• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am looking at a Glock 17 I don't currently have a 9mm and found one that is reasonably priced. After doing some looking online it appears that Glocks don't like reloads so I thought someone here may have some insight on this subject. I reload everything and buy very little factory ammo so if they won't safely take reloads then the Glocks are not for me.

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    I have many Glocks, I reload for all of them. Do some research in this forum, there is a lot of information and misinformation about reloading for Glocks. You need to make the call.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Glock Loads

The Glocks do NOT like LEAD bullets. The polygonal rifled barrels do not work well with lead.
    Glocks will shoot plated/jacketed bullets just fine.;) Or do as most do-buy an aftermarket barrel, and shoot the lead rounds to your hearts content.
    I just bought a G-20 (10 MM), and added a .40 S&W Lone Wolf barrel, to shoot any .40 S&W loads that I want.
    Hope this helps..Bill..:dunno:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just have cold feet about the Glock I guess the ones I have shot seem like a great gun and I was going to get this one but the guy at the store told me that it could only shoot factory so I came home and did some searching online and found both sides of the story. I see we have 3 that don't seem to have issues with loading for them. If I have to buy a barrel then some other guns may be a better choice for me. I am just kicking tires I really don't need a 9 but since I don't have one but have everything to load for it well :D You Know:rockwoot:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Shoot your reloads in the Glock and don't look back. I've shot plenty in mine with no issue because of the gun.

I think every manual I own says not to shoot reloads - for obvious reasons on their part for safety.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Boycott Hand loads??

You will find that ALL firearms Mfgs. say in their manuals that the warranty is void if you shoot hand loads in their weapons.
    Guess what???--That means little to those of us that like to hand load!!:laugh: Bill..;)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Glock does not endorse shooting re loaded ammunition, says so in the manual. Thats where the info comes from, have many of us Glock owners fired reloaded ammunition from time to time? Yes, but its not reccomended for reasons stated above.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Function test

My suggestion for Glock reloaders (and other guns, for that matter):
    Function test your reloads to find the minimum charge that will run your gun reliably.

Load, say, 3 to 5 rounds each in incremental amounts--two tenths of a grain increments are good--to find where the gun will run and where it will jam from not enough "oomph" to cycle properly. Add two or three tenths to the go/no-go load, and you should have a load that functions reliably with the minimum amount of wear and tear and risk of blowing out a case, especially on .40 cal. Glocks.

It took some time and effort to do these function tests, but I am pleased that I did so. My guns run perfectly with no apparent bulging on cases.

Choice of powders and bullets is up to you, but I have elected to use only jacketed bullets in my Glocks, specifically, Zero brand.

Last edited:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I believe all production gun manufactures discourage the use of reloads, probably for liability reasons.

The stock glock barrels do not perform well with lead bullets, and many believe that it is unsafe to fire lead bullets from the stock barrel. Personally, I think that it's fine to use lead bullets in Glock barrels as long as you're careful to avoid loads that lead to serious leading and keep the barrel clean. I have fired thousands of lead bullets in 9mm and 45ACP glocks without problems. The aftermarket barrels do seem to be more accurate with lead bullets, they're easier to clean, and they tend to not have leading problems just past the throat the way the Glock barrels do. An aftermarket barrel is a good investment if you plan on shooting bare lead. As Hickman mentioned, moly-coated bullets, like those from Precision, Bear Creek, Bayou Bullets, or Black Bullets International, only cost a little more than plain lead, and in my experience work well with stock glock barrels.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Glocks do NOT like LEAD bullets. The polygonal rifled barrels do not work well with lead.
    Glocks will shoot plated/jacketed bullets just fine.;) Or do as most do-buy an aftermarket barrel, and shoot the lead rounds to your hearts content.
    I just bought a G-20 (10 MM), and added a .40 S&W Lone Wolf barrel, to shoot any .40 S&W loads that I want.
    Hope this helps..Bill..:dunno:

How do you like that? I'm new to the G20 10mm bandwagon and I love mine. However I do find a slight buldge on my 10mm cases when loaded at full power.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have not noticed any leading in my stock barrel. That being said, I have started using a lone wolf barrel as it supports the casing better. I would hate to have a fault in the Glock bulge area, by weakened brass.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    How do you like that? I'm new to the G20 10mm bandwagon and I love mine. However I do find a slight buldge on my 10mm cases when loaded at full power.

This is common with 10mm and .40 Glocks. (Possibly others, but I'm most familiar with 9mm and .40). The chamber is less supported than many firearms. This I would assume is to aid with reliability. I would only use good brass for near full power loads, because of this.

I also used Lead, but made sure to verify that it was decent hardness and checked the barrel after a couple dozen to verify I wasn't leading.

Glocks in Competition is a good book with real info on the Glock reload lead issue.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Well I missed out on the Glock but from what I have seen here it should not be an issue to load for a Glock.
    Thanks to all that answered I am a old reloader and to me half the fun of shooting is playing at the loading bench.

snaresman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Auburn
    I reload all my Glock ammo. Just be smart and stay within the manuals and everything will be fine.

I don't shoot lead unless it is with an aftermarket barrel.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have worked the Glock Match (every gun shot there is a Glock) at ECPR for a couple of years now, and I would estimate that about 70% of the ammo used is reloaded. :D

Top Bottom