• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Other than cost, is there a reason that anybody wouldn't get a lifetime LTCH? The one thing that springs immediately to mind is that the lifetime license wouldn't be able to be used to in lieu of the NICS check when purchasing a firearm (as the licensee is not re-credentialed every few years). Is that the case? Would there be other reasons?

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    You can look at this way...the cost of a lifetime is what...about 3 4yr ones.

So if you get a life time your looking at the same payment they would get for 12 years worth of 4 year LTCH's.

I dont think they are losing much money, so why not?

Get it and love it :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you intend to live in Indiana indefinitly, I can't come up with a good reason. The guns I've bought in recent years, even before I got a lifetime, it made no difference to whether I had to go through the NICS check...not sure when that changed. I know one guy that got a 4-year LTCH. I asked him why he didnt go ahead and get a lifetime, he said he didn't plan on living in Indiana much longer (he had recently retired). So there's one reason, I guess.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Other than cost, is there a reason that anybody wouldn't get a lifetime LTCH? The one thing that springs immediately to mind is that the lifetime license wouldn't be able to be used to in lieu of the NICS check when purchasing a firearm (as the licensee is not re-credentialed every few years). Is that the case? Would there be other reasons?

You lost me on that part. LTCH doesn't matter, you still have to do the NICS check. Or am I getting hosed everytime I buy a gun?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    011101110111 said:
    You lost me on that part. LTCH doesn't matter, you still have to do the NICS check. Or am I getting hosed everytime I buy a gun?
    In our state, if you have a license, you can bypass the NICS check and save yourself the $5.00 or so it costs to run the check. We did propose a lifetime license, but the stipulation would have been that a NICS check would have to be ran each time. The reason being, that a person might have committed a disqualifying crime after having gotten the license and since there's no renewal, no additional background checks would ever be performed. That was the thinking anyway. It stalled and never made it anywhere.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh

At one time the Indiana LTCH allowed one to avoid the hassle. Very early on. Someone got a stick up their butt about it I imagine. It was a nice perk for awhile.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    At one time the Indiana LTCH allowed one to avoid the hassle. Very early on. Someone got a stick up their butt about it I imagine. It was a nice perk for awhile.

Early 90's it was this way for sure. I didn't buy a gun from about '95-2003, '95 no nics check- 2003 nics check.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lots of misinformation here. I'll see if I can clear some of it up:

IN LTCH has not qualified per ATF in lieu of NICS in, if I recall, about 7 or 8 years. The ISP checks IN records but stopped doing federal checks when issuing it, so ATF stopped recognizing it for that purpose.

Will it still continue to be good if the holder moves out of state?

Yes...just as you would acquire an LTCH from another state...it is still good.

I vaguely remember someone posting that you would contact ISP to "deactivate" it? If you move back you "reactivate"it? YMMV not positive on this.

Why would you deactivate?

You can carry LTCH's from all states that offer...if you can get them all.

Because the IN Larry is only for IN residents. You have to deactivate it when you're no longer a resident. IN doesn't offer non-resident Larrys.

IN LTCH is issued primarily to IN residents, however if you live elsewhere and have a permanent workplace here, you can qualify for the non-resident LTCH. You may only be issued the four-year LTCH as a non-resident, and if you are issued the Lifetime as a resident and then move, your license will be "deactivated" when you advise them (as you must, by law) of your change of address. If at a later time you return to IN as a resident, you merely notify ISP of your change of address back within the state, and they reactivate your LTCH.
    Yes, you can get a permit/license/whatever from any state that issues them. To carry in 46 states (excluding only CA, HI, IL, and NY,) you would need about 11 of them, as several states recognize only their own and will issue non-resident, though some are very restrictive as to whom they issue it. OR and SC require property to be owned in their states. ME, MD, MA, NJ, CT, and RI all issue non-res permits that are good in their state, but your IN LTCH and/or UT or AZ will cover every other state that recognizes them.

(IN is good in 28 states including ours, AZ and UT add 10 more.)

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Thanks Bill, i misunderstood the site i was reading on the lifetime one...shoulda looked a bit further before posting.

U DA MAN!!

I give to you +1 REP :rockwoot:

And sorry for the mis info :dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks Bill, i misunderstood the site i was reading on the lifetime one...shoulda looked a bit further before posting.

U DA MAN!!

I give to you +1 REP :rockwoot:

And sorry for the mis info :dunno:

Thanks for the rep and your completely unnecessary apology; One of the great things about INGO is that when you make a mistake of fact, you can learn the correct info pretty quickly... I can't count the number of times I've learned new stuff on here (and no, it's not because I get busted for indecent exposure when I try to count past 20. :):)

I love this board.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom