• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My 70 year old mother has finally decided she needs a firearm for home defense. She recently shot a 9mm Semi-auto and said it has too much kick.

She wants a revolver for ease of use (and I agree).
    I want it to have some stopping power.
    We both want it to hold at least 5 rounds.
    Please include calibers.

And, go:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My 78 year old father that has had two strokes can handle a S&W 36, all steel .38 caliber revolver with +P ammo. That is what I suggest.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Nagant revolver. Holds 7 rounds. Accurate. Has the stopping power of a 38 and kicks like a 22lr. It fires 7.62x38 AKA 7.62 nagant. Did I mention it has a gas chamber seal. Yes a gas chamber seal revolver.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Anything for mom

She may need to shoot more guns.
    Maybe they can be rented at your lgs or range.
    Perhaps you have friends or family that have a variety of guns you guys can meet and make a day of it.
    If these are not options you will probably have to buy many guns untill you find one that works for mom
    I know it is a sacrifice but think of all that she has done for you.:D

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I wouldn't worry so much about recoil, other than the fact that it might deter her from training. If she ever needs to use the gun, she will never realize the recoil. I do think that a revolver is the way to go because they are simple to use. I also think that a laser or laser grips are a must, it takes a lot of the guess work out of aiming plus quick target aquisition, and we have to admit, at 70 speed is not on her side. Another good choice to have sitting close to bedside is a 12 gauge SxS, (a coach gun), it doesn't get much simpler than that.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Have her try a few... but here are my thoughts...

SP101. Get a professional to go over the trigger. Get grips that fit. IMHO the grips that have room for a pinky are much easier to shoot.

I'd go for the .357 Mag (will shoot .38 SPL) in 3" or the .327 Mag (will shoot .32 H&R) in 3", then load is with .38's or .32 H&R.

S&W Model 19 (.357 Mag) 3-4" with target hammer/trigger. Get grips that fit. My "target" grips are a bit too big for most women's hands. Mine pulls what feels like ~6# in DA. Never measured the actual trigger pull. Any of the old Smiths (10, 14, 15) would get my approval too. The 60 and 66 if you like stainless.

For .38 ammunition I'd go with 158gr LSWC. +P if she can handle it. Remington is my preference for the "FBI" load. My second choice would be 135gr Speer Gold Dot "Short Barrel" .38 SPL.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What kind of 9mm? If it's a full size pistol, then it's likely that most 5 shot revolvers will have more felt recoil, even in .38spl. If it's an ultra compact hideout gun, then you might want to consider a bigger gun.

My 70 year old mother has finally decided she needs a firearm for home defense. She recently shot a 9mm Semi-auto and said it has too much kick.

She wants a revolver for ease of use (and I agree).
    I want it to have some stopping power.
    We both want it to hold at least 5 rounds.
    Please include calibers.

And, go:

Top Bottom