Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Get a Remington 7615P

DGG_7894pw.jpg

;)

It don't have to be pretty. I want a couple of 'em.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, shazam! I just was browsing Henry rifle company, and here it is: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/ The Henry Long Ranger!

Might not be a bad idea as a backup SHTF rifle. It comes in .308 and .243, as well. While I don't have a .308 gun right now, I do have a few boxes of good .308 ammo. Hmmm.

I just had a customer in the shop looking for one yesterday. I would love to see one in person. If it's like any other henry, it will be awesome.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Those are awesome looking guns, guys! I want one of each!

I'd really love to see Henry do the Long Ranger in their All Weather finish. That would be HOT! To accept AR mags would be gravy! If they did a tube magazine, it would probably hold 7 or 8 rounds, but it wouldn't be quick to reload.

In a tube magazine fed rifle the sharpness of the 223 bullets will likely cause detonation of ammunition within the tube.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    The bigger problem is that you would be limited to blunt-tipped bullets. The reason you never see pointed bullets in .30-30 or .222 loads is that in a tube magazine each bullet could/would act under recoil as a firing pin with really nasty results.

Guess I had better read all the posts before posting myself.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In a tube magazine fed rifle the sharpness of the 223 bullets will likely cause detonation of ammunition within the tube.

Enter Hornady's "LeverEvolution", specifically designed polymer tipped spitzer type bullets just for a tubular magazine.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does anyone make a lever action rifle in .223/5.56? I was just thinking, if semi auto's or AR style rifles were banned, what would be my rifle of choice to use with my stock of ammo? Of course a bolt action would work, but I feel a lever action would be quicker, or at least more comfortable to cycle quickly, for me, anyway. However, I've never seen nor heard of a lever action in this caliber. I'm not even sure the casing rim design would lend itself to a lever action.

Just curious.

Finnwolf by Sako.

(Yes, I am old. I know stuff. Get over it.)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One more option (expensive now) would be to get a Savage 99 chambered in .22-250 Remington.
    No, it's not .223/5.56, but .22-250 really was one of the calibers offered when it was still being made, and it decisively smokes .223 if you like performance.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Considering the sheer number of AR parts available; I would be surprised if someone doesn't start making a bolt action/straight-pull upper/lower receiver that allows you to convert your rifle to a bolt action using your existing barrel, trigger group, etc. to the maximum extent possible. The Troy pump action rifle is something along these lines, but the next step would be to do it in a way that the home builder can buy just what they need and assemble it themselves.

There are already a number of side-charging receivers available that would make easy conversions to a straight-pull rifle by eliminating the gas system. You could also do the same thing with an AR as is. I guess the big question is what the legal authorities would consider as being too easy to convert to semi-auto, and it is impossible to know at this point. It does kind of highlight the inherent problem in figuring out what to purchase in order to not run afoul of a law that hasn't actually been passed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom