• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeteinIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    I'm thinking of getting a lever action to use for deer in Indiana and would welcome any advice. I'm thinking of a Henry or Marlin. My other question is do I get a .38/.357 or .44? Thanks!

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag awhile back and it has quickly become a favorite. If you ever think you might want to hunt something tougher then whitetail deer (hogs, black bear, etc) I'd definitely go with the .44 mag. But if deer were the top end game animal and you planned to do a fair amount of plinking as well, .357 has a lot of offer. I don't doubt that the Henry is nice, but I love the classic look of the Marlin 1894. Supposedly the Marlins are preferred by the cowboy action crowd as being more rugged than some of the competitors, but I don't know this first hand.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm thinking of getting a lever action to use for deer in Indiana and would welcome any advice. I'm thinking of a Henry or Marlin. My other question is do I get a .38/.357 or .44? Thanks!

Welcome to INGO, great first post!

I have taken deer with 1894 in 357 and 44. Both cartridges become a hole different animal in a carbine than from a handgun. As mentioned above, you can't go wrong either way.

If you do decide on a Marlin, go with a pre-Rem:twocents: My favorite deer rifle is a JM 1894ss stoked with Hornady flextips. Very accurate round and a puts game down quickly.

Whatever you do, do it quick! Season will be on us before we know it:rockwoot:

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I would go with the .357 - more than enough stopping power, great home defense round, and allows plinking with .38s

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Marlin in .44. Always thought the Henrys were jut too pretty for me to take to the deer woods. I like optics on my dedicated hunting rifles (my .44 has a 1.5-4.5x32), so the the Marlin is the way to go. The .44 is really in a different class than the .357. Will the .357 do the job? Of course, but the .44 really outclasses it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Marlin 1894 in 44 is a great choice, though I'm sure 357 would do the job--but either way, Marlin has a much better and easier way of mounting optics than the others.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Marlin if you want optics.
    If you want to use iron sights, take a look at the Rossi.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    :twocents: More and throwing a small wrench in. I opted for the .44 ruger carbine several years back and am very pleased. Only downside is that it prefers full 240 gr loads so plinking is out. Factory 180's wont cycle well but hot reloads seem to do ok. I picked up a 1894ss awhile back and like it as well..... just contemplating if i really "Need" two .44s.... (who am i kidding):draw:.

I heard some scuttle a few years ago that the Henry receivers were not built to withstand the pressures of the .44 and there were some potential wear issues, so do some homework before you buy. That and as stated above, them Henry's sure is purty, too purty for my woods.

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have a Puma 92 that I have hunted deer with for the past couple of years. It is in 45 Colt that is hand loaded to 44 mag specs. Has worked well and is a nice light rifle to carry in the woods.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    If you got the money, I would go with the Henry in either caliber. (I like my 44) The new Henry's receiver is drilled and taped with steel inserts for optics. The Henry is rated for the same pressures as the rest of them, 32k if I remember correctly. I like the extra weight when shooting, and they are perty.

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I shoot a pre rem marlin. 1894c 357. This will be the first deer season that i use it for deer. Its a very accurate gun and i'm not worried at all about dropping the deer. Also use 38s for small game.

Top Bottom