• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I really love the idea behind the SPR, a 18" barrel and a scope to have the ability to reach out a little further but still be able to shoot inside of a 100yrds if need be. Only problem I've personally had with the SPR that I've done in the past is the weight. The one I had was pretty hefty and for what it weighed I would have been better off to just tote around a LR308 and be done with it. So I thought about what it would take to get the performance of a "SPRish" rifle but not be as heavy or be about the weight of a normal carbine. Well I think I hit my goal, the overall weight including optic minus mag & ammo is under 7lbs. I though it would be light, but this was a super nice surprise. Using a light weight hand guard, 18" Faxon Gunner barrel, and Light weight NiB BCG from AIM helped in my quest. Took it out this evening to put some rounds through it and get it sighted in and literally took two shots to sight in at 110yrds. Just shooting some 55gr FMJ Perfecta to sight it in I had no trouble at all making very consistent hits out to 275yrds using the BDC reticle in the Nikon scope. Cant wait till tomorrow and see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it with some hand loads and factory match grade ammo.

SPR1_zpsssnqsqxb.jpg

I really didn't expect it to be this low, I was hoping for around the mid to low 7s. This was a very nice unexpected surprise!

SPR2_zpskyjgl5kd.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Looks good Steve. Can't wait to check it out in person tomorrow. I'll be bringing both my SPR's and 50 handloads of different varieties

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks! Good deal, I got a box of 69gr Noslers the other day, Im gonna load up a few of those to try out tomorrow as well. Should be a good time, Im sure.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Amazing what a light weight BCG and barrel can do for the weight, isn't it?

It really turns the AR15 into what it was meant to be, instead of the boat anchor that most of them seem to be these days. That phantom flash hider is also an exceptional choice for weight.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Holy cow, I think my SPR weighs around 11lbs haha.

I went budget with most parts though. The bipod and the MEGA SPR profile match barrel aren't the lightest either.

Nice build

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    nice setup.
    I've got a somewhat similar build but with a heavier barrel and reg BCG. Comes in at a hair over 7.5 lbs.

P.S. I love that AERO mount

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Amazing what a light weight BCG and barrel can do for the weight, isn't it?

It really turns the AR15 into what it was meant to be, instead of the boat anchor that most of them seem to be these days. That phantom flash hider is also an exceptional choice for weight.

Oh I know what you mean, I have to say I was a little surprised about how light it came in at. I agree the phantom is still probably one of my most favorite flash hiders.

Holy cow, I think my SPR weighs around 11lbs haha.

I went budget with most parts though. The bipod and the MEGA SPR profile match barrel aren't the lightest either.

Nice build

Ha ha I know were your coming from. The SPR that I had before was into that same sort of weight category. I tried toting it around during Run-N-Gun and other shooting matches, but it was just to much. This build hopefully will help and make it a bit more user friendly for its intended purpose.

nice setup.
    I've got a somewhat similar build but with a heavier barrel and reg BCG. Comes in at a hair over 7.5 lbs.

P.S. I love that AERO mount

Thanks! That's actually were I expected to be at with this rifle was in the mid 7s, which would have been right in line also with what I was trying to do. Yea I have to say this is probably the nicest mount I've ever used and I love it! Ill probably end up using another one on a future build.

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Impressive on the weight! I look forward to your next report. That LR308 is capable of great accuracy and reliability, I think you are going to be very happy about your choice for a long time. When you use Nikon's Spot On Program to dial in your ammo make sure you measure you scope height, mid bore to mid scope and enter that information. I'm guessing your's is going to be in the 2.25 inch range. Makes a difference when stretching out those shots.
    Drop me a note if you have any question's on using your BDC reticle scope.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Great looking rifle, especially with the 15" MI MLok handguard.

How much does the lightweight BCG shave from a normal BCG?

My FrankenSPR is 8lb 15.4oz with optic/mount and an empty 20rd PMAG which isn't unwieldy...but I've often thought about shedding the HBAR contour barrel for a lighter contour to make it less nose-heavy.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great looking rifle, especially with the 15" MI MLok handguard.

How much does the lightweight BCG shave from a normal BCG?

My FrankenSPR is 8lb 15.4oz with optic/mount and an empty 20rd PMAG which isn't unwieldy...but I've often thought about shedding the HBAR contour barrel for a lighter contour to make it less nose-heavy.

Thanks! Yea I know what you mean, I have been skeptical of the thinner profile barrels. Thus far I haven't seen any bad things about it, only the benefit of saving some weight. AIM has that BCG listed at 8.5oz and saying that its about a 28% difference in weight savings. I have not weighed them side by side so I may have to do that and see what the difference really is. I will say I worried about it cycling properly with all that weight taken off, but its cycled everything I've put through it flawlessly even a hand full of Wolf rounds. So Id say its good to go.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What makes these light weight? Are the recievers made if different materials?

You can buy lightweight receiver sets such as 2A or Balios lite, they're pricey. It'll save ya 3-4oz. Main components to save weight is barrel, bcg, rail, stock. There's other items being made of titanium now to help shave ounces. An ounce here and there add up

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Ounces are pounds, pounds are pain.

That said, there's "philosophy of use" and there's cost/benefit.

OP has a freaking beautiful rifle, but he isn't shooting benchrest matches with it (though it easily meets his accuracy needs) and he isn't going to the sandbox to fight with it in a neglected maintenance state (though he easily could use it to defend self/others).

Heavy, out of balance rifles suck if they are intended for field use, which is why I'm taking my bolt guns from 26" barrels down to 18-20" and thinking of a thinner contour on my SPR. Of course if I were shooting PRS comps and needed velocity as part of the "game" then I'd live with the weight/balance in order to meet that need, but since I'm not then I don't.

In the end..."its just money" ;)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ounces are pounds, pounds are pain.

That said, there's "philosophy of use" and there's cost/benefit.

OP has a freaking beautiful rifle, but he isn't shooting benchrest matches with it (though it easily meets his accuracy needs) and he isn't going to the sandbox to fight with it in a neglected maintenance state (though he easily could use it to defend self/others).

Heavy, out of balance rifles suck if they are intended for field use, which is why I'm taking my bolt guns from 26" barrels down to 18-20" and thinking of a thinner contour on my SPR. Of course if I were shooting PRS comps and needed velocity as part of the "game" then I'd live with the weight/balance in order to meet that need, but since I'm not then I don't.

In the end..."its just money" ;)

You hit the nail on the head AV, It really all comes down to what your intended purpose of the rifle is. I wanted something that had a bit more capability than a standard 16" carbine, little longer barrel with a magnified optic to help reach out past 100yrds or so. I wanted to keep it light so I could tote it around in Run-N-Gun or tactical carbine matches and not be drug down by a heavy weight rifle. If it were strictly going to be something I shot from the bench or prone then oh yea by all means Id have a heavy barrel and the Hubble telescope on there for an optic. I wanted this rifle to be able to shoot around MOA at 100yrds with good ammo consistently and it seems to be meeting that goal thus far. I plan on doing some load testing for it, but over all Im very happy with it.

Top Bottom