• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lindsey Graham's bill to disarm based on medical conditions; NRA approves

Hours before a private dinner with Barack Obama, Lindsey Graham announced a bipartisan Senate bill that will disarm Americans based on their medical conditions. Graham is the lead sponsor.

The new gun control law is endorsed by the NRA. Graham joined Sens. Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Mark Begich (D-AK) and Mark Pryor (D-AR) in calls to create new classes of "unfit" people who will be federally stripped of their rights.

Lindsey Graham gun bill targets mentally ill
    “We need to fix this major flaw in the system,” Graham told reporters Wednesday. “There are lot of emotion around the gun violence issue, but I am hopeful this is one area where we can find tremendous bipartisan support to fix what I think is a gaping gap in our law.”

The National Rifle Association immediately endorsed the measure, one of the few pieces of gun legislation in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shooting that the organization has supported.

“This bill will create accurate definitions of those who pose serious threats and should be barred from the ability to buy or possess a firearm, while protecting the rights of law abiding citizens and veterans,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action in a statement.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Graham repeatedly mentioned that there are 14,000 residents of South Carolina that would be immediately federally prohibited from gun ownership.

He also believes that there needs to be a mechanism to strip rights from military veterans with PTSD, in a "rational" way.

"We just have to be careful how far we go," Graham said, aware of the slippery slope, but undeterred.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-e8xPIPASM

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    images

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I'm rather torn on this one. I agree with the idea that this is "aimed" at. Problem being, as I see it, nearly ALL politicians can't aim, or they have blinders on. This is such a slippery slope that unintended consequences could easily spring up or other law makers from the Anti-Gun mentality :rules: Could easily use this as a spring board to advance other restrictions. Just like they are splitting apart the new "Assault Weapons Ban" to get portions passed, they can split things up and pass them that when looked at "after the fact" can weave together a real nasty net.:evilangel:

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    This one's got me scratching me head over why the NRA would back it. I agree that the stated goal sounds good, but the devil is always in the details. I can't see any way this would NOT become a cluster-#&%* of epic proportions.

Not to mention, wouldn't this kind of data collection on medical history go directly against HIPAA laws?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The bill would add people who plead not guilty by reason of insanity to the electronic background check system that determines if someone can purchase a gun. It adds a list of additional disqualifiers, including being deemed a risk and having a court find the personally mentally disabled.

I agree with a lot of what they are talking about SO FAR. But, for one piece I would like to know EXACTLY what " being deemed a risk" means and how is it determined and by whom. A lot of folks, including from INGO have pointed out the fact that most of the killers like Lanza and other mass/spree killers have mental defects in common and suggest finding ways to keep guns from them. Makes sense. As long as it is done RIGHT. And who here REALLY trusts our gov't to get ANYTHING right?

The only real problem I have with what I have read so far, is the phrase "being deemed a risk". It is too vague and open ended. And this is only on info from a news article. We need to read what they have in print and then we can make judgments one way or another. :twocents:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    This one's got me scratching me head over why the NRA would back it. I agree that the stated goal sounds good, but the devil is always in the details. I can't see any way this would NOT become a cluster-#&%* of epic proportions.

Not to mention, wouldn't this kind of data collection on medical history go directly against HIPAA laws?

Agreed. And as far as HIPAA goes, that can easily be addressed in the Bill as and exemption. But the NICS records then would likely have to become confidential based on the confines of HIPAA. That could throw a wrench into the agendas of a couple of groups. :D:D:D

I think the NRA is JUMPING on this to avoid any of the gun nazis out there being able to say that they are against ANYTHING to reduce gun crime and to be able to say they care about the victims. Can't blame them either. As long as the thing ends up making SENSE.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    This is grounds for a national witch hunt. It's the equipment to the Spanish inquisition.

Pretty much everyone who saw combat will have PTSD. You can get PTSD from sitting in front of a computer in Iraq.

I foresee a LOT of people not going to the doctor now. This will cause the black market for prescription drugs to soar. People will have to turn to drug dealers to get their cholesterol medicine. All of the money fed into the BM will further fund violence and terrorism.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    This is grounds for a national witch hunt. It's the equipment to the Spanish inquisition.

Pretty much everyone who saw combat will have PTSD. You can get PTSD from sitting in front of a computer in Iraq.

I foresee a LOT of people not going to the doctor now. This will cause the black market for prescription drugs to soar. People will have to turn to drug dealers to get their cholesterol medicine. All of the money fed into the BM will further fund violence and terrorism.

They are already sending letters to vets telling them that because they have been seen by a Psych. for issues stemming from combat that they are ineligible to own or purchase weapons. Has been going on for a little while already.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The bill would apply to:

• People found by a judge, court, board or commission to present an imminent danger to themselves or others.

• Criminal defendants who have been found guilty and mentally ill, not guilty by reason of insanity or incompetent to stand trial.

• People who have required involuntary inpatient treatment at a psychiatric hospital.

Those meeting at least one of those standards would have their names added to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS.
    http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...would-block-sales-mentally-ill?nclick_check=1

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The problem with this is it will create a barrier to people seeking treatment for mental illness in some cases. Still it is hard to advocate that mentally ill folks should be allowed weapons. An alternative would be to incarcerate those adjudicated as mentally ill in an appropriate facility but let anyone not adjudicated as mentally ill still maintain their 2A rights. Difficult issue.

verredart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the government were to go beyond the three criteria listed and begin mining everyone's medical records ( electronic medical records mandate - anyone? anyone?) and they used this info for the purposes of regulation and punishment. Would this not be a violation of the 5th Amendment prohibtion against self-incrimination? I mean, simply by seeking help from your private physician if it resulted in loss of rights and siezure of property you have been forced to incriminate yourself, right?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The bill would apply to:

• People found by a judge, court, board or commission to present an imminent danger to themselves or others.

• Criminal defendants who have been found guilty and mentally ill, not guilty by reason of insanity or incompetent to stand trial.

• People who have required involuntary inpatient treatment at a psychiatric hospital.

Those meeting at least one of those standards would have their names added to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS.

If that doesn't already include people the police decide need to sit in the psychiatric facility for 24 hours of observation, it eventually will.

Top Bottom