• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Trying to set up a wireless connection. AT&T is no help. Anyone here have any experience getting a wireless connection with Ubuntu and U-verse?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    you may need to type the ip of the router in your address bar of firefox or whatever browser you are using. What type of router do you have

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Are you able to see the wireless network? If so its probably a setting on the router that needs changing, if not its probably your computer :D

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    It's fairly easy to do, as long as you have the proper drivers installed - I'd check that FIRST. Although, ATT UVerse has a known issue with connecting to some wireless devices ( I've seen issues with Win7 ).

Use Network Manager, find your wifi's SSID and type in the password - that's IT!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Have you connected to WiFi before with that computer running Ubuntu? If not, definitely look into the drivers as misconfig suggested

A google search shows some threads on some of the Ubuntu Forums about this issue, and there are some fixes listed you could try first.

However, it looks like some never got the issue resolved with UVerses wireless router, and had to buy and had to buy a different router.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Have you connected to WiFi before with that computer running Ubuntu? If not, definitely look into the drivers as misconfig suggested

A google search shows some threads on some of the Ubuntu Forums about this issue, and there are some fixes listed you could try first.

However, it looks like some never got the issue resolved with UVerses wireless router, and had to buy and had to buy a different router.

If this is a fresh Ubuntu install, you may need to hook the machine up directly VIA wired connection and install ALL of the updates. Also, allow any "proprietary drivers" as most wifi cards use the manufacturers supplied driver.

I would suggest going that route, first. After the full update and driver install, reboot the machine and proceed with trying to connect it to wifi, again.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If this is a fresh Ubuntu install, you may need to hook the machine up directly VIA wired connection and install ALL of the updates. Also, allow any "proprietary drivers" as most wifi cards use the manufacturers supplied driver.

I would suggest going that route, first. After the full update and driver install, reboot the machine and proceed with trying to connect it to wifi, again.

Ah, too little info, the bane of tech support, eh? :D

Is it a fresh install
    Which version of Ubuntu
    What type of computer
    Which ATT wireless router
    What LAN device in the 'puter
    What drivers
    How is the router configured
    et al

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ah, too little info, the bane of tech support, eh? :D

Too much can be just as bad. Nothing like trying to parse a 5 page ticket where someone has put everything single package including versions installed on their system. (and it turns out to just be misconfigured a DNS)

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Appreciate all the responses. I installed Ubuntu on my last laptop so I thought I would give it a shot on this one. I never had one problem using the last partitioned laptop (Although the U-Verse tech set up the wireless for me).

The download for this laptop went just as smooth. I just have no idea how to get the wireless going. Passwords, IP addresses etc. It is a 2Wire modem/router connected to a Gateway NV5CC laptop with Windows 7. The most recent version of Ubuntu. Don't know anything about drivers.

Top Bottom