• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'm turning 30 this year and have decided to start some proactive stuff to help my health. I've started working out regularly, cut all soda, cut my sodium, and am drinking my recommended amount of water daily. Which takes a lot and makes me pee a lot but that's beside the point. My next step is to add fruits and veggies, which I despise I'm a meat and potatoes guy. What are the few main "super" fruits and veggies you recommend to get the most bang for the buck as it was? I already feel 100 percent better than I did the last few years. I'm not near as tired and wife doesn't mind the physical results of working out. My next step besides just changing physical stuff is I want to improve my self mentally. Any suggestions? I guess I hear a lot of successful people brag about their library's not their stuff so I guess I need to start reading books instead of watching tv so much?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Congrats on making an effort and getting results!

non-fiction books on the industry you're in or leadership is a good start

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm in a pretty similar situation. Couple years ago I started eating better, mostly low/no carb. Wasn't a huge deal to me... I wasn't all that interested in sodas and sugar anyway. Lost 65 pounds.

Still eating low-ish carb for the most part. I'll usually snack with stuff like tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers... Definitely nothing wrong with meat, though. Spinach is supposed to be one of those "super" vegetables... so I typically get the 50/50 mix bag at the grocery store to make a salad on occasion. Shredded chicken, hard-boiled eggs, bacon... good stuff.

Worst part is the sodium for me... might not be so much for you. Low-carb and low sodium are really difficult to stay within. I'll be 30 this year as well, and I'm starting on the fitness portion of it all.... and drinking less... best of luck! Getting enough sleep is a huge part of the mental improvement

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Congrats on your new approach to life.

What are the few main "super" fruits and veggies you recommend to get the most bang for the buck as it was?

Try to find some stuff you enjoy. Also easy to fix is good too, get a steamer for veggies, quickest way to fix them plus maintains taste and nutrients. Also find a good grocery store (or two) that maintains a seasonal selection and keeps their stuff fresh.

Just thinking about what is in my kitchen at the moment that I enjoy that might also qualify as "super":
    • Avocado (make fresh salsa/guac. by adding some peppers, onions, tomatoes...)
    • Walnuts and Almonds
    • Dried Figs and Dates
    • Oranges
    • Apples
    • Spinich
    • Sweet Potatoes are better than white potatoes
    Remember that variety is also important.

My next step besides just changing physical stuff is I want to improve my self mentally. Any suggestions?

Learn a second language which is good for your mind. I would recommend Spanish. People who are successful (measured by money or title) typically are supervising other workers. At 30 if you can learn Spanish you will be able to supervise (or at least work with) a rapidly growing part of our work force. Think about the leg up this would give you over the current crop of senior managers who are old, grumpy and refuse to learn Spanish and think a wall is the magic solution.

Also experience life in a variety of ways. Travel, make new friends outside your inner circle, experience other cultures and places. Think of living your life to experience PBS instead of watching it on TV. You don't have to agree with everything you experience but you should at least be tolerant enough to learn about it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Lo (ish) carb is something I got back into a few months ago. Weight started falling off. Now, of course, I regret damaging myself by carrying it around all that time. Don't get fat and complacent in the first place, I guess.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    non-function books on the industry you're in or leadership is a good start

I like to mix in a little function for variety. :):

A couple of years ago, I started cutting all the sugar that I could out of my diet and just that one change made a big difference. In the past year, I've slipped back a bit, so I'm gonna follow your lead OP and get back into it.

As far as mental "exercise", I've always used hobbies for that. I prefer hobbies where I can learn how to do things, and that gets you reading books and internet articles about it also.

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    avoid highly processed food

add a slice of fresh or frozen lemon to your water
    lots of different greens
    grow your own food without chemicals if possible
    avocadoes, nuts, seeds, berries
    wild caught salmon
    grass fed beef
    pastured pork
    dairy products from grass fed beef
    sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
    Mediterranean Diet or Clean Eating
    if you have the Kindle App on your smartphone, you can get lots of free books from Book Bub, and have them to read whenever you are stuck waiting somewhere, etc.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Reading is good. Over Christmas break, I basically cut all TV and just read at night. I forgot how enjoyable it was. Even if you read "popcorn" books, it will make your mind feel better. Now that school is back in session, I need some mind rot to calm my head down.

Without knowing your current reading habits, or what you enjoy, I can't speak to what books to recommend, but we live in a great time of really cheap books. If you are looking for best bang for your buck books, in History, I recommend the Oxford History of the United States Series. I fully enjoy them (and I don't really like American History) and you get about 700-900 pages of good book for less than $20.

Top Bottom