• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hamper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    I recently purchased the TLR-1S light for my XDM. I am happy with the purchase and impressed by the light output but the light has sparked an interesting discussion. This light will primarily be used so that when something goes bump in the night I can investigate.

My stance is that if it is a person that caused the bump my light will give me two advantages.
    1. Target acquisition- I will not accidently shoot the wrong person or my dog.
    2. The light output on this thing is blinding if your eyes are adjusted to low light. This could give me an important extra second or two in a worst case scenario.

The argument against it that I have heard is that it gives the bad guy a target to shoot at.

Do you have a light on your home defense gun? Any new factors that led you to that decision?

Last edited:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I recently purchased the TLR-1S light for my XDM. I am happy with the purchase and impressed by the light output but the light has sparked an interesting discussion. This light will primarily be used so that when something goes bump in the night I can investigate.

My stance is that if it is a person that caused the bump my light will give me two advantages.
    1. Target acquisition- I will not accidently shoot the wrong person or my dog.
    2. The light output on this thing is blinding if your eyes are adjusted to low light. This could give me an important extra second or two in a worst case scenario.

The argument against it that I have heard is that it gives the bad guy a target to shoot at.

Do you have a light on your home defense gun? Any new factors that led you to that decision?

I have practiced navigation and recognition with my weapons light mounted. I only use it sparingly to strobe and moving all the while.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    My only thing about weapon mounted lights is i have to point the gun at something to see it. If this is one of the kids or the dog ive just pointed a loaded weapon at them. I think having a secondary seperate light makes more sense and can also be used as a weapon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Sure it does, but that assumes you are standing there with the light on. :n00b: Flash and move, baby! That way, the BG will be shooting where the light was, not where you are...

Do you have a light on your home defense gun?

Yes, both long gun and handgun.

My only thing about weapon mounted lights is i have to point the gun at something to see it.

:orly:

With most modern weaponlights (esp. the LEDs) of decent size/quality, you can point the gun at the floor and pretty much light up an average-sized room enough to ID a potential target. Which make/model of light are you currently using?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    My only thing about weapon mounted lights is i have to point the gun at something to see it. If this is one of the kids or the dog ive just pointed a loaded weapon at them. I think having a secondary seperate light makes more sense and can also be used as a weapon.

Not exactly true...
    Yes I have a weapon mounted light for HD. I consider it critical for target identification. With the weapon at low port (pointed at floor), the light can be blipped on with trigger finger and the room is illuminated enough to see what is going on. Pointed the light at the face of a selected target is blinding.

I am not concerned with the light revealing my location, if I illuminate the target, and have a need to shoot, it will all be over quickly.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Life is not a video game, you need a light to see.

If you end up in a running gunfight, overtop, behind, and kicking over items in complete darkness, worried about wether or not the bad guy can fire at your white light, as you two exchange fire....

Let me know, and we will make a movie about it.

Personally, I wouldnt use a pistol for HD unless it had a white light.

Top Bottom