• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Finally got to get out to the range yesterday to shoot/sight-in my newest AR pistol. My 7 year old son and my brother-in-law came along for the ride down to Atterbury. The pistol is Spikes pirate lower with a CMMG lpk, RRA 2-stage trigger, and Sig brace on a KAK tube. The upper is a 11.5" BCM.

We put about 100 rounds through it. It ran perfectly.

Here's a photo (no idea why it is rotated... it shows up correctly on PB).
    IMG_1857_zps49f99c53.jpg

I didn't get an photos of my boy shooting the AR (he loved it), but I did get some shots of him shooting his Cricket and shooting a Bersa Thunder .22 pistol. This was the first time he ever shot a pistol. He really liked it.

IMG_1840_zps06e24619.jpg

IMG_1845_zps352e54e7.jpg

Every time I see that snaggle-toothed smile I cringe at how much his braces are going to cost me....:):
    IMG_1847_zps0da0ddb5.jpg

Great day!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Good job getting the youngins interested in the sport! Can't wait for my boy to be old enough to tag along. Also, great trigger discipline on the kiddos.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    That's a great thing you have done. You do realize I hope that if the Justice Dept. sees those photos you will be brought up on sedition charges and most likely be sent to Gitmo. Keep up the good work. I only wish that my Father had taken me shooting when I was that age.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    That is so cool that you are taking the time to teach you child in the shooting sports. Good on ya!! I remember taking my kids when they were young. They are grown now and still enjoy shooting. Now I have grandchildren on the way up. Looks like "papaw" will be buying BB guns soon. Then Crickets. Can't wait. Keep up the good work my friend.:D

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Every time I see that snaggle-toothed smile I cringe at how much his braces are going to cost me....:):

Yes but that's a great smile, it put a smile on my face... Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Pat

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Thanks all for the kind words. I'm looking forward to getting him out to an Appleseed in a couple of years. We don't get to go as often as we would like, but it is always fun.

Good job getting the youngins interested in the sport! Can't wait for my boy to be old enough to tag along. Also, great trigger discipline on the kiddos.

At his age, the trigger discipline takes a lot of reminders and discussion of why it is so important. We review and discuss the five rules on the way to and from the range (4 standard rules, plus my rule of: NEVER touch any firearm unless a responsible adult says it is okay - Me, Mom, or Grandpa are the responsible adults). He does very well keeping his trigger discipline while loading and preparing to shoot. The harder part for kids at this age to get is what happens after the shot. Occasionally I will have something to say after he takes his shot and I may have to remind him that the finger comes off the trigger BEFORE he looks up to listen to me. Safety is always the most important thing.

In my experience this is where the single shot cricket-type rifles are perfect for learning. It gives them a process to go through - Rifle pointed down range, bolt open, load round, close bolt, cock rifle, sights on target, THEN finger on trigger, squeeze trigger, finger off trigger, eject spent casing, repeat. Once I'm comfortable that his finger ALWAYS comes off the trigger after the shot, I'll get him his own semi-auto.

What I've found is as much as I like to shoot, I like to see my kids shooting and enjoying themselves even more. My daughter has been asking me about going shooting too... she's turns 5 in a couple months. She always sits down and 'helps' me clean the firearms after we shoot. Can't wait to get her started!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks all for the kind words. I'm looking forward to getting him out to an Appleseed in a couple of years. We don't get to go as often as we would like, but it is always fun.

At his age, the trigger discipline takes a lot of reminders and discussion of why it is so important. We review and discuss the five rules on the way to and from the range (4 standard rules, plus my rule of: NEVER touch any firearm unless a responsible adult says it is okay - Me, Mom, or Grandpa are the responsible adults). He does very well keeping his trigger discipline while loading and preparing to shoot. The harder part for kids at this age to get is what happens after the shot. Occasionally I will have something to say after he takes his shot and I may have to remind him that the finger comes off the trigger BEFORE he looks up to listen to me. Safety is always the most important thing.

In my experience this is where the single shot cricket-type rifles are perfect for learning. It gives them a process to go through - Rifle pointed down range, bolt open, load round, close bolt, cock rifle, sights on target, THEN finger on trigger, squeeze trigger, finger off trigger, eject spent casing, repeat. Once I'm comfortable that his finger ALWAYS comes off the trigger after the shot, I'll get him his own semi-auto.

What I've found is as much as I like to shoot, I like to see my kids shooting and enjoying themselves even more. My daughter has been asking me about going shooting too... she's turns 5 in a couple months. She always sits down and 'helps' me clean the firearms after we shoot. Can't wait to get her started!

It helps when I teach the scouts to "keep the booger hook off of the bang switch".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Great place to get a family range day at! :yesway:

I hope the wx is good this weekend so I can get mine out too.

My first shooting experience with my dad was hunting wabbits...he handed me a .410 and we headed for the woods. Tough way to learn but learn I did. Sort of OJT.

Top Bottom