• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have a .308 bolt gun that started as a with a Savage 12FV varmint. I have changed some things and added a B&C stock. It is heavy.

I am looking for a lite weight .308 for hunting and some target shooting. I am looking for a workhorse. I would want to stay in the $800 neighborhood for the rifle. I'd like a decent trigger and obviously good accuracy. Looking for some recommendations. I see Savage 10/110 series is often recommended. Tikka and Browning have been recommended but I don't know if they are in the price range.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just recently bought a Mauser M18 in 6.5 Creedmoor and couldn't be happier. It's not quite as light as the Tikka, but if I remember correctly it goes about 7.5, with scope. Feels light to me. They have a 5 shot MOA guarantee for what that's worth. Obviously you have to have the right ammo for any rifle to shoot MOA, and you have to be able to pull the trigger. BTW, the trigger on the M18 is freaking fantastic. Rifle goes for anywhere between 550 and 700 from what I've seen. I got mine for under 600 a couple of months ago.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is actually a topic of growing interest in the industry. Savage makes a lightweight that's around 7#. Many manufacturers are starting to get the hint that people want a lighter weight rifle that's just as accurate, at least for the first few rounds anyway. I don't know what the target weight cut off is for you. For some it's 6#, 7#, and so on. The heavier the rifle weight gets the more options there seem to be. The best deal I've seen tends to the savage lightweight storm at 5 and a half pounds and used to be around $650 back when everything was readily available. Personally, I think that's light enough that if you needed to bed the action to get it shooting well you'd have enough room to add weigh and still be very light.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    If you can find a Remington Mod 7 it'll do everything you want and need it to do. Lightweight and easy to carry at altitude. My freinds weighed about 6.5lbs with a leupold 2-8 scope.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you can find a Remington Mod 7 it'll do everything you want and need it to do. Lightweight and easy to carry at altitude. My freinds weighed about 6.5lbs with a leupold 2-8 scope.
    6.5# with a scope? That's a great hunting package I'd like to copy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a .308 bolt gun that started as a with a Savage 12FV varmint. I have changed some things and added a B&C stock. It is heavy.

I am looking for a lite weight .308 for hunting and some target shooting. I am looking for a workhorse. I would want to stay in the $800 neighborhood for the rifle. I'd like a decent trigger and obviously good accuracy. Looking for some recommendations. I see Savage 10/110 series is often recommended. Tikka and Browning have been recommended but I don't know if they are in the price range.
    The Tikka should be in your price range with a little bit of shopping and would be my choice. You can probably find a used X-bolt for under $800 and they are nice rifles as well. An A-bolt should be under $800 as well but were it me I'd hold out for the X-bolt if you decide to go Browning.

Top Bottom