• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'd like to line my 1 acre in fruit trees. Where can I get 3'-5' fruit trees in Northern Indiana? The local greenhouses don't have enough trees and they want $50-$80 per tree.

Thanks!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    How about contacting an area orchard. Maybe they are looking to restock some of the trees in their orchard and would be interested in going in on a group buy with you. Might also gain some valuable insight into what types grow best in your area as well as how to care for them. They may be skeptical that you are creating competition for them so approach them carefully with that in mind. Sounds like you may be planning long term and might produce more than your current needs. Work a deal where the orchard will harvest your fruit and sell it for a cut.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I planted 7 trees from TyTy Nursery in Ga. late last fall. We'll see how they do in the spring.

Make sure and pay attention to zone and pollination.

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Don't know how many you are needing but you may try Lowes. They usually have good stock and with their buying power you get good pricing. But talk with the manager and see if they will get you a volume discount, try for 10%. They will usually agree if your buying a lot. Like over 30 or so. You also get a 1 year warranty.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I am also interested in where people got their fruit trees. We are planning to buy a few within the next week from Gurney's (They have a 50% off sale until 3/11), but if there is better value somewhere local that would be fantastic!

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    On this same note what about when best to plant. According to the first link they wont even ship till nov so that the plants are dormant. Also is there something you should do to keep deer from eating them in the winter?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    On this same note what about when best to plant. According to the first link they wont even ship till nov so that the plants are dormant. Also is there something you should do to keep deer from eating them in the winter?
    Hmm, I would like these this spring. Deer don't bother my yard, perhaps it is the dog.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    The "Best" time to plant is in the fall or early winter. The tree is using stored resources to establish new roots, then in the spring the roots can sustain the trees needs much better.
    But you can plant in the spring, but you will most likely have to water it the first summer in drought time till it get's established. Once a week is fine for watering.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You could also try Gurney's. I've bought trees from them and they've done pretty well. They come as bare root stock and don't cost a fortune. I've also bought a number of plants from them as well, that have done very well. I recall getting and planting my trees in the spring, but it's been years now. Your best bet with bare root stock is to put them in planters the first year and let them establish roots, then plant them the next year. You can plant bare root the first year, too (I have). Just takes a bit more TLC. Gurney's is also an Indiana company.

Gurney's Seed and Nursery - America's Most Complete Seed and Nursery Company Since 1866

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would suggest taking time to plan and educate now will make things much more successful over time. Perhaps you could check out… The Permaculture Orchard : Beyond Organic |
    Permaculture Voices Podcast 021: The Permaculture Orchard | Permaculture Voices.

In the simplest terms, a permaculture orchard would involve planting a diverse range of fruits. The thought being that if you planted a border of apples and a pest came along that liked apples – it would hop from tree to tree like dominos and feast. But if there were a peach, maple, cherry, pear, locust. plum and pecan before the next apple – that diversity would provide natural pest management. If you would consider adding bushes like raspberries, sea buckthorn, blueberries and goose berries to the mix – all the better.

My go to places for quality trees are Fedco in Maine Fedco Trees - tree sale info and Raintree Fruit Trees, Berries, Nuts, Ornamentals, Raintree Nursery in Washington. They are top quality – and expensive. But you get what you pay for. If you are not in a rush, starting from seed is very economical. Generally seeds create a well-established root stock. Then you would graft the varieties you want to that after a year of growth.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Gurney's has been great about answering my questions. Apparently they warranty their plants as i lost several with a suden frost last spring. Will see if i take them up on the replacements. I feel like its my fault since i didd not notice frost warnings.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You might also look into your local county soil & water conservation district. I'm not exactly sure how many of them do this, but Marion Co's does yearly tree sales at pretty cheap prices, and they often have several fruit trees in their selection to choose from. I think it's usually in the fall though.

Dunno if that'll help at all, but it might be worth a shot.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008

I have purchased many trees from Stark Brothers. I highly recommend them over local sources due to available variety. Once you have experience with apples and other fruit trees, you will become much more discerning about the KIND of fruit you want. Not all apples taste or store as well as others. Local stores have very little variety available in my experience. Read through all the types of apples that Stark has. Buy and taste test all the kinds of fruit that you can, then buy the tree types that produce the fruit that you like. There is much more to life than red delicious!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm with bwframe on Stark Bros. I planted several of their fruit trees, English Walnuts and pecans as well as blueberries over the past 15 years. All have thrived and produce every year without fail. I believe they are in Michigan so would support Northern Indiana growing conditions. Just my opinion. YMMV

Top Bottom