• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My only centerfire leverguns are a 30-30 Marlin 336, and a .44 mag Rossi 92. Both are fun to shoot, and both are capable for taking out anything in this area. I noticed the OP stated octagon barrel. My .44 mag has the octagon barrel. It does look cool as hell, but I also wanted the heavy barrel to aid in accuracy. The .44 is a big round and makes a big hole in the barrel. It needs a lot of steel around it to keep the barrel stiff so it resists harmonic vibrations better. Had I gone with the .357, I probably would have stayed with the round barrel to keep it light. Plus... I was swayed a bit by the coolness of it... However, it, shoots very well, and isn't heavy enough to really slow me down too much. I may be an old fat cripple, but I'm a big, strong (6' 1" 275) old, fat, cripple. The 30-30 has the standard round barrel, and it shoots pretty well too. Can't say I've ever seen a 30-30 with an octagon barrel. If all you need is the farm critter gun the .357 may be the best choice. I also remember the Henry being mentioned. That gun is a different animal than most lever guns with its different loading system. Not sure if that matters to the OP. I know the Henry has a good following, and they make good quality stuff, but I never liked the design. I like having the loading gate on the side.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wouldn't overlook older guns like the Winchester 1892 or 1894. I have both in various calibers and would put them against any modern lever gun of the same caliber.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 2 Henry Levers. I love to shoot them both. I have a 44mag and the 45-70. I have shot the 44mag the most. I love to reload and that round is cheap. I have been working on a pet load and have one that I really like.

The Marlin's are great if you get a good one. Quality is hit and miss over the years. The JM Stamped seem to be the preferred. But they sell used for what I can buy a new Henry.

I will eventually have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I love the ideal of a 45-70 with a longer barrel.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I love older Marlins, but I can't disparage the Henry's. .45 and .44 get the nod for fun factor, for sure, but .357 walks away with the prize for cost, versatility, and overall shootability. Throw some cheapie .38s in it for plinking, or a 158 grain full house .357 thumper to give Mr. Coyote a seriously bad day.

Top Bottom