• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd like to learn more about lever action rifles. Seems like something I'd enjoy having.

In addition to brands to consider, can someone tell me the advantages of the various calibers? Sadly, I don't have anything in the calibers I'd consider, beyond 22lr, but don't know much about the costs and availability of them either.

Probably would keep it bone stock, so I don't care about scope mounts or anything like that.

Thanks...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Most of the lever guns, from major mfg., come in .357, .44, .45 lc, .444, 45-70, 30-30, and a few others..... the NICE thing about L/A, is that they come in pistol cal., so you can have two guns, with 1 ammo .....

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    If you can find older Winchester rifles they are great! I have two 30-30's, a 375H&H and a 45colt. I also have a puma 357 that I used to kill a doe at 100 yards last fri. I love Lever guns

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I have an old Winchester 94 in 30-30 and love it. Very fun to shoot. I take it deer hunting. My buddy has one in .357 and now I want one of those too.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    As CTS said, Henry is one of the best lever gun manufactures. The caliber you choose should be based on how you'll most use the gun. With the sky rocketing cost of ammo, a .22 Long Rifle caliber is a great choice for target shooting, plinking and small game (Squirrel, rabbit etc) hunting. Plus .22 Ammo should be readily available.

A lever gun in .38 / .357 Mag, 44 Spcl /44 Mag, 45 Colt, 44-40 WCF would be a great choice, for Medium and larger game (Coyotes, deer etc) plus a handgun could be added to your collection in the same caliber as your lever gun.

Finally, the larger bore lever guns, 30-30, 35 Remington, 444 etc were primarily designed for Large game protection or hunting (Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose etc.)

All this is to just give you a quick overview of calibers from my experience. I currently own several different makes and calibers of lever guns and each one serves a specific use for me. There are several quality lever gun manufacturers in the market. You'll have to decide which brand and price range fits you budget and need.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    the NICE thing about L/A, is that they come in pistol cal., so you can have two guns, with 1 ammo .....

Yep;

357001SW.jpg

:D

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    If you can find older Winchester rifles they are great! I have two 30-30's, a 375H&H and a 45colt. I also have a puma 357 that I used to kill a doe at 100 yards last fri. I love Lever guns

Did you mean .375 Winchester?

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Levers are great and really fun to shoot. I have a really nice old Marlin barely used in 30-30. I also have (2) Henry's; .357 and .22. They have the best action and are very accurate. Winchesters are very clunky action and I do not like them at all. But they look Cool!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In addition to brands to consider, can someone tell me the advantages of the various calibers?

Umm, well, it runs the gamut--.22lr to pistol calibers to 243 to 300 Savage to .308 to everything. Do you want to plink cans or kill critters or what?:dunno:

Probably would keep it bone stock, so I don't care about scope mounts or anything like that.

Like everthing else, it is about triggers and sights (I use XS ghostrings). Slick the action, get a sling on it.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Winchester 94 .30-30. Love it but ammo is kind of pricey. I put about 20 rounds a year through it. I love that it shoots the shells straight in the air and they run off your hat brim.(I love Old West history...so I love it...)

Anyway, I saw a new Winchester rifle at a gun shop that said it was made by blah blah blah holding ocmpany. Sounded like it was made in Japan these days. :( My brother loves his Henry .22 and its probably what I'd buy if I was buying another brand....but if I could find an old Winchester lever action in .45 LC I'd be all over it!

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    If you want to deer hunt legally in Indiana then a lever action in 44 magnum or 357 magnum are great. They hold 9-10 rounds and are great for home defense and plinking too. They are cheaper to shoot than real rifle centerfire rifles too.

30-30 and 45-70 lever actions are cheaper to buy initially than the pistol calibers, but cost more to feed. They are fun to shoot, certainally suitable to defend your family, hold 4-6 rounds, and are capable of taking larger game animals...although they are not legal for deer in Indiana.

I am partial to marlin and Winchester rifles, but I cannot say anything bad about others because I have not owned them.

Ryan

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for so many responses.

I don't have any plans to hunt really, especially not in the short term but its a consideration.

22lr makes the most sense for me, because I mostly want to plink, but I have a few 22 rifles, so I'd kind of like to move into something bigger.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks again..

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have a Browning BL 22 (.22 lr) lever action that is a beauty. Holds 15 in the tube. Lots of fun, cheap ammo, etc. I will go to the range and shoot 200-300 rounds in a few hours. Henrys are similar if you want a slightly cheaper model. Marlin makes a good one too.

jhaynes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. that I use to hunt deer with here in Indiana. I have taken 4 nice deer with it out to 120 yards. Great woods gun, and hits really hard. My friend took a deer with it this year and liked it so much that he went and got one (used). I here that the quailty of the new ones is down somewhat (built by Remington now). I've seen pictures of poor wood to metal fit, etc. But I haven't seen a new one in person. I also have a Winchester 9410. Which is a lever action model 94 in .410 shotgun. Great for rabbits, squirrels, or deer at closer ranges with slugs. Both are fun to shoot. Everyone should have at least one lever gun in my opinion.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    All lever guns are not made the same...

You have the Winchester type lever guns that take rounded bullets. The lever is under the action and the locking weaker then other actions.

Then you have the Savage type lever guns with a box magazine and a different style bolt. There are Savage 99s in modern calibers using spitzer bullets. Including 308 and 243. The Savage lever system is the most modern. The lever is behind the action and drives a bolt/block back and forth. Some of the last ones made have detachable magazines.

The odd one out is the 1895 Winchester. It's really a third type that John Browning worked on to have a box magazine and better locking lugs for high powered cartridges. Most of the 1895 Winchester guns are expensive collectibles. Browning added extra locking for the pressures.

Here is a Savage action that was made for the Canadian army.
    254_1.JPG

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Levers are great and really fun to shoot. I have a really nice old Marlin barely used in 30-30. I also have (2) Henry's; .357 and .22. They have the best action and are very accurate. Winchesters are very clunky action and I do not like them at all. But they look Cool!

I too have Henry goldens in 22 and 357 as well as Marlin 30-30 AND a winchester. Of the three brands the Henry's are in a league of their own but they are HEAVY!

Top Bottom