• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valor35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette
    I recently purchased a Rossi 92 SS in .357. Pre-safety (1995 or so) but had 'not been shot'. Not positive on that, but it looked like it! The action is a little rough, but it is extremely accurate out to 50 yards (about the limit for my eyes), and is an absolut joy to shoot. It has quickly become my favorite rifle.

natestyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    marlin

I have taken many deer with marlin 1894 in 44 mag. the marlin is side eject verses winchester and puma which are top eject. the side eject is better if you plan to put a scope on

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Lot of good information. Thanks all. I had never heard of Uberti before. I love finding new brands/guns to explore and learn about.

natestyle....I would like to mount a scope if possible, so that is good point that I had not even considered.

Thanks all!

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Get an older Marlin (39A, 336, '94, etc). They were well built and will hold up to use.

The issue with the Marlin is some models have their own carrier and they might not like certain types of rounds to feed. On my '94 I can only shoot the Winchester white box in my .44MAG. Not all have this issue!!!!

IF you can find one, the Browning lever actions leave all else in the dust!

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I've had a marlin 45/70 that was awesome and recently got my dad a Henery golden boy HMR17. It is amazing. I would say marlin or Henry are both great choices.

445supermag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Rising Sun, IN
    I HAVE A WINCHESTER M#150 HAMERLESS 22 CAL, M#94 IN A 30/30 & M# 94AE IN 44 MAG I HAVE GOTTEN DEER WITH THE 44 MAG. 1 MARLIN 1894 IN 357 MAG. I SHOT A 4 PT BUCK IN THE HEAD WITH THIS GUN.
    ROSSI 357MAG LARGE LOOP THEY ALL SHOT GOD.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I can add lots to this thread. I love lever 22 and have most all of them made.

Since no one has yet mentioned it the Winchester model 9422 m or 9422 XTR is the ultimate in 22 rimfire rifles. 22 lever rifles are a bit of a thing for me. I have many.

The Winchester gets top rating for fit, finish, materals, smoothness, and collectablity. I have one 22 mag and 2 22 long rifles. 2 are XTR's and one a trails end pistol grip. I prefer straight grip for shooting carbine rifles.

The marlin 39a is the best if you want a full size (man Size) 22. The are a little more accurate than the winchester but not much. Top rating for accuracy. 24 inch Microgroove barrel has something to do with that. I have 3 left. I also have a 1890 marlin 22 but it does not get shot much. Standard vel shells only and no real replacement parts. SO I have 4 considering the 1890 is a pre 39 or pre pre 39a. I have a first year 39 also so 5 total.

The marlin 39a mountie is the smaller size and is compairable to the XTR's except it is not as fancy finished. I shoot this one the most. Seems to fit my personallity. I like to carry it around and hunt with it. I have 2 left. One true mountie and one model 39m.

The browning BL-22 is equal to the win XTR in fit and finish in the grade II version. In grade I or standard it is a bit less. The 33 degree lever throw is nice and you can stay on target best with it for follow up shots. The triggers are not as good as the above and take some gettting used to. I have 2 left. The older the better here.

The henry is OK but i do not own one. Plastic sights and barrel bands, reciever covers and alumi brass stuff just is not for me yet. I will have one just never had the chance to snag one at the right price. I would look at the higher end ones as the h-001 has the plastic. I have zero left. I am not picking on henry in any way here.

The mossburg palimino is a rare bird and a very nice lever action. I see very few for sale and the last one I saw I bought. Not as nice as any above (except the Henry) but far more rare than any of the above. I have 2 left. Might be the best firearm mossburg made ever.

The rem model 76 Nylon 22 is somewhat rare. I have the one in mohawk brown and one in apache black/stainless. They are nylons and were inexpensive rifles for the time. They are collectable as the nylon 66's are. They were billed as the worlds fastest lever action but I think the bl-22 is faster. I have 2 left. These were like 59 dollar rifle in the 1960-1970 so they have increased in vvalue over everything else precentage wise over time. 59 dollars to 500 plus.

The iver johnson Wagonmaster/ithica saddlegun is a lever action 22 OK but not what I would buy If I did not collect 22 lever actions. Both the same gun just made by different companies. I have one of each. This model is basicly the Henry lever of today. I guess it is why I don't have a herny.

The ERMA and west germany marked single shot lever actions and the Erma imported by Iver johnson are my least favorite. These are slightly different than the wagonmasters. They have some issues with the lifter on the repeater and the single shot acts like there is not rifling in the barrel but you can see it. I have one each.

There you got it.

Want accuracy in a full size riffle the marlin 39a. Want a show piece BBQ gun the browning. Want a good tree rat hunting size gun the marlin 39m Or mountie. want it all the Winchester 9422 XTR. If you are budget minded and watch infomercials get the henry with fake brass and plastic sights barrel bands and alumally stuff, If you love a nylon 66 get the nylon 76 and stay away from the wagon master or saddlegun and the cheaper verson from east germany.

My 3 cents worth.

Last edited:

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Last indy 1500 bought the low model henry repeater for $265.... didnt think that was too bad of a price. Shot about 150rds out of it and very accurate. I dont know why but I think i perfer bolt action. I think for me it makes me aim a little longer because I know I have to cycle the bolt again.

hoagyfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    i am very fond of the marlins in most any caliber... but the older ones, pre-1998, seem to be the best... winchesters great too...then theres henry

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Marlin is hands down the winner. Anything from the 70's and before is the best. Only JM marked too.
    The 39A is the best level 22 ever made.
    The action is firm.
    The 336 is a great 30-30 as well!

When I hold a Henry I get that feeling like something in the action is just missing, its smooth and feels way to easy.

In every 22 I've ever owned, I come back to my 39A and my Model 60 for accuracy, nothing else holds a candle to it. Many a squirrel has been taken with both those!

Top Bottom