• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I was reading another Ingo thread where a gun shop owner handed a customer a pistol to inspect only to have the young man point it at him and pull the trigger. It was not loaded of course, but the incident reminded me of a few years back when I was browsing a shop looking for a small .22 revolver for my son to learn to shoot with. The woman behind the counter handed me a Ruger single six I believe; problem was it had 5 live rounds and one spent still in it. I asked her if it was store policy to keep the guns loaded they were selling as I ejected them on the counter.

Has anyone else ever been handed a loaded weapon in a gun store?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Until today every gun store always checked the chamber before handing me a gun.

I went to Rivercity Guns/Mt. Vernon Outfitters today in Mt. Vernon. Every single pistol this guy handed me, he handed it to me barrel first (pointed at me) and never once checked the chamber.

I went through about four pistols, each time racking the slide, and checking the chamber, and he never got the clue. Needless to say I walked out, and didn't look back.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    All the gun shops I have been to check except in one instance, and it was because the guy had a 1944 Walther German police pistol in near mint condition- he had checked it multiple times, and said he had stopped racking the slide every time because it was in such good condition at that age, and was trying to minimize wear. Other than that one weapon, though, he checks every time he hands you a weapon and every time you hand it back.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I would be weary of any place that doesn't do this. I even do this on my own firearm before putting it into the case even though I know I fired all the rounds in my magazine. I would probably even double check if I was at a gun shop looking at a gun now also. I was looking at guns today at a friends house and that the first thing I did on every single gun I handled.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Nope, I've always seen them check it; and I always insult their abilities and check it as soon as it's in my hands, then check it again and show clear before I hand it back, even if I didn't come close to touching ammo. This way we all go home at the end of the day and nobody is explaining to an insurance agent or LEO why there's lead in the floor (generally the best I can find for a backstop in most gunshops).

I think most of us all know, it only takes that one lapse of respect and we can end up in a world of hurt; we've got the 4 rules for a reason. I'm not very tolerant of those who ignore them and I certainly won't be spending $$ at a gun shop that does.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree, ALL weapons should be checked by the store clerk, by you, by you, and by the store clerk in that order. After all, it is the "I know that gun is unloaded" gun that has the uncommanded discharge.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Until today every gun store always checked the chamber before handing me a gun.

I went to Rivercity Guns/Mt. Vernon Outfitters today in Mt. Vernon. Every single pistol this guy handed me, he handed it to me barrel first (pointed at me) and never once checked the chamber.

I went through about four pistols, each time racking the slide, and checking the chamber, and he never got the clue. Needless to say I walked out, and didn't look back.

Let's enroll him in an INGO Safety Course: about 100 of us show up one Saturday morning to demonstrate safe gun handling procedure. :D

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    All the gun shops I have been to check except in one instance, and it was because the guy had a 1944 Walther German police pistol in near mint condition- he had checked it multiple times, and said he had stopped racking the slide every time because it was in such good condition at that age, and was trying to minimize wear. Other than that one weapon, though, he checks every time he hands you a weapon and every time you hand it back.

I can understand not racking the slide to preserve the weapon. I wonder why he didn't put an ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator) in the weapon.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    There were three people behind the counter, all pointing fingers at each other. Story was, they were out back earlier target practicing with it. No one person would man up(or woman up?) to leaving it loaded. Not that it mattered.......I have not been back since.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    When is a gun loaded? ALL THE TIME and it should be treated as such.

Not a big deal but a couple of weeks ago at MCSports a nice elderly couple were handed a pistol to admire. I am standing to the side of the woman who has it in her hand and the muzzle is pointed at me ....now I don't get too crazy at a gun shop when this happens because a lot of folks have no clue. She looked at me and probably noticed my concern about her gun safety and said "Oh.. don't worry its not loaded". The clerk lowered his head and shook it, so he was thinking the same thing I was. - Always treat a gun as if it were loaded-. I now wish I had spoke up and informed her, but with her husband there also, I felt it wasn't my place.

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Employees at gun shops/sporting goods stores should check the gun before handing it to the customer as well when the customer hands it back. There have been instances of customers putting live rounds into the gun while the employee wasn't looking and the employee put it back into the case.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Guilty as charged...It still felt weird handing you that pistol but how many 70 year old pistols used in the War are still in 99% condition??? Thanks for the business and the kind words.

Top Bottom