• Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Everyone has their worries, including people worrying about getting swept by unloaded weapons at a gun show. Least of my worries to be honest.
    I've been swept by plenty of LOADED firearms at the front door. I treat every firearm as if it were loaded, but that's just how I was brought up. Sure, 99.9999+% of the time it's not an issue. When it is, it's a major issue. I could also go about my daily life without carrying a firearm, most of the time I won't need it, but why why take a chance?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Front door of your business, or gun show? Are you on guard securing guests' weapons at the show?
    At the gun show. I don't work the front door very often anymore, but in the last 20 years I've put in lots of time checking weapons and I still do from time to time. I've lost count of the number of times that someone has brought in a loaded and chambered firearm, swept my face or chest with it and then seem puzzled that I find it disconcerting. I've seen people who really tried (not thoroughly enough) to unload it and simply missed a round in the cylinder or had a worn extractor that failed to eject a live round. I don't get to upset about that (those type of people generally keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction) and simply tell them that this is the reason we check them. The ones that done bother to check, or walk past 8 signs that clearly state "NO LOADED FIREARMS" and then proceed to point it at me and tell me it's loaded concern me.
    I understand that not everyone is raised around firearms and we all have to start somewhere. I try to remain calm and explain firearm safety to the uneducated when I have the opportunity but it sometimes feels like I'm fighting a losing battle...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Some thing new?
    I signed in and read the first page of this thread.
    I attempted to view the "HTML".
    I receive this message--

"Private mode detected!
    In order to read our site, please exit private/incognito mode or login to continue."

At first I see a Kokomo tribune page and it quickly disappears.
    Then the banner appears in a white box on a gray page.

I know I am signed in.
    I read several other threads.
    I also posted comments on threads.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    At the gun show. I don't work the front door very often anymore, but in the last 20 years I've put in lots of time checking weapons and I still do from time to time. I've lost count of the number of times that someone has brought in a loaded and chambered firearm, swept my face or chest with it and then seem puzzled that I find it disconcerting. I've seen people who really tried (not thoroughly enough) to unload it and simply missed a round in the cylinder or had a worn extractor that failed to eject a live round. I don't get to upset about that (those type of people generally keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction) and simply tell them that this is the reason we check them. The ones that done bother to check, or walk past 8 signs that clearly state "NO LOADED FIREARMS" and then proceed to point it at me and tell me it's loaded concern me.
    I understand that not everyone is raised around firearms and we all have to start somewhere. I try to remain calm and explain firearm safety to the uneducated when I have the opportunity but it sometimes feels like I'm fighting a losing battle...

The ones who point it at you while telling you it's loaded sound unstable. In comparison I find myself to be at the very other end of the safety spectrum when revealing my arms to the Sheriff, although that was only once or twice I believe.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    In Indiana, a firearm is "loaded" even when it's technically unloaded but ammunition is nearby.
    ""Loaded" Defined Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "loaded" means having any of the following:
    (1) A cartridge in the chamber or cylinder of a firearm.
    (2) Ammunition in close proximity to a firearm so that a person can readily place the ammunition in the firearm."
    Aside from Indiana's somewhat strange definition, you can tell that the sentence in question was definitely not written by someone familiar with firearms.
    If you think Indiana is strange with the definition of "loaded", Colorado is even more bizarre. If memory serves me correctly, in Colorado a firearm is "unloaded" if the chamber is empty, even if it has a loaded magazine in place.

I would be more in line with the Colorado definition of "unloaded" but now I know how Indiana defines "unloaded."

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    "Officers discovered the gun was loaded and had another bullet in the chamber."

It would seem that it would make it a little crowded in there or am I missing something in the translation?
    There's a distinction between a loaded firearm (ammunition in the magazine) and a loaded firearm with ammunition in the chamber. With a loaded firearm that has a round in the chamber, it takes a non-gun person or an idiot to have a negligent discharge. With a loaded firearm and no round in the chamber, it takes a determined idiot to have a negligent discharge.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

That's the reason I just conceal all my firearms that I'm taking into the gun shows.
    No chance of sweeping the cops trying to disarm me if they don't know they're there. This way the line moves faster and nobody needs to be stressed over it.

I'm always thinking of the man.
    You're Welcome! :)

Top Bottom