• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkress77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hi, all. I'm planning on deer hunting this season for the first time in 10-15 years. Has anyone hunted in Lieber or Morgan Monroe? It would be the first time hunting on public land. I'm wondering if these parks are heavily hunted. Am I going to run into more people than deer? If anyone could share experiences at these parks it would be great.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Since it's your first public land hunt, I will state some facts. Firearms season you will see more people than deer no matter where you hunt. Dress like a pumpkin....lots of orange on is a must! Most hunters out there will empty the gun on anything brown. Typically shots happen in strings of 5. So don't assume that yayhoo next to you is done shooting until he blasts at least 5 rounds.
    If you shoot a nice one, don't leave it in the woods to go get help...it will dissappear quickly.

Lieber is very crowded during firearms season. Archery is so so until November...then the rut only hunters finally crawl out into the woods.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Since it's your first public land hunt, I will state some facts. Firearms season you will see more people than deer no matter where you hunt. Dress like a pumpkin....lots of orange on is a must! Most hunters out there will empty the gun on anything brown. Typically shots happen in strings of 5. So don't assume that yayhoo next to you is done shooting until he blasts at least 5 rounds.

Ain't that some truth. I was in MM ( low country area) last season on a Sat because it was the only day I could get out that week. I thought I trekked in pretty far and settled in to sit and wait a while. Mid morning, I heard a long string of shotgun blasts that lasted a good 20 seconds. Yes, after the first few shot I started counting....and hte shot were close enough to be quite loud so not far away. After that, I decided that the area wasn't safe and that any potential deer had gone running so I walked back out to the truck. While I was loading up, a group of 6-8 hunters came out together talking about how they got bored and started shooting for fun....

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I haven't hunted MMSF in five years, but back than, yes you see more people than deer and not just other hunters. I'd scout several spots because on opening day several of those spots will be over flowing with hunters. Weekdays are better, opening weekend is a joke.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Geeze... Are there any decent spots near central IN? I wish I had some private land.
    Honestly, all state land is packed with people, even 3 hours from central indy.
    All you can do is try to hunt mid week and avoid lots of the weekend warriors. Obviously, that doesn't help on opening day.
    The last 3 deer I have killed, we're all evading another hunter so sometimes the orange army can help your hunting as long as you are set up near a thicket the deer want to hide in.

Top Bottom