• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    From another thread:

"I can and do appreciate the efforts and the sacrifices made by you and the other instructors to educate the general public. To show my appreciation, I invite you, Hawk and any 3 of the Indiana instructors to compete in a NRA Highpower match at Camp Atterbury that is hosted by CIHPRS. I will pay the 5 instructors match fees the first time and ensure that you have any equipment you may need.
    Our course of fire is very similar and the positions are exactly what you teach. Service rifle or match rifle, iron sights, 30 cal or less. I wouldn't suggest a "rack-grade rifle with surplus ammo." The 8 ring at 500 yards is 20 inches, just slightly less than a true 4moa."

1.WRWIII
    2.Amber

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From another thread:

"I can and do appreciate the efforts and the sacrifices made by you and the other instructors to educate the general public. To show my appreciation, I invite you, Hawk and any 3 of the Indiana instructors to compete in a NRA Highpower match at Camp Atterbury that is hosted by CIHPRS. I will pay the 5 instructors match fees the first time and ensure that you have any equipment you may need.
    Our course of fire is very similar and the positions are exactly what you teach. Service rifle or match rifle, iron sights, 30 cal or less. I wouldn't suggest a "rack-grade rifle with surplus ammo." The 8 ring at 500 yards is 20 inches, just slightly less than a true 4moa."

Very kind offer, thank you! I want to get some range time in... I'm far out of practice.. but once I'm back up to snuff, I'd very much like to come to one of these events.

FTR, we tell our shooters about what 4 MOA is and why that's the standard we use... that it's 20" ~= 4MOA @ 500 is no surprise.

Until I have a range at which to shoot again and opportunity to kill a brick of ammo or so, I'll pass on your offer, but I would like to come out sometime. It sounds like it might be almost as much fun as an Appleseed shoot. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Litlratt

Master
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Very kind offer, thank you! I want to get some range time in... I'm far out of practice.. but once I'm back up to snuff, I'd very much like to come to one of these events.

FTR, we tell our shooters about what 4 MOA is and why that's the standard we use... that it's 20" ~= 4MOA @ 500 is no surprise.

Until I have a range at which to shoot again and opportunity to kill a brick of ammo or so, I'll pass on your offer, but I would like to come out sometime. It sounds like it might be almost as much fun as an Appleseed shoot. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill
    You're welcome Bill.
    For those who aren't part of the first five. I just talked with Sue Mogle, who has attended an Appleseed, and we're going to discuss at the CIHPRS meeting next week a one time offer to any Appleseed Rifleman to shoot in a CIHPRS regular season match for Atterbury range fees only, which would be $10.00. Any subsequent match would be at full cost.

If this offer is approved, I'll allow the first five instructors to choose which match I pay for. Their first or second.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'll take you up on that. Getting you to pay my match fee would be almost as good as beating you on the line. I will also keep whatever I might win in the Master class....

Maybe you should modify the offer to only NRA Unclassified AS Instructors.:):

Like you, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Appleseed program. I have witnessed totally new rifle shooters being brought up to standard by these highly professional volunteer intructors.

It is the ONLY rifle shooting program I have ever seen that brings out the whole family to shoot for the weekend. Think of the ramifications of that, Litlratt......Heck even smallbore is dying..

Of course there is much more to the program than just marksmanship skills.

I hope to see you at an Appleseed soon, if not, I'll see you at Atterbury next year with my new knees...

Dean

Litlratt

Master
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'll take you up on that. Getting you to pay my match fee would be almost as good as beating you on the line. I will also keep whatever I might win in the Master class....

Maybe you should modify the offer to only NRA Unclassified AS Instructors.:):

Like you, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Appleseed program. I have witnessed totally new rifle shooters being brought up to standard by these highly professional volunteer intructors.

It is the ONLY rifle shooting program I have ever seen that brings out the whole family to shoot for the weekend. Think of the ramifications of that, Litlratt......Heck even smallbore is dying..

Of course there is much more to the program than just marksmanship skills.

I hope to see you at an Appleseed soon, if not, I'll see you at Atterbury next year with my new knees...

Dean
    Dean, I'm assuming you missed "the first time" part of the offer. You'll have to settle for the opportunity of beating me on the line, if you haven't done so already.

You and Ireland should start some kind of club with the new knees thing. I'm hoping that yours are well enough to compete next year.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would recommend attendance by any Appleseed instructor. I went last year at Mogs invite, and though we got rained out and I only finished the 200 yard COF, I had a great time. Wish dearly I could have fired the full course.

I did score a 96 2X sitting at 200 yards. I am quite proud of that for my first time with an AR! It was all Appleseed training......

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield

Blessings,
    Bill

How far away are you from the east side of Indy?

YHJ

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't wait to try a match until you think you're "good enough." You won't get there. Go and experience the match!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Don't wait to try a match until you think you're "good enough." You won't get there. Go and experience the match!

I don't want to be "good enough". I just want to get some trigger time in before I go. It's been darn near a year, with the exception of a couple of times at a 'seed. Those were abysmal.

Blessings,
    Bill

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I just need to get a centerfire that's capable of 4MOA first. I doubt my AK-74 is going to cut it.....

However I'm looking forward to shooting a match. Even if it's not part of Litlratt's Invitation.

Litlratt

Master
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I just need to get a centerfire that's capable of 4MOA first. I doubt my AK-74 is going to cut it.....

However I'm looking forward to shooting a match. Even if it's not part of Litlratt's Invitation.

I have an AR Service rifle that you're welcome to use.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would love to do this but the only thing i have open sights is a 16" barrel ar. i could take the scope off my rem 700 7mm. how many rounds of ammo should i expect to have loaded for this (just rough estimate)

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    You need to shoot open sights no optics allowed. I also think they require you to have a 20" tube. A 16" tube is all I have as well. I wonder if the high power rules will change since the military is issuing 16" ???

Bill I offerd you some trigger time with my AR at the Riley Appleseed last weekend. If I had known you were lacking trigger time we would have forced you. lol
    be confident in your skills and don't worry about it. It is just like riding a bicycle.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You need to shoot open sights no optics allowed. I also think they require you to have a 20" tube. A 16" tube is all I have as well. I wonder if the high power rules will change since the military is issuing 16" ???

Bill I offerd you some trigger time with my AR at the Riley Appleseed last weekend. If I had known you were lacking trigger time we would have forced you. lol
    be confident in your skills and don't worry about it. It is just like riding a bicycle.

I know you did, and I appreciated it then as now. I said no at the time mainly because I would not have been able to do what I wanted, which is to avoid the worries of the time monkey and just shoot.... What is it they say? "Amateurs do it until they get it right. Professionals do it till they can't get it wrong." I have confidence, just not DAve's level of it. :):

That and the cost of .223 is... slightly higher... than .22LR. :spend: ;)

Thanks again. This will come in time.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom