• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ingun999

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Just loading for target practice and using a lighter load, I was wondering if others have done this. Don’t crimp the casing, make it snug only. Any advice is appreciated and thanks.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    When I was reloading pracrtice/plinking ammo for my .357, using plated, non-cannellured bullets to .38 velocity, I used a light roll crimp. Never had a problem

ingun999

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I use bullets with no cannelure on my Dillon 550B and will set the die for a light crimp. I posted this because some bullet manufacturers were warning about plating separation, mainly due to a hot load or too tight a crimp.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Most played bullets that have problems when crimping have a very thin plate. Zero, Precision, or the RMR bullets don't seem to have that problem.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Never did this with 357 brass, but I have a few light loads using 44 mag brass. The loads are very accurate. My favorite uses 10 grains of AA#5 with a 240gr cast bullet (1050 fps). Unique is also good for this, but a slightly lower amount. Great for field pistol silhouette (that is shot at 25 to 100 yards). I never bothered getting 44 special brass, just all mag brass. Still need to crimp, as other mentioned.

I never liked plated bullets, but instead use cast for light loads. Always got better accuracy with cast. Don't need hard-cast for light loads, though. Save hard-cast bullets for magnum loads. I loaded a lot of cast 44 mag loads (fairly hot) for big-bore silhouette shooting (out to 200 meters).

I think you should have similar results with 357 mag brass. Work up loads for accuracy and I think you'll fine some nice loads. Good luck.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    If you have issues with roll crimping them, I use one of these on all of my light 38 Special loads.....https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=RE&i=85282

I've also used one for light 44 Mag loads also.

As you're probably well aware, you do have to be careful and make a small test batch to check for bullet pull....load 6 in the gun, fire 5, and measure the remaining cartridge.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom