• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I'm curious if anyone can tell me what the blade width (not thickness) of a Randall Combat Companion is?
    I would like to mock one up some day. I have most of the dimensions, but am not sure of this one.

Any help is appreciated.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Hey Eric,

This guys are one of the largest distributors of Randall's that I have heard of (More than Randall carries themselves)
    Went to their site and some of their "stock" descriptions have dimensions.
    Looks like the mini's are coming in around 1.25"
    https://www.arizonacustomknives.com...aspx?ReturnUrl=Randall-Made-Knives.aspx?Page=

Question for all you Randall collectors... Why does Randall use 440B SS vs 440C ?? For everything I have read, B class is lower grade with less Cr ?
    Troy

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Not sure. I order all mine out of 0-1 tool steel. (Although I'm not a Randall collector, I'm a Randall user :) )

I think I read this somewhere and I'll try to find it. Types of steels mean virtually nothing to me so I don't pay much attention to it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    H
    Question for all you Randall collectors... Why does Randall use 440B SS vs 440C ?? For everything I have read, B class is lower grade with less Cr ?
    Troy

I'm not a Randall collector, but I can address that. Randall still forges and forging stainless is more complicated than plain carbon and tool steels. 440B is more forgiving when forging than is 440C.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I still maintain that all else equal (heat treatment, etc.), 440A and 440B allow you to get a thinner, sharper edge than you can get with 440C. The 440C is more abrasion resistant and the edge you can put on it will last longer.

Top Bottom