Licensing for the 2nd Amendment is bad, but for the 1st?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As a politician, the president’s freedom to speak is only limited by political capital. He could do a lot better in that regard than he’s done so far. I really wish he would stop acting like an ******* and more like a president. The political capital he earned with me for Gorsuch and deregulation has been all but spent on his many unforced errors, failures in healthcare, and stupid tweets, and generally acting like an *******.

I’ve said many times, if a sane candidate ran against him in a primary or general election I’d drop Trump like a used rubber.

Man, that was an unfortunate choice of unit name! Regardless, supporting someone while they attack the Bill of Rights is simply anti-American. I swore to support and defend the constitution, not a man. And I swore to obey the lawful orders of the President and appointed officers, not agree with their anti-1A ramblings.

That is quite speculatory to suggest I think Trump can do no good. I've been pretty even-handed with Trump, and defended him on this board. He's done some stuff I highly regard. But I just don't write blank checks to politicians. And in this he is wrong.

You think he is making fools of the media. I think he is making fools of those who justify everything he does by making him out to be the world's biggest troll. If that's what he really is, then congratulations. He got me. Now it's time to grow up and scrap Obamacare and fix the tax code. But I don't think he's just trolling folks. I think there are certain issues where he is batting for the other team, and his sycophants are falling for his BS hook, line and sinker.

These things aren't really in the President's baliwick are they? It's Congress that screwed up healthcare and the tax code, and the onus is on them to fix it, not the President.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought Trump was the great dealmaker, negotiator. The last president was actively involved in getting Obamacare passed. This one doesn't seem to give a flying **** and seems to be content watching his campaign promises go down in smoke as long as he has someone to blame for it.

I want Obamacare gutted and I expect the president, who promised to do that, to work at least as hard to get it gone as Obama did to get that abomination passed. Yes, Congress is to blame but so is the president to the extent that he put little effort to help reach a deal.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps his heart is just not in 'fixing' that albatross. He wanted it dead

Re: Your desire to have ACA gutted. The two executive actions Trump took this week are a big step forward

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/325th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)
    • 1st BN Red Falcons
    • 2nd Bn White Falcons
    • 3rd BN Blue Falcons

You can forgive? That is mighty nice of you. All you've got is name calling.

We get it Trump can do no good. You are as bad as the MSMBS.

BTW I never defended him on this. I just think he is making fools of all those running around with their hair on fire, and I like it.

First . . . thank you for your service.
    Second . . . I've highlighted your last point. The POTUS knows he cannot revoke licenses that do not exist. It certainly got all their panties in giant wads giving them apoplexy. They took the bait. Fake retribution threats in response to fake news. I can imagine he's sitting back doing a ROTFLMFAO somewhere in the White House. It's apparently caused some stir here. In the meantime he's rolled back several things to push back on Congress telling them to get to work and do something. He's unconventional. Something that shouldn't be surprising given his POTUS campaign.

John

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I thought Trump was the great dealmaker, negotiator. The last president was actively involved in getting Obamacare passed. This one doesn't seem to give a flying **** and seems to be content watching his campaign promises go down in smoke as long as he has someone to blame for it.

I want Obamacare gutted and I expect the president, who promised to do that, to work at least as hard to get it gone as Obama did to get that abomination passed. Yes, Congress is to blame but so is the president to the extent that he put little effort to help reach a deal.

But the bottom line is, all any President can do is cheer from the sidelines and hope his "team" wins. He can't make them win if they don't want even want to play. Obama had the majority party in both houses, but the difference is, his team played. All these RINOs should be relegated to water boys and get some real players in there to take their place.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    These things aren't really in the President's baliwick are they? It's Congress that screwed up healthcare and the tax code, and the onus is on them to fix it, not the President.

The problem is that when you are against the guy you have to blame everything on him. Some think his every word is policy when he actually doesn't have the support to get the important things that they want done and do not think that their lack of support hurts their chances of getting those things done.

He has a magic wand and mind control and when he speaks the FCC revokes licensing immediately, but it doesn't work on congress because they all have Jedi powers.

The question was asked "If he had the power", well, if the power had been granted to him by the Constitution you would be in favor of his Constitutional power, RIGHT? Just like you were for the travel ban, whis one of his enumerated powers. Your question is framed in fantasy, "he does not have that power" and just saying that they should have their broadcast licenses revoked is rhetoric and should be taken as the barb it was meant to be.

Bhart89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    McCordsville

If you call lying to the American public 'actively involved' than yes, Obama was more actively involved than Trump is on healthcare.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you call lying to the American public 'actively involved' than yes, Obama was more actively involved than Trump is on healthcare.

Obama worked with his party to get everyone to play along, and he got enough republican votes to help see it through. Trump has shown nothing approaching that level of coordination and influence in getting the ACA repealed. And he enjoys a bigger house majority than Obama ever did.

It seems the sycophants believe Trump is playing this masterful game of bait and switch. Let's take a step back, though. What has he accomplished with his political wizardry? Remember, he has both houses of Congress and a friendly SCOTUS. I would think such a mastermind would have something to show for all his cunning.

Or could it be he's just not doing a very good job living up to his promises? Maybe he never meant them. It's easy just to lash out and blame someone else for your failures. Much easier than honoring a promise, in fact.

Maybe if Trump is incapable of getting anything done, we should repeal the first amendment to help him out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Rush Limbaugh described this years ago on his television show.
    "Demonstrate absurdity by being absurd."

Take a stupid position to it's logical conclusion.
    Trump seems to be a master at pulling other peoples chains.
    I think he even gets a kick out of it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Rush Limbaugh described this years ago on his television show.
    "Demonstrate absurdity by being absurd."

Take a stupid position to it's logical conclusion.
    Trump seems to be a master at pulling other peoples chains.
    I think he even gets a kick out of it.

Which is great, for a radio host.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Obama worked with his party to get everyone to play along, and he got enough republican votes to help see it through. Trump has shown nothing approaching that level of coordination and influence in getting the ACA repealed. And he enjoys a bigger house majority than Obama ever did.

It seems the sycophants believe Trump is playing this masterful game of bait and switch. Let's take a step back, though. What has he accomplished with his political wizardry? Remember, he has both houses of Congress and a friendly SCOTUS. I would think such a mastermind would have something to show for all his cunning.

Or could it be he's just not doing a very good job living up to his promises? Maybe he never meant them. It's easy just to lash out and blame someone else for your failures. Much easier than honoring a promise, in fact.

Maybe if Trump is incapable of getting anything done, we should repeal the first amendment to help him out.

Woobie, I'm not sure you should blame Trump, or that Trump should not blame congress, when the reason for the failure to repeal the ACA is 'republicans' in congress. Those people campaigned relentlessly on the need to repeal the ACA, always "give us just a little more power (the house, the senate, the presidency etc) and we'll get it done." Well, we gave them that power and they couldn't get it done. I fail to see how Trump could have compromised with any in his own party without moving to something short of full repeal and keeping the abomination alive. Repeal is pretty dichotomous. Trump was ready to sign most any bill that would repeal it, Pence was ready to break any tie. I just don't see how they could have been involved in any of the traditional lobbying/deal sweetening that you seem to be thinking of without backing away from full repeal. And make no mistake, these people weren't thinking about what was best for the country or their constituents - they were thinking what would be best to preserve their cushy jobs. If that's not true then they were lying the whole time they joined the hue and cry to repeal the ACA

It is true that Trump is responsible for his frosty relations with some in congress from his own party, but I hold up the Gorsuch appointment as example of what can be accomplished when they all pull together. In that case all parties wanted another conservative on the court and Trump delivered an appropriate nominee. Had either part of the process failed to deliver what was needed it would not have worked

So which part of the process can write an ACA repeal but failed to deliver. The president can't sign what never makes it to his desk. The lion's share of the blame lies with congress/weak republicans

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My point was more in line with this thread. He shares in the blame for the failures. So he blames the media (and they certainly have been tireless in giving him bad press), and used that as an excuse to take action against them. Not only is that an overreach, it is Obama-level petty.

Your description of a lack of opportunity for compromise lacks nuance. You don't have to compromise on the repeal, compromise on something else. Promise to back off on the wall, for example. Come on, where is the Art of the Deal? Johnson would have figured it out. Obama figured out how to enact it, a much more daunting undertaking. Congressional Republicans bear more blame than Trump, but Trump could help himself. What doesn't bear any blame is freedom of the press. And he deserves every word of scorn he gets on this.

Oh, and good for Trump. He got a highly qualified SCOTUS nominee through a friendly Senate. A truly earth shattering accomplishment for a President. The fact that this is the example of Trump's greatest co-operative achievement with the Legislative branch speaks volumes.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Woobie, I'm not sure you should blame Trump, or that Trump should not blame congress, when the reason for the failure to repeal the ACA is 'republicans' in congress. Those people campaigned relentlessly on the need to repeal the ACA, always "give us just a little more power (the house, the senate, the presidency etc) and we'll get it done." Well, we gave them that power and they couldn't get it done. I fail to see how Trump could have compromised with any in his own party without moving to something short of full repeal and keeping the abomination alive. Repeal is pretty dichotomous. Trump was ready to sign most any bill that would repeal it, Pence was ready to break any tie. I just don't see how they could have been involved in any of the traditional lobbying/deal sweetening that you seem to be thinking of without backing away from full repeal. And make no mistake, these people weren't thinking about what was best for the country or their constituents - they were thinking what would be best to preserve their cushy jobs. If that's not true then they were lying the whole time they joined the hue and cry to repeal the ACA

It is true that Trump is responsible for his frosty relations with some in congress from his own party, but I hold up the Gorsuch appointment as example of what can be accomplished when they all pull together. In that case all parties wanted another conservative on the court and Trump delivered an appropriate nominee. Had either part of the process failed to deliver what was needed it would not have worked

So which part of the process can write an ACA repeal but failed to deliver. The president can't sign what never makes it to his desk. The lion's share of the blame lies with congress/weak republicans

Ronald Reagan got tax reform even though he didn’t have both houses. He led. It was obvious to everyone it was his deal. I haven’t seen Trump leading on any major legislation, i suspect so that he doesn’t put himself out there on the line in case it fails. He needs to be able to hide behind Republican incompetence.

But, I do agree that Republicans, specifically Paul Ryan, share in most of the blame. I wouldn’t call it the lion’s share though. Republicans are not a monolith, at least not anywhere near the extent to which Democrats are. There are vulnerable Republicans in swing states where Obamacare is very popular. The “Republicans is evil” meme plays strong in this as well. Which is an area the President is not helping.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My point was more in line with this thread. He shares in the blame for the failures. So he blames the media (and they certainly have been tireless in giving him bad press), and used that as an excuse to take action against them. Not only is that an overreach, it is Obama-level petty.

Your description of a lack of opportunity for compromise lacks nuance. You don't have to compromise on the repeal, compromise on something else. Promise to back off on the wall, for example. Come on, where is the Art of the Deal? Johnson would have figured it out. Obama figured out how to enact it, a much more daunting undertaking. Congressional Republicans bear more blame than Trump, but Trump could help himself. What doesn't bear any blame is freedom of the press. And he deserves every word of scorn he gets on this.

Oh, and good for Trump. He got a highly qualified SCOTUS nominee through a friendly Senate. A truly earth shattering accomplishment for a President. The fact that this is the example of Trump's greatest co-operative achievement with the Legislative branch speaks volumes.

That is exactly the sort of thing that most disgusts the people that sent him to the white house. An issue should live and die on its merits, not on some sleazy backscratching deal involving other issues that should stand or fall on their merits

If the weak republicans cannot make the case that the issue should fail because it will be bad for (all) their constituents or for the country, then they should be seen as what they are - self-serving. Once their true colors are on display (IMO what they fear the most) hopefully retribution will be exacted at the polls

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What if Trump made that sleazy compromise on the suppressor bill, you know "back off" on that? I assume you would be all over his ass.

What I see time and again is people (not necessarily you, Woobie) failing to give credence to the idea that there will be some folks, republican and conservative both, for whom the wall and border control or tax reform will be more important than restoring your right to put cans on your firearms. These people would feel just as betrayed by your posited little dirty deal as you would feel with the one I used as an example

I for one don't approve of government via betrayal

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What if Trump made that sleazy compromise on the suppressor bill, you know "back off" on that? I assume you would be all over his ass.

What I see time and again is people (not necessarily you, Woobie) failing to give credence to the idea that there will be some folks, republican and conservative both, for whom the wall and border control or tax reform will be more important than restoring your right to put cans on your firearms. These people would feel just as betrayed by your posited little dirty deal as you would feel with the one I used as an example

I for one don't approve of government via betrayal

There are good compromises and bad compromises. In a nation of diverse opinions and ideologies, not everyone can have everything they want. In most negotiations people have some reasonable things they're willing to give on and they have some things they will absolutely not give on. If no one will give on anything, then the thing that will happen, is that the side which has enough votes to get EVERYTHING they want, will get EVERYTHING they want. That's just the reality of diversity. If you want homogeneity, you'll need either to kick out, or kill off, everyone who isn't exactly like you. Everyone else is a "me" too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My point was more in line with this thread. He shares in the blame for the failures. So he blames the media (and they certainly have been tireless in giving him bad press), and used that as an excuse to take action (Exactally what ACTION?) against them. Not only is that an overreach, it is Obama-level petty.

Your description of a lack of opportunity for compromise lacks nuance. You don't have to compromise on the repeal, compromise on something else. Promise to back off on the wall, (So you do not want him to keep that promise?) for example. Come on, where is the Art of the Deal? Johnson would have figured it out. (only he couldn't figure out how to get enough votes to get elected, let alone what alepo was) Obama figured out how to enact it,(Hillary's comission wrote it years ago. All they had to do was dust it off.) a much more daunting undertaking. (BS, progressives always band together because they have no concience, just a desire for more power.) Congressional Republicans bear more blame than Trump, (All they had to do was dust off the repeal bill that had passed both houses while Obama was in office.) but Trump could help himself. What doesn't bear any blame is freedom of the press. And he deserves every word of scorn he gets on this.

It seems he should be able to get his agenda through that same friendly Senate.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There are good compromises and bad compromises. In a nation of diverse opinions and ideologies, not everyone can have everything they want. In most negotiations people have some reasonable things they're willing to give on and they have some things they will absolutely not give on. If no one will give on anything, then the thing that will happen, is that the side which has enough votes to get EVERYTHING they want, will get EVERYTHING they want. That's just the reality of diversity. If you want homogeneity, you'll need either to kick out, or kill off, everyone who isn't exactly like you. Everyone else is a "me" too.

The point you may be missing is rooted in that diversity of opinion you mention. What to you are reasonable things you are willing to compromise on (and by extension that you think I should be, too) might just be my "Not one inch" issue. I gather you use the left's definition of compromise?

It is Unfettered 2nd Amendment and Border Control and Tax Reform and Drain the Swamp. Not a single conditional conjunction in the bunch

40% of the electorate is only enough to guarantee negative outcomes. But if we can hold together we can make a convincing case that any republican who isn't with us will have to find a real job in 2018 and again in 2020

If the only thing that gets through to them is concerns about being pushed away from the trough, we can arrange that

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One of us is overestimating the power those we support have to affect the outcome of events. Quite possibly it's me, but I and the folks of like mind will certainly attempt to use the power that we have as we see it as perhaps the only chance to right the ship of state (no matter how disorganized the process appears)

Maybe it will be a squib, maybe November 2018 will be a bloodbath. You might want to prepare for the worst

ETA: You might notice Kasich's internal polling has caused him to give up on a senate run already, that he is joining Joe Scarborough in burning his 'Taft card'. His only political mention is for the ridiculous Kasich/Hickenlooper ticket (from what party is not clear, Dems would be the best fit)

He is circling the drain, due in part to the efforts of like minded individuals such as myself. Good riddance

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom