• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I'm looking at getting a Marlin 1894 lever action, and I'm debating on which caliber to get - the .44 mag or the .357 mag version.

I already have a .357 revolver, so I'm leaning toward sticking with that caliber. What is the difference in range with these two calibers out of an 18" or 20" barrel? Assuming I can keep my shots in an 8" pie-plate, what distance could I reasonably expect to shoot deer with these rifles? Are we talking a 25 yard difference between them? 50 yards?

I'd appreciate some advice here. Thanks!
    -----------
    GoBoilers!

bselzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    i have hunted with both and if you are planning on shooting 75 yards or less the 357 will do you fine, but after 75 to 100 yards the it falls off quite a bit. i have actually lost deer by shooting them further than a hundred yards with my 357. now the 44 packs a heck of alot more punch after that 75 yard marker and i have taken deer at up to 175 yards with my 44. hope that helps.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The trajectory, and hence range at which you can hit something with these two rounds is virtually identical. The terminal effect on what is hit is the difference. The .357 will do the job on deer-size game on down in Indiana at the typical ranges of both of these cartridges. So, if you're leaning that direction, there's no reason not to. The .44 mag is more, obviously, but you may find you don't need more for your needs. The trajectory of either load usually gets a bit loopy past 125 yds.

357 or 44 for lever carbine-ballistic curves? - Shooters Forum

Hornady used to have a page directly comparing their .357 and .44 Leverevolution offerings, but unfortunately, it looks like it's gone (or moved).

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I don't have any knowledge on range between the 2 calibers but I would stick to a .357 if you intend to keep that revolver. I think there would be some advantage to having your revolver and your rifle being the same caliber.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If your going to deer hunt you need to give the deer some credit, their hair and skin seems to shut down blood flow pretty good, this has been covered but Bigger hole = more blood let out = faster kills = more deer recovered

the hornady leverevolution ammo has some pretty good ballistics, Compromising on hunting performance for the sake of having 2 guns the same caliber is not a fair trade off

So my answer is get the 44 and look at the hornady leverevolution ammo

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At ranges under 100 yards all is equal. I chose the 44 mag and have the 44 mag and 357 handgun. I would pick up a 1894 css or 1894 c if I could ever find one for sale.

If i was a cowboy then having the same round in both would be great (my van has bigger saddle bags than a horse). I don't care for 44 mag in handguns under 8 inch barrels, the 357 is a 2 inch barrel and is perfect carry gun (BUT NOT INDIANA DEER LEGAL). If I am hunting with a rifle 44 mag I don't need to carry a revolver personally( i have never needed a finishing off shot and I will make chip shots with the rifle easier) The extra hip weight can be replaced by bino's or my new favorite shooting stick. I am mainly a still hunter.

I now reload and my handgun rounds for the 44 mag and 44 revolver are much different. I mean they shoot ok in both but I can make the rifle rounds really sing in the rifle and the same load in the pistol is a bit harsh on the hand. I have shot lots of deer with a 14 inch 44 mag contender barrel but I can shoot a 16 in barreled marlin much better than the handcannon. I loose about 100 FPS in the 14 inch t/c over the 16 inch marlin. Yes my marlin is a short barreled little sucker.
    DSC03057.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

I went with a 16 inch barrel 44 mag. The 18 inch 357 is every bit as easy to carry even the 20 inch barreled versions are much lighter and smaller than my 870 12 gauge deer gun. That helps me on still hunts.

I would choose 180 grain 357's in a rifle driven hard by littlegun powder. Loads like these will deliver about the same effect on deer as the 210 grain 44 mag leverevolution.
    That 1894c is about the easiest shooting little sucker on the market with 38 specials.

My normal range on deer is less than 100 yards by far. More like 50 yards.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'd go with the 44 mag if you are anticipating shots in the 100yd+ range. The .357 realy starts losing energy beyond 75yds or so. Also, if you're using this for hunting, i really see no point in carrying a revolver with you. You might carry a backup revolver if you're using a muzzleloader during firearms season, but not with a repeating rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If your going to deer hunt you need to give the deer some credit, their hair and skin seems to shut down blood flow pretty good, this has been covered but Bigger hole = more blood let out = faster kills = more deer recovered

couldn't have said it better. i would add that shot placment is key and you have a little more room for error with the larger bullet and more knock down power

go 44 or 45lc

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    .357 will be less expensive to shoot and .38 special is light in the recoil department. Having a carbine share the same cartridge as your revolver would be nice. For what it is worth I did not have any problems killing a deer with the .357.

Top Bottom