• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Please list the gear needed for beginners to start predator hunting. I've started to collect gear and have been out a few times so far just to get my feet wet, but would like to know what gear the experienced predator carries and any helpful tips!
    List so far:
    Electronic call (optional)
    Hand calls
    Decoy(optional)
    Camo hunting gear (gillie suit)
    Shooting sticks / bipod / tripod
    Scent(optional)
    Gun suitable for coyotes or any small game
    Anything else please add

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'd add a sharp knife.

Avoid collecting gear and shift as quickly as possible into using it. A person suitably clothed against the elements, with a suitable firearm, and a set of lips to squeak with, can make due.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    I would add:

Binoculars -when your walking to your spot your going to want to be looking around. There's been times when we've spoted coyotes when we were walking to our spot.

Rangefinder- optional, just nice to know exactly how far your shot is.

Water proof boots- boots that go up to your ankles especially if your hunting at night because you don't know what kind of crap you might step in.

Skinning knives- you'll get more money for the pelt if you've already done this step. If you bring the carcass in you will usually get less.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You dont need a darn gillie suit, you can make a set of cheap shooting stix(google varmit al's webpage for plans), I switched to a mono pod that colapses down real easy. I think Walmart has them.You dont need any scent. Any high power .22 cal range will do just fine but you could also use pistols or bow or shotgun if that is all you have available. A good filtered light if going at night and dont leave home without a decoy. A quiver critter is a good cheaper one that works and is easy to pack. I carry a good heater-seater cushion in this weather. You dont need anything else. Stay as light and quiet as possible and have a lot of spots to hit. If they dont come in within 15 minutes or so take off to the next spot.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't worry about buying the E-Calls, Decoys, Ghillies, ect the hunting industry has lured you into the market with. It isn't necessary. It amazes me how many people, and it is the vast majority, do their shopping before they get their boots muddy. Most folks that take up predator calling, especially in Indiana, are not going to see the success that will keep them in the game. 10-15 stands is probably the life expectancy of a new coyote hunter in this state. When it's all said and done, a lot of guys have $50-$100 invested in every stand they made in their calling career. It's not all it's cracked up to be on TV.

I always suggest people go try it, see what it's all about, and then get tools that help you IMPROVE your game if it's something you want to stick with. Without land access, general hunting knowledge, and some insight into the habits of predators... all the bells & whistles in the world aren't going to put fur on the ground.

I've killed an awful lot of predators wearing blue jeans and a Carhartt. I found an application (calling cats in the Southwest) where I felt a Ghillie would be an advantage so I bought the best money could buy... I've found it offers no benefit to me on Indiana coyote stands when I'm setup properly. Ironically, everywhere I go new predator hunters tell me how they are waiting to get a Ghillie suit so they can give it a try. Cracks me up. :popcorn:

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    Take whatever gear you think will give you the best possibility to take a coyote. I've gone hunting before and have done everything wrong, and still had them come in. I've also gone and did everything right, and have seen nothing. At the end of the day, it all depends on whether or not they're there and how hungry they are! I've used red spotlights and spooked them and have used regular plain ol white spotlights and had them come charging in! Again, its hunting so you just never know!

I do think my most important piece of equipment is a shooting platform of sorts. Be it a bipod, shooting stick etc. Trying to shoot a yote free hand at a couple hundred yards is tough!

Just get out there and enjoy!

Top Bottom