• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoGoJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2021
    Zionsville
    If the light is bright enough and the bad guy is close he gets blinded by it. Try it on yourself. Let the house get totally dark get a light with at least 600 lumens have someone shine it at you. Tell us if you can see anything and how long it took you to recover.
    True statement, but I'm not sure I'd rely on a flashlight to subdue a bad guy if they're that close.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think a lot of the use of the light is related to your situation. At night here we never answer the door, the perimeter alarm alerts us to intrusion. People in other situations may need different solutions where lights would help.
    Agreed. I'm not opening the door for anyone at night. Our hallway is lit enough to identify someone. Of course, if they don't disarm the alarm after kicking the door down, it's a pretty safe bet that they aren't family.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Other than a carry gun with a holster that won’t allow it, I see zero valid reasons to not have a weapon light on every defensive rifle, shotgun, and handgun. It adds extremely minimal bulk compared to the ability to identify threats. I also recommend a separate flashlight that can identify things besides a target without pointing a firearm around everywhere. I know of no serious professionals who advocate against the use of weapon lights.

Addition: Even in situations where you don’t plan to use a light, situations can and will change dramatically, fast. Kid gets scared and against the family plan runs into the woods next door, you chase him down and drop your pocket light, threat presents itself in the dark. Etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed. I'm not opening the door for anyone at night. Our hallway is lit enough to identify someone. Of course, if they don't disarm the alarm after kicking the door down, it's a pretty safe bet that they aren't family.
    Yes situations will vary. We have the entire compound covered with cameras. There is enough low light to navigate the entire house outside the bedrooms. But I still have lights on any Home Defense piece. Use it or not it is there.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My main carry gun has a light. So does my rifle.

IMHO a weapon light is much more practical and useful than night sights, but I'd guess a majority of us have those on defensive guns.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So my challenge to anyone is to attend the low light class that ACT holds once a year. Then without a light prove that you can hit anything?

If you can hit consistently I will pay for your dinner!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So my challenge to anyone is to attend the low light class that ACT holds once a year. Then without a light prove that you can hit anything?

If you can hit consistently I will pay for your dinner!

10 gauge 00 or MAC-10? ;)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't have any lights on my guns, something maybe I've overlooked, but I don't like the idea of giving my position away.
    You don't simply turn the light on and walk around yelling "Marco!" Keep yourself in the shadows as much as possible, and only use the light in short bursts to identify a moving threat, then change your position immediately if necessary. Most threats that you will likely encounter in a home burglary are not professional hitmen looking to immediately engage a point of light. They are drunk, high, mental, etc. A good WML of 800+ lumens is very disorienting, and is a valuable tool for defensive purposes.

As far as using a handheld light, well...depends on the threat level and the situation. If I am taking my firearm, I likely believe that a potential deadly force situation lies ahead. Hard to engage a threat with a handheld light in one hand and a gun in the other hand pointing at the ground. Or worse, in a holster. You gonna see what you can't shoot, or shoot what you can't see? Apologies can be passed around later if someone that doesn't deserve it gets a gun with a WML pointed at them.

Of course, I don't go strapping up any time I hear a rustle in the kitchen. Pretty sure there will be glass breaking and alarms going off if I feel the need for M&P, and at that point, 1000 lumens of blinding light is coming with me.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I can walk thru my house with a WML without turning on room lights. And if investigating movement outside the house, I can identify the raccoon that is making the noise or causing my motion light to turn on. The light/laser I'm aiming around the pole barn will let someone know I'm hunting them, hopefully a deterrent to any misguided youth. If they don't come back, mission accomplished.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    "Winning"

In this many are so set in their ways you will not sway them regardless of facts. When something goes bump in the night and yes it has, I will have more than enough light so as not to cause more issues than needed.

I thought that I had it all figured out until I took some force on force classes. I was proven very wrong, very quickly. But at least I knew I was coming out of those encounters, and I could learn some valuable lessons.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I can walk thru my house with a WML without turning on room lights. And if investigating movement outside the house, I can identify the raccoon that is making the noise or causing my motion light to turn on. The light/laser I'm aiming around the pole barn will let someone know I'm hunting them, hopefully a deterrent to any misguided youth. If they don't come back, mission accomplished.
    Is pointing a gun at misguided youth ok where you live? :dunno:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    True statement, but I'm not sure I'd rely on a flashlight to subdue a bad guy if they're that close.
    Outside of an industrial light or laser, your light will not subdue the bad guy. What it does is reset their ODA loop, and shift the initiative to you. If an intruder is just there for property, finding a prepared occupant, and one who could identify them if they stay around, might give them a reason to consider their recent choices.

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    Lights, and knowing how to use them are paramount. Not 100% necessary, but can absolutely be a great idea if you know how to use them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is pointing a gun at misguided youth ok where you live? :dunno:
    Uh no but again, in these troubled times how does one know what the will encounter. Around here this has been a way to get the homeowner to either open up/become distracted or go outside to have a look. All 3 of which can and has ended badly.

So can I just say that all precautions should be observed. And if you are fearful do not go outside. In this we have the cameras.

If my trigger finger is on the light switch I am pretty confident I will not send an errant round towards anything I do not actually intend to. Nothing is foolproof. No defensive posture is with out flaws. Most of which revolve around the person.

Top Bottom