• cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Flame suit on...

IMG_1390.JPG

Deal came across and I have approximately half the money I’d have in a DW in it. I reason I can spend the difference on upgrades and end up with a respectable and reliable pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Flame suit on...

View attachment 68280

Deal came across and I have approximately half the money I’d have in a DW in it. I reason I can spend the difference on upgrades and end up with a respectable and reliable pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The metallurgy here is suspect in my opinion. Do as you will but in my recent experience what I am finding in the DW line up especially since CZ bought them is top shelf for the money.

Now if (like me) you enjoy doing the up-grades then heck yes get after it. But I would not start with a Kimber. JMHO of course.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, with a DW you would buy the pistol and not need upgrades, or you can buy the Kimber at half the price and need the other half for upgrades. All according to which you would prefer to do. Personally I like buying the quality of DW and knowing there isn't anything that really needs to be done to it. Caveat that I will add for the CCO model specifically is that the front strap texturing is too slick. An inexpensive rubber finger groove addition addresses that and makes the gun much more controllable. YMMV.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My experience with Kimber is limited and negative. That being said....

I have been bouncing around 10 mm 1911's lately and watching a lot of RECENT comments on the Kimbers. Seems like the quality control is in line with much of the industry (not that the standard is real high) and significantly improved from years past. Sounds like Kimber mags are still suspect (go with some Wilson Combats) but the general fit/finish/function of the Kimbers has improved. Unfortunately, if they have turned things around, it will take a long time to turn the public perception around (Sig? Are you listening??).

Get some rounds down range and let us know how it shoots and functions for you. From what I have been reading and chatting with gun store counter people about, if you get a good one - you will have a really nice firearm for the price.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The characteristics might not be that different but the execution is. Fitment, blending, finishing is just better in the Dan Wesson.

I have a couple of SWs that are superb shooters (EE!!!) but take them or a Colt apart and compare it to a DW and the difference is notable. Even the Performance Center Smith’s which are priced close to DW just are not quite to that level of refinement.
    the thing is a S&W doesn’t carry the “performance name” and tend to fall thru the cracks on LGS pricing; I picked up a performance center pre-E series for the cost of a new rock island; Dan weasons on the other hand carry a “premium name” and with that name always have a premium price; same for kimbers etc

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    the thing is a S&W doesn’t carry the “performance name” and tend to fall thru the cracks on LGS pricing; I picked up a performance center pre-E series for the cost of a new rock island; Dan weasons on the other hand carry a “premium name” and with that name always have a premium price; same for kimbers etc

The DW is a better gun. Period. No knock on the S&W just going off personal experience.
    Fit/finish etc as to what I have seen.
    Enjoy the S&W. They are really OK pieces.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The DW is a better gun. Period. No knock on the S&W just going off personal experience.
    Fit/finish etc as to what I have seen.
    Enjoy the S&W. They are really OK pieces.

I have several SW 1911's and, with the exception of one very early model that has quality internals, the above is 100% accurate though I'd use the word nice instead of OK. HA!

The E-Series are a really OK err. nice value versus cost firearm and I'd put them up against anything in a similar price range. The Performance Center ones which will cost you $1200 to $1500 are just spit-shined E-series parts. Again, nothing wrong, I have 'em - but the craftsmanship isn't up to Dan Wesson standards.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several SW 1911's and, with the exception of one very early model that has quality internals, the above is 100% accurate though I'd use the word nice instead of OK. HA!

The E-Series are a really OK err. nice value versus cost firearm and I'd put them up against anything in a similar price range. The Performance Center ones which will cost you $1200 to $1500 are just spit-shined E-series parts. Again, nothing wrong, I have 'em - but the craftsmanship isn't up to Dan Wesson standards.

Well I did say "Really" OK.....:):
    Not just OK

Top Bottom