Btown Rural
    giphy.gif

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The while "trolling" issue isn't as clear-cut in INGO as it might be on other forums.

One thing I have noticed time and again is how emotionally people tend to react to controversial topics of conversation, and how those emotions can dramatically change the direction of that conversation. In a group like ours, where a large number of users tend to agree on topics considered controversial in broader society, users that advance incongruent or outright opppsing viewpoints are are often mocked for wrongthink or accused of trolling.

Trolls don't really serve an important purpose, but diversity of ideas does.

When I started as a mod I saw my role as "rule enforcer" (like an INGO cop), and I acted when I saw violations of INGO rules. As my role developed, I began to see it less as gatekeeping rule breakers, and more like a referee in professional rasslin'. In the INGO rasslin' league most of the competitors cast themselves role of "Hero", and since we are so ideologically homogenous here, anyone with an opposing view gets forced into the role of "Heel". A lot of the time I gave the "heels" a little more leeway than the "heros", otherwise there wouldn't be enough competitors to field a match.

We need "heels". We need guys that aren't afraid to express opposing ideas. Without them our discussions become echo chambers filled with straw men and overconfident ideologues.

By the end of my tenure as a mod, my "prime directive" whas to keep things from getting personal between users...argue all you want, make it passionate, heated even...but don't make it personal. If you go back and view my actions as a mod while keeping in mind my motivations, you may see things differently. I did what I did to try to keep INGO as welcoming as possible to all gun owners, including those with opposing viewpoints.

The mods do a good job here, and they always have. No one cares more about INGO than those guys. I still include myself in that group, at least.

You and I got off on a very wrong foot but I am now proud to call you a friend. A lot is lost in the written word and I remain very grateful for your and all the membership's kindness during my daughter's surgery last year.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've said this before: banning mbills is like kicking a puppy...sure, it's easy to do, but it feels so bad.

I mean...he's just a little feller, how could you ban him?
    Aha! So this is what people were talking about when they referenced a personal mod.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    INGO History Pop Quiz. The one time I was banned, who laid down the Hammer?

You? I recall it being a self-ban or something?

Me too...And he temp banned me once...Once...:)

Same here. Funny, it was for something that would be okay to say now that religious discussion is allowed. Also something I probably wouldn't say now, as my views have evolved since then.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom