• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    Do i need to have a licence to go with a friend that has been trying to get me to go with him bird hunting, i really just want to see the dogs work and to give it a try, wont take a gun.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Do i need to have a licence to go with a friend that has been trying to get me to go with him bird hunting, i really just want to see the dogs work and to give it a try, wont take a gun.

Nope *** no gun, you are not hunting. One word of advise, if he shoots anything, he has to carry it, to carry it, is to have it in your possession, and requires a license with the appropriate stamps.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I am also going to say YES. Even if you dont have a gun, a DNR officer will most likely give you a ticket. Trust me, I have been there and done that. A good friend of mine went rabbit hunting with me about 2 years ago and got a ticket for hunting without a license. He didnt have a gun, a shotgun shell, or a rabbit on him. He still got a ticket.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    if your out with some one hunting then you too are hunting(shaking the bush)too and YES you do need a licence

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    If you are assisting in the taking of game then you need a license.
    If you are not assisting in any way....just an observer then you are good to go.
    Don't handle the dog, don't retreive, don't shake the bush, etc.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    What Mike said...now you might run into an over zealous CO and he might write you up anyway as "participating in the hunt".

Buy a license..Indiana needs the money. ;)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I had a similar-ish experience recently. My father-in-law came to visit for Thanksgiving and we went hunting on Black Friday. We got him a temporary out of state hunting license so he could squirrel hunt. I took my muzzleloader so I could hunt deer until midday, then switched to squirrel. I called DNR to make sure it would be kosher. They told me as long as he didn't touch the muzzleloader, we'd be fine. I made sure to write down the person's name that I spoke with and double clarified my situation and question. I would have fought any ticket we might have received.

In your situation, it would be best to have at least a general hunting license. It might save you some grief. But honestly, it's only $17 for the general license and another $6.75 for the bird stamp. How much more fun can you have for less than $25?

By the way, anyone know the best way to see tons of squirrels? Go deer hunting. Wanna know how to see hundreds of woodpeckers, blue jays, and cardinals? Go squirrel hunting. We walked out of the woods after 10 hours with as much ammunition as we walked in with.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I had a similar-ish experience recently. My father-in-law came to visit for Thanksgiving and we went hunting on Black Friday. We got him a temporary out of state hunting license so he could squirrel hunt. I took my muzzleloader so I could hunt deer until midday, then switched to squirrel. I called DNR to make sure it would be kosher. They told me as long as he didn't touch the muzzleloader, we'd be fine. I made sure to write down the person's name that I spoke with and double clarified my situation and question. I would have fought any ticket we might have received.

In your situation, it would be best to have at least a general hunting license. It might save you some grief. But honestly, it's only $17 for the general license and another $6.75 for the bird stamp. How much more fun can you have for less than $25?

By the way, anyone know the best way to see tons of squirrels? Go deer hunting. Wanna know how to see hundreds of woodpeckers, blue jays, and cardinals? Go squirrel hunting. We walked out of the woods after 10 hours with as much ammunition as we walked in with.

One can squirrel hunt with a muzzleloader...

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    There are really two ways to look at it and any individual CO might look at it two ways as well. I would suggest getting the proper license as insurance. If you should happen to spook a bird while just walking with a hunter you are considered a hunter. It is stated on the IN DNR sight that if you are helping a hunter take game you must have a license. The reference is to deer hunting and "pushing" deer but I think it would stand for birds as well as in hind-sight you are "pushing" birds the whole time you are hunting. It really is a grey area and I feel it should be amended to allow others to see hunting. I really feel it is a crap shoot as a CO really could look at it in either way and with the wrong CO he could easily say you were there to help take game. I suggest buying the required licence and maybe get involved in the hunt after a little range time. Who knows, you may want to go back out with your buddy anyway and give it a go after watching it. Either route you go, enjoy it and be safe!!!

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I think of ALL the laws they don't post prominently, this is one that really needs clarification.

My wife loves to go coyote hunting with me, so I've heard if she's sitting with me, and we're calling, she's gotta have a license. We do get her a license.

Usually, she hunts shotgun, but after shotgun season, she's happy hunting with a camera during muzzleloader, sitting in her condo drinking coffee by the heater waiting to click a deer come through. Does she need a license?

What if she just goes out and waits for me in the truck, no gun, just her coffee and maybe my lab mix to keep her company?

I'm taking from what I've read in previous threads, these knuckleheads can take it upon themselves to decide if they're going to give her a ticket or not, depending on their mood.:xmad:

Sounds like once I do find the official clarification, I'll copy it, laminate it, and carry copies on myself, my truck and in my safe.:):

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I think of ALL the laws they don't post prominently, this is one that really needs clarification.

Just IMHO...

Yes, and the "baiting" law is another.

My wife loves to go coyote hunting with me, so I've heard if she's sitting with me, and we're calling, she's gotta have a license. We do get her a license.

You stated that "we're calling, she would need a license. They could also say that she is a spotter too.

Usually, she hunts shotgun, but after shotgun season, she's happy hunting with a camera during muzzleloader, sitting in her condo drinking coffee by the heater waiting to click a deer come through. Does she need a license?

If she is by herself and does not have a gun (except a carry permit handgun) she should not need a license for wildlife photograpy.

What if she just goes out and waits for me in the truck, no gun, just her coffee and maybe my lab mix to keep her company?

No license needed.

I'm taking from what I've read in previous threads, these knuckleheads can take it upon themselves to decide if they're going to give her a ticket or not, depending on their mood.:xmad:

Yes, they are granted a LOT of leeway

Sounds like once I do find the official clarification, I'll copy it, laminate it, and carry copies on myself, my truck and in my safe.:):

If you find it please post it for all of us

Thanks

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    I love bird hunting. I think you should purchase a license and take a gun with you. If you are like me - you'll be hooked after the first day.

My wife likes to go just to watch the dogs work - we always purchase her hunting license and game bird stamp.

I hope that you enjoy it!

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Willie-Thanks for the concise answers, and once I find the laws, I'll be happy to post a link.

Disengaged-We were just adopted by a (2year old??) Lab/Aussy Shepard Mix who isn't gun shy and loves the scent on a trail, so we'll be spending a bit more time in the fields hunting birds now. Thanks for the push to get out and do it!!

Top Bottom