• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Has anyone actually ever used one of those flashlights with those tactical stabby things on the end to defend themselves?

Last 1500 some guy talked my dad into buying a couple of cheapo LED flashlights with the "aggressive" end. He went on to look at me and say something along the lines of "i dont care how big or drunk someone is, you stick this in their throat and pull down they arent going to mess with you". I just looked at the XD9 on my hip and just kinda smirked and walked away. Dad bought like 6. sucker.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Some folks really like the idea. I own... well, too many flashlights. Surefire, Fenix, Nitecore, RexLight, Solarforce, Streamlight, Mag... anyway.

When the end of a flashlight looks like a Klingon device, it means I likely won't find it comfortable in a pocket.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The small stainless steel bezel rings - yes. The klingon looking things... no.

Help break a window (or view that the torch is still on when placed face down.)
    SOLARFORCE-BEZEL-SS-TACTICAL-TYPE1-PRO.jpg

Break a window... well, maybe. More like the airport security won't let you by. It also could make me change my log-on to uniball under the right circumstances.
    SOLARFORCE-BEZEL-SS-TACTICAL-TYPE2-PRO.jpg

This? Umm... not a window device.
    img1.jpg

More like something for this fine gentleman...

9668.gif

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The fancy ends on those flashlights attract buyers about like flashy fishing lures. A fishing buddy of mine once said that 99% of the lures on the market have caught more fisherman than fish. I'd say the same goes for those flashlights.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Today while on hold waiting to talk to customer service at Surefire the message playing in the background said one Surefire owner used his E2DL to pull himself out of the water after falling through the ice. I never thought of that use for the sharp bezel on my E2DL.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not personally a fan of the stabby bits.

They aren't great on pockets, and the TSA most likely won't let you pass with them. A firm strike with a stout handheld light, stabby bits or not, will not go unnoticed.

I've got a comparison review coming up on two popular lights, and I much preferred the light that had a screw-on ring, versus the one that was built in. More on that in a few days.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not personally a fan of the stabby bits.

They aren't great on pockets, and the TSA most likely won't let you pass with them. A firm strike with a stout handheld light, stabby bits or not, will not go unnoticed.

I've got a comparison review coming up on two popular lights, and I much preferred the light that had a screw-on ring, versus the one that was built in. More on that in a few days.

Tease. :):

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    The fancy ends on those flashlights attract buyers about like flashy fishing lures. A fishing buddy of mine once said that 99% of the lures on the market have caught more fisherman than fish. I'd say the same goes for those flashlights.

Thats hilarious! Been wondering if those things had a use,other than DNA sampler:D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I would probably put more faith in your basic weapons grade tactical flashlight...

You know, the ones with a strobe / blind mode...

I mean, having that would be better than nothing... but IMO it is like carrying a kubaton... If you are trained enough to use it, you can likely disable your attacker anyway if it comes to ONLY hand to hand combat.... And if you put faith in it and use it in the wrong situation, you may pay with your life.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    5333010655_1a1d66d269_b.jpg

6 bucks at the hardware store when i was buying tubing. best flashlight i have had easy on the pocket and has green leds in the center as well as an SOS strobe pattern if you hold down the on the button that i just recently discovered. To clarify first click is white, second click is green, third click strobe, and if you push-hold you get the SOS pattern.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am ashamed to admit that I purchased an expensive "tactical illuminator" with the little stabby bits. Not so much for the cool bezel (though it does look intimidating), but because the light was very bright and felt good in my hand. I will be flying to Mexico in February and will remove the batteries and pack in my checked luggage. The bezel might freak out the TSA. The light carries well in my work pants and since they are from a uniform company I don't care about the pockets. The bezel can poke you if wearing jeans. I do like that you can see if the light is on and that there is ventilation if the light is ever left lens down on a table (amazing how that can happen with kids, who love flashlights). I have used the little bezels to read reports while somebody else wad driving.

I really like my light. Not so much for the bezel but because I like the light. For me personally the pointy bezel really does not pose much of a disadvantage, but if you like tight pants I would avoid them.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I got a FENIX PD30 today, it has the wavy end on it, I guess it a compromise between smooth an stabby bits

Top Bottom