Life Takes A Look At The Battle Of The Bulge (Rare Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Outstanding, powerful images. I did enjoy the following from the slideshow:

Perhaps the defining moment for all Allied forces fighting in the Battle of the Bulge came when the Germans demanded the surrender of American troops surrounded in the town of Bastogne. United States General Anthony McAuliffe (above) replied to the ultimatum with a now-legendary one-word response: "Nuts!" -- which is a rather milder way of saying, "Screw you." His men withstood German attacks until they could be relieved by the 4th Armored Division.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I still carry around something that came back from that battle with me everyday and thats my middle name (Meredith) and its also my dads name.

My grandfather fought in that battle and became a POW. While he was in a prison camp he met a man named Meredith. The two of them put a plan together to try and excape. When they did, Meredith was shot and killed and thats how my father got his name and I also got my middle name.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My maternal grandfather was a forward observer in, and took some shrapnel during the Battle of the Bulge. He ended up a "mustang" 2 Lt before he separated service.

-J-

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The greatest generation, indeed

Never pass up a chance to thank him if you should meet one of these men. I had the great pleasure of meeting a P47 pilot who flew during the Battle of The Bulge. I speak with him and his wife at our favorite breakfast place several days a week and buy their breakfast now and then. He's 88 and doing fairly well but they are going fast.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    America's greatest generation.

I'm always wondered about why this is said. I think it's the 3rd Greatest... following being the "originals," who fought the most power army in the world with hunting rifles and rag tag uniforms, and behind the the generation, where "brother" fought "brother," over the path the country would follow.

But nevertheless, they all showed their mettle, and today's generations pale in comparison.

Thanks to OP for sharing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom