• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Winchester Model 92 lever action rifle with a magazine which is advertised to hold 10 rounds. The 10th LEVERevolution round will go about 80% into the magazine, but no farther.
    Has anybody else found this?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Measured the COAL with the tip against a standard flat nose that does fit? It would not surprise me if the Hornadys are a little longer, the point of the product was to get a little more aerodynamic bullet out of a lever action platform.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    COAL in tube magazine is always an issue. In really big capacity tubes, like my 1873 that holds 18, a little change in bullet type can reduce that by a cartridge.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Another thing to note is that at least with certain calibers, the brass used for Leverevolution loads is trimmed to shorter than SAAMI spec to accommodate the non-traditional ogive of the bullets. It's not an issue if you're shooting the factory ammo, but it can cause problems if you reload and mix it it with other brass as your expander die and crimp die won't touch it without adjustment. It's pretty annoying.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I was understanding that the point of the polymer tip was to allow Spritzer style bullets to be used in a tubular magazine.
    Improved aerodynamics was secondary.
    Correct..

On a side note about the Hornady LEVERevolution brass.

Their 45-70 version of that has shorter brass than regular flat nose 45-70. Found that out the hard way when I have bought some used brass and found that the Hornady brass was shorter than regular Star Line 45-70 brass. If you reload the 45-70 or if you reload Hornady LEVERevolution brass, you might want to check it with your dial calipers

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Interesting...
    Wikipedia lists the .44 Magnum case length as 1.285 inches. My fired .44 Magnum LEVERevolution cases measure 1.260 inches.
    One should probably assume all LEVERevolution cases are shorter than usual.
    Other than reloading concerns, does anyone think there is cause for concern?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Interesting...
    Wikipedia lists the .44 Magnum case length as 1.285 inches. My fired .44 Magnum LEVERevolution cases measure 1.260 inches.
    Yes, obviously Hornady is hoarding brass...

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Interesting...
    Probably in that case not so much but in 45-70 the length of case difference is big enough to throw it off when you're seating a bullet. If I had some more of the Hornady brass I would show you the difference but I got rid of it.

The Hornady brass is shorter so that with the polymer tip bullet they can get the correct overall length.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    44 mag LEVERevolution brass is shorter. Think I just pitched the brass when I tried it. Didn't need the headache
    of keeping so few around the reloading bench. I believe the Hornady reloading manual or somewhere else warns about this.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    44 mag LEVERevolution brass is shorter. Think I just pitched the brass when I tried it. Didn't need the headache
    of keeping so few around the reloading bench. I believe the Hornady reloading manual or somewhere else warns about this.

Yep. The newest Hornady reloading manual actually brings up the Lever Revolution brass.

Top Bottom