• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    While watching Yellowstone, I realized I have a serious deficiency in my collection in that I don't have a lever action rifle yet. My requirements are for target shooting and potential home defense. I've been looking hard at the Marlin 336 and a couple of Henry's but thought I would ask the experts if there are any others I should consider.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Older Winchester 94-1963 models and earlier. I have been also giving the current models of Rossi a hard look. I may try one of them. Pay attention to the calibers. .35 Remington and .32 Winchester special are 2 common calibers where ammo is very expensive-if you can even find it. They tend to make a batch every couple years and when it is gone, it is gone.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Or 45 Colt paired with a Ruger Blackhawk though you would be better off reloading for 45 and 44 because the
    ammo is expensive.
    Marlins are great and if you want an original JM marked one it will cost ya. The Cowboy versions have ballard
    rifling rather than micro groove and are better IMO. My favorite lever is a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 45 Colt. Got the
    non cowboy version in 44 mag that is fun also.
    Avoid the early Remington Marlins from what everyone says. Remington improved the craftsmanship on their later Marlins.
    Never tried a Henry but supposed to be good. Be aware that some are only tube fed while others have a loading gate
    and are tube fed.
    I have a Rossi in 38/357 that is fun. There were burrs on the loading gate that would cut my finger until getting
    worn away from loading.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, ammo was definitely a concern. I looking at .30-.30 or possibly .45 LC or .357 Magnum
    I own a Henry Model X in 45LC. Amazing lever! Ammo is limited but not impossible. Precision One has been my go to for 45LC.
    Local FFL in Otterbein (95 Bravo) has Ammo INC 45LC that I have picked up at a reasonable cost.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Side gate is cool but a front tube load is easier to unload. I would get a pistol caliber. Personally I prefer octagon barrel, but if you're going to carry it much get a round barrel. I don't know where you're at but I have a few of you want to handle some. Several guys on here know, and have, much more than I do for sure. Marlin 336 in 30-30 will be the easiest and probably cheapest to find, if not shoot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a few.;)

For casual shooting, home defense, and woods range deer hunting a Marlin or Winchester in .357 mag is hard to beat. More power and range can be had with a 30-30. Learning how to reload and the investment you make in it will pay returns in short order if you do much shooting.

Here are three vintage Marlins and a Winchester I've acquired and worked on this year.

vintlevrif.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    While watching Yellowstone, I realized I have a serious deficiency in my collection in that I don't have a lever action rifle yet. My requirements are for target shooting and potential home defense. I've been looking hard at the Marlin 336 and a couple of Henry's but thought I would ask the experts if there are any others I should consider.
    .357 Lever, best of both worlds....pistol, and rifle...cheaper..ish than thuty-thuty....I still want a 94 in 30-30....

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Uberti makes an excellent Winchester 1873 copy chambered in .357. You can have a lever gun like Yellowstone and an 1873 like 1883!
    This!
    Nothing sounds like an 1873 Winchester. Steel bolt, and a brass elevator makes an iconic ring that is music to the ears. And that’s before you even pull the trigger.

I blame you Leadeye. Thank you sir!!!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Lots of good advice, it I’ll still add my two cents…

I’ve been a lever guy for a long time, fun, plinking, competition, and hunting.

when my boys were born, I wanted to buy them each something special, something they could keep all their lives and have many uses for. I went through all kinds of scenarios and it hit me, one of my most versatile long guns I had was my old Rossi 1892 in .357. I went a little nicer for them and ended up getting them older Marlin 1894’s. One a standard carbine and the other a cowboy model, just what was. Available at the time.
    my reasoning for those calibers were as follows…

Can start them off young with .38 special
    They can plink cheaper with .38 special all of their lives
    Legal (at the time) for deer hunting in IN
    Could be used for CAS if they ever got into that.
    10 rounds of 357 is nothing to sneeze at for a defensive caliber, especially out of a long gun.
    No matter where they might move to, a lever gun will moser than likely still be legal as opposed to some sort of semi auto.

also, with handloads, a .357 out of a longer barrel will come very close to muzzle energy of a .30-30. I have shot many 180gr JHP’s and I have a SW-GC mold that drops a 195 gr bullet. That will penetrate a lot of meat and keep on pushing!

Top Bottom