46226-5039
    January 15, 2013

The Honorable Dan Coats
    United States Senate
    493 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510-1404

Re: Upcoming "Assault weapons ban" legislation

Senator Coats:
    I am writing you in advance of the upcoming debate over the AWB. AS you well know, the last one did not work, because the Columbine shooting occurred during that period. In addition, I believe I saw an interview with you on a local Indy news station and you seemed to be against any new ban because they do not work. I hope that that is true. Because one thing that concerns me is, I purchased my AR 15 right after the last ban expired, and I also purchased a few 30 round Magazines. Now comes my concern, if a new ban is approved they say they will grandfather existing magazines. However, in my case as in probably many others, those magazines have the words "Law Enforcement Only" stamped on them! As those were what were immediately available. If the new AWB is approved what will prevent an overzealous police officer from arresting me if I am stopped and searched for some reason on my way back from the practice range or a competition and he finds those magazines? I would then have to spend money I really do not have to defend myself. I no longer have receipts proving when I purchased those magazines and it may result in a conviction of a crime I did not commit! This is what I call the law of unintended consequences. Please fight any new AWB, but do fight for increased security for our schools, because that is the only way to deter the next Adam Lanza. Remember Laws do not prevent Crime, they only provide for punishment after the fact! Adam Lanza broke dozens of laws before he fired his first shot. I urge you to remind your fellow Senators of these facts and resist any further infringement on the Second Amendment.
    I will also add that because I was extremely frustrated with Senator Lugar's performance in the Senate I became an active volunteer and worked very hard for Richard Mourdock's campaign. Moreover, while I will be very happy to support you and volunteer for your re-election, I would use similar criteria to determine whom I would support when you come up for your next term. Please feel free to forward this letter to Senator Donnelly and Represenitive Andre Carson, I would do it myself but I believe they would ignore it.

Sincerely,
    Michael L. Durham

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Welp, I suppose it's worth a shot! Sadly, I think the most likely outcome of your letter is in the very last sentence.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Coats supported the 1994 ban.

Don't bet on him not to support this one.

Yes he sure did.....after he repeatedly said he would not. Matter of fact he cast the tie breaking vote in favor of the 94 AWB. You can't count on the guy. I did not vote for him and I never will...for anything.:noway: I am not 100% sure on it but I believe his vote cost him his job shortly after. Maybe someone could validate that.

87bluejay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Exactly! Guy is never around for a vote anyway!

Yes he sure did.....after he repeatedly said he would not. Matter of fact he cast the tie breaking vote in favor of the 94 AWB. You can't count on the guy. I did not vote for him and I never will...for anything.:noway: I am not 100% sure on it but I believe his vote cost him his job shortly after. Maybe someone could validate that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Muncie
    My letter to Senator Coats. Also sent it Speaker Boehner and Senator McConnell with respective changes. Would have sent it to Sen. Joe Donnelly but sadly still no contact info.

January 16, 2013
    Dear Senator Coats,
    I am contacting you today regarding the Constitution of United States, particularly the Second Amendment. I exercise my Second Amendment right daily by carrying a Glock pistol concealed for protection; often participate in the action shooting sports and most years I hunt. With the media barrage and the direction of leadership of President Obama, I fear for my country and my rights. Calls for gun control in the name of safety are disingenuous at best. We lived under a useless “assault weapons ban” for ten years that did nothing to stop criminals but everything to infringe upon the rights of law abiding citizens.
    I am sadden by these mass killings as much anyone. It adds insult to injury to hear base politicians and media pundits use them as a political expedient to attack our constitutional rights. I find it reprehensible that they prey on the public’s fears while they are at their weakest and grieving. When we have a conversation with tempered emotions and hard facts we do not punish the innocent. We need to break this forced paradigm and shift focus. Mental health laws concerning involuntary hospitalization and restrictions placed on communication with a patient’s family deserved to be reevaluated. We also need to take a hard look at “gun free zones.” Personally, I believe the places reserved for disarmament should be few and when required the state should be legally obliged to bear the burden of protection.
    Regarding the U.S. Constitution’s separation of powers, congress has conceded much power to the executive branch. I am startled to see President Obama’s abuse of executive orders. Later today the President is expected to announce 19 new executive actions concerning firearms. If President Obama oversteps his Constitutional bounds I hope to see action from congress. Future legislation to check this usurpation is necessary to the checks and balances of our system.
    In closing, I wish to remind you of the importance of the document you took an oath to defend, the United States Constitution. This is the life blood of our republic. It is disheartening that so many people do not give it the respect it deserves.

In love of the republic,
    Richard O.Parker Jr.

Top Bottom