• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    I am a bit old fashioned and prefer actual books to computer screen reading. So...can anyone recommend any general "gun" books, for education and/or enjoyment. Something that will help me expand my (very limited) knowledge, that will also be enjoyable to read?

Thanks!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    All of Elmer Keith's books and all of Jeff Cooper's writings. Mas Ayoob's books. Ed McGivern's book will blow your mind. And books ARE better.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    All of Elmer Keith's books and all of Jeff Cooper's writings. Mas Ayoob's books. Ed McGivern's book will blow your mind. And books ARE better.

Can you narrow down to 1 or 2 or 3 that you think are the best? I know I can look them up but between all your suggestions, there are probably a dozen or so. What would be a good start with?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Cooper - To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth. Keith - Sixguns. Warning - these are all older books, in other words B.G (before Glocks) I wasn't sure if you are looking for books on shooting or technical stuff on handguns. The books I listed deal mostly with shooting handguns. Cooper's book also talks about different types of handguns and rifles and shotguns. I would start with it. Sorry if that is not what you are looking for. Ed McGivern's book (Fast and fancy revolver shooting) is about shooting DA revolvers and was printed back in the 1930s. McGivern was the fastest DA revolver shooter who ever lived. Even faster than Jerry Miculek.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You really need to narrow down what you are looking for. There are good books covering many areas relating to guns. Without a narrower focus, it is hard to make specific recommendations.

Do you want books on:
    • hunting
    • military firearms (including period)
    • other historical (old west, early guns, developers/companies like Browning & Glock, etc)
    • war/adventure/disaster/fiction stories involving firearms
    • pricing/collecting
    • tactics and training
    • legal issues
    • gun sports
    • gunsmithing
    • etc.

Last edited:

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    If you want some really good fiction, written by a "gun" guy anything by Stephen Hunter. I would try finding old Gun Digest books they have great articles about guns and are great reference books to have around.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    100 deadly skills may be a cool read for you, I'm wanting to check it out myself!

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    You really need to narrow down what you are looking for. There are good books covering many areas relating to guns. Without a narrower focus, it is hard to make specific recommendations.

Do you want books on:
    • hunting
    • military firearms (including period)
    • other historical (old west, early guns, developers/companies like Browning & Glock, etc)
    • war/adventure/disaster/fiction stories involving firearms
    • pricing/collecting
    • tactics and training
    • legal issues
    • gun sports
    • gunsmithing
    • etc.

Right now I am looking for general knowledge and concepts, including terminology. Not currently interested in hunting, military, gunsmithing, or fiction.

Thank you to everyone for responses.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Two essential books by Masaad Ayoob are "Greatest Handguns of the World" and "Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right To Self Defense".

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A nice introduction for a newbie. With any book you read keep in mind that just like the internet (and INGO) just because it is written does not mean it is accurate. There are lots of different opinions and approaches so read lots, get some training, and figure out what fits your situation best and works for you.

Gander Mountain Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals Book

Part of the Gander Mtn. Academy Series, this full-color book is a comprehensive guide for owning and carrying a firearm for self-defense. Whether you are curious about Concealed Carry or want to brush up on fundamental Defensive Handgun principles, this is the book for you.

Gander Mountain Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals Book-727203 - Gander Mountain

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I also highly recommend Cooper's "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Tell the Truth". Anything by Ayoob is great, but "The Ayoob Files" is my favorite, and to round things out - pick up "Boston's Gun Bible".

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    I found P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders - Volumes I and II very educational. Timeless info.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    African Guns and Cartridges by John 'Pondero' Taylor.

Everything in big and small game and the stories to go along with it.

A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride.

WWI, sniping, and machine gun stories

So many books, so little time.

Top Bottom