• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    So at the range the other day I had a few fail to fire with my new SR45, new as in less than a month old with 100 flawless federal american eagle rounds through it. This outing I was firing PMC fmj 230gr , pull the trigger and just a click, count to 10 eject it manaully , fire the rest of the mag and so on 3 maybe 4 times..…... each had good dent in the primer similar the fired rounds,
    loaded the dud rounds into the 1911 and they fired. Is PMC known for so so primers? I certainly find it tough to believe the gun has a weak striker spring . Thoughts?

Dan T

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Were they old rounds?
    I'd try another couple brands of ammo before blaming the gun - but as per you OP I think it's more likely a hard primer (or just degraded ammo in general) rather than light strike. BUT... since they fired in the 1911, it could certainly be a light strike. IF it is, Ruger will certainly take care of the issue.
    Have you over-oiled your SR45 (specifically oil in the firing pin channel)? That can gunk up and slow the pin speed. Or have you done any detailed stripping and something may not be fitting right? (I'm a tinkerer at heart, and have done this more than I care to admit)

I don't know if PMC has notoriously hard primers or not, I always thought they were "middle-of-the-road" kind of primers.

Keep us posted.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    we'll try a variety of ammo next outing - not something I normally do - just a bring a box or 2 and fire away - yes to the cleaning and possible over oiling
    I cleaned it when I got it and have fired 100 rounds through it - all Fed Am Eagle only issue then was sometimes mag #1 would not lock back after last round mag #2 - no issue
    cleaned it after use and probably shot a drop or 2 of CLP on the striker - which I did again after the last outing - I just shot it with some compressed air and wiped it clean
    now she's ready to go when I can break free try it out again - this is a first for me with center fire rounds, 50 more rounds and she was slated for bedroom duty - I guess I'll just postpone that and extend the term for Ms FNX -

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    after last outing I cleaned, lubed and blew out striker area with compressed air so she's ready to go, finally got a chance to take her out with 20 rounds from 4 brands of ammo(all new) a pen and paper, well it's not just pmc ammo - Herters and Remington as well, dent in the primer - no fire, 10% of 80 rounds, federal am eagle no fail to fire, however this time I distinctly had 3 double shots (fired 2 rounds per 1 trigger pull) I took my new found data and called ruger who very politely took my information, documented my concerns and had a fed ex label in my in box b4 we hung up. So now my full figured black beauty is having a spa day in sunny AZ getting a little touch up to her innards. This is the first of any of my guns to go back to momma including the 1st of a half dozen rugers...... I'm hopeful she'll come back ready for action - as she's one of the easiest 45s to shoot, great grip, great crisp trigger, nice enough site pic.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just found out not to lube in the striker channel, it fills with lube and will not let the firing pin go far enough forward ,sometimes to fire the round.

+1 Keeping the firing pin/striker from accumulating dirt keeps the firearm reliable. Mine get cleaned and I use Hornady or Remington guncleaner/dry lube. No problems for decades.

Any production handgun should be able to light off any production ammo without problems. I am sure the service center will get it going properly for you.

Good Luck

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    well she's back already - 7 days round trip - Ruger must be staffed 24 / 7, replaced 3 assemblies and test fired 30 rounds :) I'll get back to the range sooner or later then she gets nightstand duty

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    After another trip to AZ and finally a chance to take her to the range, Flawless. Fed am eagle, rem, win, PMC, and even herters it hit them all , just like it should. What was replaced? The list of what is original is shorter, slide, frame, backstrap. Every other part was replaced. Plus I got another yellow cloth to wipe it off.....

Top Bottom