• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I won't go into why I got into the Linux operating system but I'm glad I did.
    It was super easy to download and install once I understood how to do it. It is very much like my Windows XP on my older Pentium 4 machine.

I'm currently running it off of a USB thumb drive but if you desire to put it on your hard drive there is an option to do that.

Now I am no expert by any means and I have to ask others how to do most anything concerning computers but if you are still running an older version Windows and don't like it you need to try Linux. So far I have found nothing that I don't like about it.

Oh! And did I mention that it's FREE!
    You can of course donate to them and should.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first attempts at Linux were around 97. I was dabbling in Redhat because I got a disk in a book. I primarily had Mac hardware so I started using PPC distros, Yellow Dog for one. I got to beta test Mandrake’s first version. . After a few years of that, I got a Wintel tower and laptop. So I started trying the mainline distros again. I used to always keep a couple extra partitions on my boxen (haven’t used that word in years) to test the newest releases. Somewhere along the way 15+ years ago I started using Slackware. It just seemed the easiest for me or simplest.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I used Mint for about 2 years and it was great. I replaced my old failing laptop recently with a new Dell and haven't reinstalled it yet because I've been too lazy to look up how to defeat the secureboot feature this laptop has. This amount of time with Windows 10 has given me plenty of time to hate it though. I need to get Mint on this thing soon.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm an old UNIX guy, from before PC and macintoy even existed. I was just a luser on a BSD system, but I learned what I could. It made it easy for me to get Mandrake/KDE running when I first started transitioning off windoze. I was still using 98se at the time with some utilities to keep it running for weeks at a time, especially the memory leaks. Still not like running for years until you need a hardware change like a good UNIX/Linux. I wandered back to windoze for a while, but since win 8 and especially 10, I have one laptop with 7 on it to run a couple of special printers until I get off my posterior and put them under Wine, but no more micro$oft for me. I downloaded Kubuntu because it was KDE-centric, but KDE had changed so much I despised it. I'm on Mint/Cinnamon myself, running as the sole OS on the drive. Nothing annoying happens. The box I'm on right now is an old Core 2 laptop I bought used for $200, but it keeps up with a lot, including a second huge monitor with some windows on it.

How else could you pluralize box? Don't you go to the store for a few boxen of kleenices?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm an old UNIX guy, from before PC and macintoy even existed. I was just a luser on a BSD system, but I learned what I could. It made it easy for me to get Mandrake/KDE running when I first started transitioning off windoze. I was still using 98se at the time with some utilities to keep it running for weeks at a time, especially the memory leaks. Still not like running for years until you need a hardware change like a good UNIX/Linux. I wandered back to windoze for a while, but since win 8 and especially 10, I have one laptop with 7 on it to run a couple of special printers until I get off my posterior and put them under Wine, but no more micro$oft for me. I downloaded Kubuntu because it was KDE-centric, but KDE had changed so much I despised it. I'm on Mint/Cinnamon myself, running as the sole OS on the drive. Nothing annoying happens. The box I'm on right now is an old Core 2 laptop I bought used for $200, but it keeps up with a lot, including a second huge monitor with some windows on it.

How else could you pluralize box? Don't you go to the store for a few boxen of kleenices?

boxes is how.

Kleenex is a proper noun so you don't change the ending. Kleenexes

There was another thread a few days ago where we had some well-written ramblings about the issues with English.

I dabbled in redhat a few years back, never really stuck due to gaming support. Might have to try linux out again. I have a little touchscreen notebook/tablet thing for workroom/garage music and manuals. came w/ W10 from the pawn shop but windows keeps b****ing about needing 8gb free to download an update while it's taking up 25 of the 28gb available on the drive (32gb minus formatting).

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've reverted back to version 17.2 because I was having monitor issues with 18.3 and rather than figure it out I just switched.
    The issue is that the screen suddenly went black for several seconds and then it would come back on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sounds like driver (kernel module) issue. It may be loading the wrong one or loading two that conflict. That was what I hated when everything went to automagical configuration.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And vertex -> vertices. You have to be a real grammar enthusiast to be able to see the humor in these misusages,

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I first got exposed to unix in about 1978...I wasn't much of a fan. Did the DEC Ultrix, IBM AIX, SCO-Unix, and few others before being foisted on microcomputers running everything from Apple DOS, TRSDOS, ProDOS, LDOS, CP/M, MP/M, PC-DOS, MS-DOS, and finally Windows and Macintosh. I guess I am totally agnostic because I've hated every one of them at one time or another. Frankly I'd rather be fishing.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    CP/M 86 came this -X- close to being the IBM PC operating system. I go back to not having the RAM to even have an operating system, so anything was a luxury. In HS we got a new computer, PR1ME they had on the label. I guess we had upgraded from some old DEC box. The name of the operating system was not to be spoken, or something. Available to the HS geeks were three, I think they were Hazeltines, kept under close observation, and the rest of us were on old DECWriter IIIs. I still have a DECWriter something with a phone modem on it, and by phone modem I mean the thing you take your phone handset and jam the ear thing and the mouth thing into the corresponding holes. Pure Bell 103, 300 baud, 300bps. Hacking would have generated suspiciously large paper wastage.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Been at it a bit, first linux exposure was 1997. If I could get away at work with using Linux all the time I would. (They would frown on that being a Microsoft/AD shop)...
    Was pretty priceless when I showed our top notch server guys how to get around maliciously changed admin credentials on a server using a Linux Mint Bootable CD though....5 minutes or less as long as I have physical access.

Its also how we deal with folks that forgot their passwords on their windows 10 home machines too, now that I showed them the trick. No fussing with matching the version of Windows installer disk for the MS workaround...

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    I first got exposed to unix in about 1978...I wasn't much of a fan. Did the DEC Ultrix, IBM AIX, SCO-Unix, and few others before being foisted on microcomputers running everything from Apple DOS, TRSDOS, ProDOS, LDOS, CP/M, MP/M, PC-DOS, MS-DOS, and finally Windows and Macintosh. I guess I am totally agnostic because I've hated every one of them at one time or another. Frankly I'd rather be fishing.

I'm so old... I remember the Prime. I also remember when it hit the dumpster.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have an Iomega external hard drive that I used with True Image software to supposedly copy my entire XP operating system and all of my files and programs. It is not connected to the computer or the Internet and has not been for some time. That was back when everything was working fine.
    Now if I knew how to use it I could keep Win XP on the external drive and wipe out my internal drive and install Linux Mint 17.2 couldn't I?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can dual boot a system in either OS off the HD, with both installed. Typically you would have it ask you at bootup which you want, and default to one or the other if you've started it and left for a sandwich.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I used to run Linux Mint 17.3 and 18.2, but got tired of digging through forums and having to split the atom anytime I needed to install a printer or other device. Lord help you if you want to try a scanner...

Top Bottom