• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did he offer guidance for accomplishing this necessity of registration? Could take a while!

I heard a new one today. I bought a Ruger LCP 380 from an older gentleman today.
    He told me to be careful carrying the gun. I said I have a license and can carry legally. He said my permit was no good if the hand gun wasn't registered to me. I repeated that my license made it alright for me to carry the gun. He said my permit was no good if the gun wasn't registered in my name. I ask where he got this information and he said he read it some where. I told him I didn't think that was correct and he should look into it more. He said there was no need to look further, that he would never carry a gun that wasn't registered to him.
    I didn't think to ask where I had to register this gun, to make my "permit" legal.

Didn't want to get into a long discussion so I dropped it.
    Hickory

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I agree with Vert (post #11). While untrue, I wouldn't carry (or buy) a gun if there was any doubt as to the gun's history, or the reputability of the person selling it.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    This is a really common misconception. I had a LOT of customers ask me about how to register their gun when I sold guns at the Mtn. I don't know if they were told this by someone (...older maybe) or if they were from states that do require registration. A quick basic IN gun law chat usually cleared that up.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When I turned 21 in 1979 I bought a H&R 22 revolver. I actually took it to the local police dept and tried to get it registered. The officer was VERY kind and didnn't even make fun of me. He explained how Indiana did not have a registration and sent me on my way. I thunk if that happened today (firearm in the station) I would be face planted for sure. LOL

Last edited:

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    That was an OLDER GENTLEMAN, it was a requirement that the License To Carry Handguns in Indiana only covered handguns that were registered to the licensee. But, Indiana did away with that requirement in the late SIXTIES.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Many years ago in Indiana there was a requirement to register a handgun with your local police agency. That requirement is long gone. This gentleman may be stuck in the past.

Registration disappeared long before the LCP came out, so I wouldn't cut him any slack on it. The seller didn't register it either.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    ^^^^ This (mostly)^^^^

I remember having to take the handgun to the Sheriff when I applied for my original license. If I recall correctly, I could carry a different handgun but at least one had to be associated with the license. This was the practice sometime in the early to mid 80's. I did not have to "register" all my handguns but they had to see one before I could carry concealed.

Just for info:
    I know you didn't have to in the early 90's. Just stop in and fill out the form and proceed to the next step.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Registration disappeared long before the LCP came out, so I wouldn't cut him any slack on it. The seller didn't register it either.
    ^^ This.
    I would have been interested to know where he'd registered the gun in his name.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Don't laugh too hard.
    Yes, this old guy is totally wrong...now.
    Just give the antis enough time unchallenged, and they'll see to it that you'll be required to not just have your carry sidearm registered, but all of your guns with it.
    Of course, by that time, they'll also probably have seen to it that LTCH is done away with altogether.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is actually a very common misconception. Many if not most people believe that filling out a form 4473 is registration. Truth be told I would be somewhat cautious about carrying a gun that was not purchased by me from a reputable shop or purchased from a person that I knew fairly well. Never know where a stolen gun could turn up.
    You can just as easily purchase a stolen gun from a shop.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can just as easily purchase a stolen gun from a shop.

That is true! Just because a used gun is purchased from a shop does not mean it has not been reported as stolen. The shop will however have a record of the purchase. So a person might take the ride but it would be very easy to prove that the firearm was purchased legally and proof that you did not steal the gun.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    When I lived in Michigan ... you had to obtain a "Permit to Purchase" for handguns ... make the purchase with 14? days ... then take the Permit & the Gun to the Local PD for a "Safety Check" ... Do not remember if they put the Serial Number on the Card ... but I still have one someplace - just dont have the handgun anymore ...

Not sure if things have changed since the new CCW permit rules changed making it easier ... just have to take a Class / Range Time

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    Many years ago in Indiana there was a requirement to register a handgun with your local police agency. That requirement is long gone. This gentleman may be stuck in the past.

I'm sure there are members here who can cite the dates and specific requirement.

You are right. Way back in the 1970's, not only did you have to take your weapon to the local PD for a ballistics test (they fire the weapon), you also had to write a letter explaining why you needed to carry one.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Read your Indiana LTCH guys, it states " ANY HANDGUN LAWFULL POSSESSED BY LICENSEE " . I'm pretty sure that means YOU didn't steal it.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I know several people who have bought guns still think the paperwork you fill out when buying a gun is a registration just like there are those that still believe you need a handgun license to buy a handgun. Remember, there are many owners that don't have the internet, read up on gun laws, etc. They just want a gun to have in the house or plink around the farm or whatever so they head to the LGS, fill out the paperwork, sign the dotted line and take it home. All their knowledge concerning gun laws does in fact comes from what they are told by other people. For ever gun owner that keeps up-to-date on every gun law and/or fact there is probably another gun owner that doesn't bother and could care less.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Read your Indiana LTCH guys, it states " ANY HANDGUN LAWFULL POSSESSED BY LICENSEE " . I'm pretty sure that means YOU didn't steal it.

Mine says, and I quote,

"You are hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on your person or in a vehicle, any lawfully possessed handgun."

I'd say that's pretty clear language.
    Now, what's the LEGAL meaning of the term "...lawfully possessed..."?

Top Bottom