• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Anyone ever messed with a Leupold's ability to return to zero when adjusting the scope for different loads? I don't seem to be able to get it to return after moving like ten inches..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yes, I have seen this. First thing to do is to backoff the ring screws. Most ring screws are way too tight and are stressing the tube. Back them off then snug them down to no more than 20 inch pounds, or about how tight you can get a screw by just using thumb and one finger on a screwdriver.

If you get repeatable adjustments after this, you just fixed it. If not, make sure the scope is aligned in the rings. Again you are looking for stresses on the tube.

If this is all good, you probably should send the scope back to Leopold.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ability to return to zero when adjusting the scope for different loads?

as said before differant loads with have differant POI (points of impact) therefore differant zero's.... if its the SAME load and you adjust, then return and are not back at your zero then there is a differant issue that could be caused by many issues......

if you are firing differant loads and expecting the same zero dont be surprised as a simple ammo change COULD change your poi by more than a foot in some extreme cases.

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    as said before differant loads with have differant POI (points of impact) therefore differant zero's.... if its the SAME load and you adjust, then return and are not back at your zero then there is a differant issue that could be caused by many issues......

if you are firing differant loads and expecting the same zero dont be surprised as a simple ammo change COULD change your poi by more than a foot in some extreme cases.

This is a case where I have two really different loads for different purposes. Same rifle. I want to basically know the setting for each and when I change loads, I would turn the scope to that setting. When I tried it first the scope returned within about two inches at 50 yards. It is a 4.5x14mm 30mm LRT Leupold. The reason I asked was that I have seen this before with Leupold scopes.

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Yes, I have seen this. First thing to do is to backoff the ring screws. Most ring screws are way too tight and are stressing the tube. Back them off then snug them down to no more than 20 inch pounds, or about how tight you can get a screw by just using thumb and one finger on a screwdriver.

If you get repeatable adjustments after this, you just fixed it. If not, make sure the scope is aligned in the rings. Again you are looking for stresses on the tube.

If this is all good, you probably should send the scope back to Leopold.

This is great info, I know the screws are way tighter than that. I will do this tonight and give it another try.

I had no idea.

Top Bottom