• Status
    Not open for further replies.

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    Greetings all, I am a country man at heart stuck in the hustle and bustle of Fishers and I work on the Westside of Indy so of course I get a dose of traffic as well. Counting down the days until I can work full remote and my son has graduated high school and is out doing his thing so I can move out to the Mt Summit area. Until then my girlfriend and I are slowly rehabbing her family property and working on building a functional mini farm. Possibly a couple of cows, meat rabbits and chickens in our future. Anyone here living that life in the Mt Summit I would love to connect for advice and community insight.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wife and I built our house in the country and moved from Fishers in 2004. Sadly Whitestown is staffed by a bunch of money hungry ***** that decided to turn my back yard into ****ing warehouse central. So we are just waiting another 6-7 years before we can retire someplace not there. Sucks because we could have easily made this our forever home.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    not sure of your timeline but why Mt. Summit? Aren't you kind of limiting where to look? The farmer to our southwest sold out and now we have a sub-division off our back corner. You just never know...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    not sure of your timeline but why Mt. Summit? Aren't you kind of limiting where to look? The farmer to our southwest sold out and now we have a sub-division off our back corner. You just never know...
    **** corporate *****. Can’t they just leave the country folk alone.

We researched for 3+ years for land to build. We got smack in the middle of multi generational big family farms. No one is building little pink houses here for a long time. Not in my or my family’s life time.

The commute is worth it. The land has tripled in value. Piece of mind, no crime, room to stretch out n move around. Quite. Secure. Serine.

Suggestion to the OP, get as far away from that crap as you can. Break out the .308’s.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Greetings all, I am a country man at heart stuck in the hustle and bustle of Fishers and I work on the Westside of Indy so of course I get a dose of traffic as well. Counting down the days until I can work full remote and my son has graduated high school and is out doing his thing so I can move out to the Mt Summit area. Until then my girlfriend and I are slowly rehabbing her family property and working on building a functional mini farm. Possibly a couple of cows, meat rabbits and chickens in our future. Anyone here living that life in the Mt Summit I would love to connect for advice and community insight.
    Advice? Get married b4 you put money in any sort of joint project. Protects you both. Shows actual commitment to the project AND the relationship. Good luck.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Farm work is really hard. Working for yourself, you'll have the toughest boss that you've ever had! It seems like there are some people who have very good reasons to move to the country, or Alaska for that matter. You might find that when you move to the country, you'll have some weird neighbors, too! If you don't believe me, just ask Oliver Wendell Douglas!:oldwise:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Farm work is really hard. Working for yourself, you'll have the toughest boss that you've ever had! It seems like there are some people who have very good reasons to move to the country, or Alaska for that matter. You might find that when you move to the country, you'll have some weird neighbors, too! If you don't believe me, just ask Oliver Wendell Douglas!:oldwise:
    T.v.watching swine are the worst neighbors.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO.

I feel your pain.
    I moved to Fishers in 1987 when it was about 1500 people.
    The only grocery store was Archer's Market just east of the tracks on 116th St.
    And just west of the tracks other than a few old houses, it was open fields.

City Hall was the old house just across the west side of the tracks on the south side of the road, and the police station was an old building that was little more than a big shed behind it that opened at 8am.

In some of the early growing phases it was a decent place to live as a few more things were brought in.
    But by the time I moved out of Fishers in May of 2016 I was SO glad to get out of that fustercluck.

This mentality that the more people and things that can be crammed in the smallest area automatically makes life better is insane.
    But that's the mentality of the people running Fishers now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Welcome to INGO.

I feel your pain.
    I moved to Fishers in 1987 when it was about 1500 people.
    The only grocery store was Archer's Market just east of the tracks on 116th St.
    And just west of the tracks other than a few old houses, it was open fields.

City Hall was the old house just across the west side of the tracks on the south side of the road, and the police station was an old building that was little more than a big shed behind it that opened at 8am.

In some of the early growing phases it was a decent place to live as a few more things were brought in.
    But by the time I moved out of Fishers in May of 2016 I was SO glad to get out of that fustercluck.

This mentality that the more people and things that can be crammed in the smallest area automatically makes life better is insane.
    But that's the mentality of the people running Fishers now.
    I can remember when I was a young kid, going up to visit some family friends in Carmel and it was a quiet little neighborhood (no idea exactly where it was now) with very small modest older homes. Definitely had a "blue collar" feel to it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can remember when I was a young kid, going up to visit some family friends in Carmel and it was a quiet little neighborhood (no idea exactly where it was now) with very small modest older homes. Definitely had a "blue collar" feel to it.
    Yes, and in the late 80's I worked at an office park at 71st and Shadeland.
    I lived on Lantern Rd a little south of 116th St.
    I could jump on I-69, fly down the road to 75th and go east to Shadeland and be to work in no more than 10-15 minutes.
    Traffic was light.
    It was great!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom