• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What is your LGS charging for powder and primers? Have they had any in stock? I just took a ride to a LGS about a half hour north of me and about crapped my undies.

Close to $40/K on primers and get this - $200 on 8 pound jugs of powder and $25 to $28ish on 1 pounders. I'm all for making money, this is still America, but holy cow talk about taking advantage of the situation. I haven't bought any powder online because I think the guys charging $160 for a $120 jug of powder are out of their minds. There is no way in the world I would ever pay $200 plus tax for 8 pounds of powder. I used to frequent this shop fairly often and between my Uncle, his father, and myself, we've spent thousands "supporting the little guy". It's unfortunate really but I will no longer be spending my money there. There is a growing list of people and places who have taken advantage of this whole mess in the last year that I will no longer support. I will continue to support the businesses that have kept their prices relatively the same as pre-panic.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Hodgdon powder seemed like it was running around $22/lb before the recent scarcity. $25-28 doesn't seem like that much of a price increase considering.

$40/K on primers is a bit of a jump, seems like I used to pay around $2 for a box of 100. But, I think $35-40 for a K of primers is pretty much the going rate these days.

If you don't like the prices, don't pay them. Either somebody else will buy them or the guy will eventually lower his prices.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    I don't have any data to back my statement but I would imagine some of the price increase is that the LGS is also paying more to get the components to stock their shelves. I would highly doubt they are still paying pre-panic prices, thereby increasing what they have to charge. Not to say that there's some level of gouging happening out there. Sucks either way though.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'm paying $30 per 1000 for CCI primers and $16 per pound for Bullseye pistol powder and $20.50 for IMR 8208 XBR Rifle powder.

yep, I paid 4# Power Pistol for $64 and 8# H335 for $160, +tax at IN Gun Club.

$30+ tax for CCI 400 primers at 1500 gun show.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought 15,000 CCI primers from Midway USA for less then $30 per 1000 when I split the cost with two other people. The powder is from an old guy in Michigan (93 yrs to be exact) He buys from a place in Central Michigan and only charges 5% over his cost for components and guns. Another guy in Indiana does the transfer for $10.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    I bought 15,000 CCI primers from Midway USA for less then $30 per 1000 when I split the cost with two other people. The powder is from an old guy in Michigan (93 yrs to be exact) He buys from a place in Central Michigan and only charges 5% over his cost for components and guns. Another guy in Indiana does the transfer for $10.

So, do you travel there, and he has to "transfer" to you because of out of state? OR, do you have it shipped for $10? Straighten me out, if you would, please. I'm slow.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

So, do you travel there, and he has to "transfer" to you because of out of state? OR, do you have it shipped for $10? Straighten me out, if you would, please. I'm slow.

Gluemanz28,
    I am curious about the guy in Michigan too. Does he have a shop and regularly ships across state lines or is this a special deal that he gives only to you because the both of you are friends?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is your LGS charging for powder and primers? Have they had any in stock? I just took a ride to a LGS about a half hour north of me and about crapped my undies.

Close to $40/K on primers and get this - $200 on 8 pound jugs of powder and $25 to $28ish on 1 pounders. I'm all for making money, this is still America, but holy cow talk about taking advantage of the situation. I haven't bought any powder online because I think the guys charging $160 for a $120 jug of powder are out of their minds. There is no way in the world I would ever pay $200 plus tax for 8 pounds of powder. I used to frequent this shop fairly often and between my Uncle, his father, and myself, we've spent thousands "supporting the little guy". It's unfortunate really but I will no longer be spending my money there. There is a growing list of people and places who have taken advantage of this whole mess in the last year that I will no longer support. I will continue to support the businesses that have kept their prices relatively the same as pre-panic.

Not bad prices. Did you say hello to Jetgirl?

When everybody, including the LGS, has to pay more for stuff, why do you think they should be charging you the same as when their cost was lower?

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

When everybody, including the LGS, has to pay more for stuff, why do you think they should be charging you the same as when their cost was lower?

Maybe I'm just a cheap SOB - $200 for an 8 pound jug is a good price? I've gotten powder cheaper online in the last year, and that includes a Hazmat fee AND shipping fees.

Like I said, this is still America and I'm all for making money. I didn't name the LGS, nor am I "calling them out" as thieves or any nonsense like that. They are free to charge whatever they want to charge, as I am free to **** chat for a few minutes and walk out the door with nothing purchased. Yes I'm sure their price has gone up this past year, but no way it has gone up 40% as their current price would indicate. There is a reason they have hundreds of pounds of the most popular powders sitting on shelves.

Regarding the primers - I'm an end user buying at full retail, and I'm paying about $22 to $23 per thousand on Wolf and/or Tulammo - this is shipped with a Hazmat and Shipping charge. This store is most definitely buying their stuff cheaper than I do through Midway, but they are selling their (Wolf/Tulammo) primers at OVER $30 per thousand plus tax.

To each their own. This is still a market economy - either this store just got a huge shipment of powder in this morning or last night and that is the reason they have so much sitting on the shelves, or their customers know they are asking an outlandish price for their wares. If the latter is true, they will eventually have to come down in price or continue to sit on inventory.

Last ramble - Jetgirl works up at Tomlinson's if memory serves me correct - IF this is the store I'm talking about AND Jetgiril was there, then Jetgirl was either not there, or is actually Jetdude - because the handful of employees there were male. I'm a nurse - I promise I can tell the difference.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

I agree. I think they are fair...plus the store is worth the extra few bucks.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I saw some primers for just under $40. Did some quick math and it still works out to be $.04 a round. I'd like it better if it was $.03 or $.025 a round but they were there, no waiting, no shipping and no hazmat. Sometimes convenience is worth the price.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Gluemanz28,
    I am curious about the guy in Michigan too. Does he have a shop and regularly ships across state lines or is this a special deal that he gives only to you because the both of you are friends?

The guy in Michigan used to do it for everybody but now due to his health and age he wants to focus more on skeet and trap shooting which is his passion. He is no longer taking on new people. Some people have stuck him with orders that they place and then when he calls them to let them know their gun is in they come up with lame excuses. He doesn't charge a deposit so his money is tied up. I have bought the guns from him to help him out and then started the call to friends to let them know about the gun. It has never taken me more than a day to find a buyer with the great price.

I only live about 15 minutes from him even though he lives in Michigan. The guy in Indiana makes a trip twice a week to pick up the guns and transfer for $10 per gun.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Y'know, here's the thing about little places: they don't get to buy stuff as cheap as Midway or Cabelas does. It's the same thing as a local mom-and-pop hardware store vs HomeDepot. Yeah, I can walk into HomeDepot and buy certain things cheaper than the local hardware store can get them. It a scale of economy, the more you buy the cheaper you get. If you don't like these prices, go pay 50¢ retail per round for .45ACP and have a completely unturned round for your pistol. Heck, I've been paying in the mid-thirties for the last hundred pounds of powder or so. These ARE the new prices, get over it. If you can't handle these facts, I'd be happy to purchase your left over powder at $20/pound. $160 for an 8lb'er is a deal I haven't seen in a while.

I love when people complain about Walmart and how they ruin the small shops but then people complain about things like powder from a LGS. It's the exact same thing.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    The guy in Michigan used to do it for everybody but now due to his health and age he wants to focus more on skeet and trap shooting which is his passion. He is no longer taking on new people. Some people have stuck him with orders that they place and then when he calls them to let them know their gun is in they come up with lame excuses. He doesn't charge a deposit so his money is tied up. I have bought the guns from him to help him out and then started the call to friends to let them know about the gun. It has never taken me more than a day to find a buyer with the great price.

I only live about 15 minutes from him even though he lives in Michigan. The guy in Indiana makes a trip twice a week to pick up the guns and transfer for $10 per gun.

Okay, thanks for the reply! :yesway:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Y'know, here's the thing about little places: they don't get to buy stuff as cheap as Midway or Cabelas does. It's the same thing as a local mom-and-pop hardware store vs HomeDepot. Yeah, I can walk into HomeDepot and buy certain things cheaper than the local hardware store can get them. It a scale of economy, the more you buy the cheaper you get. If you don't like these prices, go pay 50¢ retail per round for .45ACP and have a completely unturned round for your pistol. Heck, I've been paying in the mid-thirties for the last hundred pounds of powder or so. These ARE the new prices, get over it. If you can't handle these facts, I'd be happy to purchase your left over powder at $20/pound. $160 for an 8lb'er is a deal I haven't seen in a while.

I love when people complain about Walmart and how they ruin the small shops but then people complain about things like powder from a LGS. It's the exact same thing.

Funny you say that, I just bought 1k primers for $32 a couple of weeks ago. From a smaller shop. Also a pound of powder for $28. In my mind you are over paying if you are paying in the mid thirties for a pound of powder and $40 for 1k primers. Paying high prices will just keep them that high. So if you want them to be the new prices, keep buying, otherwise, go have a look around and save yourself some money. That is the main reason people reload.

I walked out of a store this past fall because the prices on their reloading supplies were more than I wanted to pay. I will gladly make a longer drive and in the long run spend more money because of gas to support a shop that sells the components at a reasonable price. Shops that have high prices can sit on their product for all I care and be forced to lower them or go out of business. The $25-28 per 1 pound of powder isn't exactly new. I've been paying that for about 3 years for Hodgdon Titegroup and H4895, but I refuse to pay more than $33 for 1k primers.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Funny you say that, I jabought 1k primers for $32 a couple of weeks ago. From a smaller shop. Also a pound of powder for $28. In my mind you are over paying if you are paying in the mid thirties for a pound of powder and $40 for 1k primers. Paying high prices will just keep them that high. So if you want them to be the new prices, keep buying, otherwise, go have a look around and save yourself some money. That is the main reason people reload.

I walked out of a store this past fall because the prices on their reloading supplies were more than I wanted to pay. I will gladly make a longer drive and in the long run spend more money because of gas to support a shop that sells the components at a reasonable price. Shops that have high prices can sit on their product for all I care and be forced to lower them or go out of business. The $25-28 per 1 pound of powder isn't exactly new. I've been paying that for about 3 years for Hodgdon Titegroup and H4895, but I refuse to pay more than $33 for 1k primers.

Where can I get it though? I burn like 8lbs of 231, 8lbs of 748 and 4-6lbs of Varget per month plus some other this and that. Burn, not stockpile. It's not that I enjoy these prices, but there is no other way to keep shooting if I refuse to pay them.

As a matter of fact, I just had to develop a new 45 load with HS6 as I'm out and can't find it at any price.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Where can I get it though? I burn like 8lbs of 231, 8lbs of 748 and 4-6lbs of Varget per month plus some other this and that. Burn, not stockpile. It's not that I enjoy these prices, but there is no other way to keep shooting if I refuse to pay them.

As a matter of fact, I just had to develop a new 45 load with HS6 as I'm out and can't find it at any price.

I never claimed it would be easy...

I don't shoot much anymore because of prices and lack of availability. I'm not someone who NEEDS to shoot a lot. My daily life doesn't depend on my ability to shoot thousands of rounds a month. You could be in a different situation for all I know, but buying at high prices will not lower the price. It's the same reason all of the other ammunition is back down to it's regular price except .22 LR. People are still stupid enough to buy a $20 box of .22's for $60, therefore keeping the sellers who camp out at the shops and buy it all up to stay in "business".

I'm just saying that the prices you are paying are not the "new prices" and telling someone to resort to buying factory ammo or buy at high prices is the wrong way to look at it. One thing business will teach you is that consumer's are the ones making the prices. If something isn't selling because it is too expensive, the distributor or the shop will be forced to lower the price or go out of business. It's all about willpower.

Top Bottom