• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    do any of you guys load your own defensive ammo that you carry in your EDC? if so what do you load? do you make them hot? i was also wondering if you can buy federal HST bullets by themselves like you can with gold dots.

for the record i plan on loading my own carry ammo once i begin reloading and the whole idea that if you shoot someone in self defense with the ammo you made yourself the DA/prosecuter dah dah dah is irrevelant.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've use JHPs loaded to simulate defensive rounds. I've looked at what the stated velocity is on popular defensive rounds. Then I used multiple reloading books to determine what recipe will result in a similar muzzle velocity.

However, I only use it for practice and to make sure that my EDC can cycle the HPs correctly. I would never use my handloads for anything but range practice.

There have been multiple threads in the past that talk about this subject. Using your own loaded ammunition in an actual defensive situation could open you up to civil litigation. It's much safer to say "I bought it at XXXXXX because it was what they recommended to me."

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I wouldn't if I were you, but it's all personal choice. I asked a similar question awhile ago and the majority consensus here was that it would be more of a legal hassle if you did use your handloads for SD. I think the best way to approach the issue is to assume that all the jurors on SD trial were gun-hating folks and consider how the DA could spin the issue that you loaded your ammo to be more deadly than normal SD ammo (even if this is total BS, an uninformed and uncaring jury will not care). Further more, it would require your defense lawyer to work harder to get you off, which would cost more $$$$ as good defense lawyers aren't cheap. So I guess the question is, do you want to pay a little more to factory ammo to practice with or more in lawyer fees? If I had to pick, I'd go with ammo as I'm guessing it will be cheaper in the long run.

As for Federal HST's, if I recall they do not sell them to the public anymore in bullet only form, only in loaded ammo.

I do not load my HP ammo any hotter than my target loads as my target load is pretty close to max charge anyway. My personal philosophy is that you should practice with what you plan to shoot.

My :twocents:.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    thats exactly what i plan to do, practice what i shoot which means i can shoot more carry ammo because reloading it is cheaper.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I load my own for EDC.
    The threat of civil litigation is crap, especially when you consider why you would handload, don't you try and squeeze the most accuracy out of a load that you possibly can? Why would you use anything less than the most accurate effective load for your gun? Nothing illegal about making hand loads, nothing illegal about using them, and nothing illegal about shooting somebody with them if you are justified in shooting them.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I load my own for EDC.
    The threat of civil litigation is crap, especially when you consider why you would handload, don't you try and squeeze the most accuracy out of a load that you possibly can? Why would you use anything less than the most accurate effective load for your gun? Nothing illegal about making hand loads, nothing illegal about using them, and nothing illegal about shooting somebody with them if you are justified in shooting them.

exactly

what do you load?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I load FBI loads for my 38.
    I'm cooking up a load for my 45 but I haven't had time to do much reloading, I just moved into my new place.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The threat of civil litigation is crap, especially when you consider why you would handload, don't you try and squeeze the most accuracy out of a load that you possibly can? Why would you use anything less than the most accurate effective load for your gun?

Because 99% of the time, the most accurate loads are dialed down, medium pressure target loads, NOT super hot, pushed to the max, 'best in a defensive situation' loads.

Self defense loads, the good ones anyway, aren't 'one hole' ammo. They usually have quite a bit more muzzle flash, substantially more recoil and are much less pleasant to shoot than the target loads you're developing to shoot steel.

Different ammo, different situations. Practice your self defense shooting with +P hot hand loads all day. But carry factory. Civil SD litigation isn't bullish*t, and it's something that shouldn't be taken lightly, especially in this day and age of sappy, sympathetic juries.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have .357 handloads in my revolver that I only carry around the house and while hunting. It uses a cast SWC-HP bullet that nobody in their right mind could ever claim is superior to the jacketed bullets on the market these days. It performs well and mushrooms nice so I'm confident in it. When I can get my hands on some silvertip bullets I will change over to those for my .357.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have .357 handloads in my revolver that I only carry around the house and while hunting. It uses a cast SWC-HP bullet that nobody in their right mind could ever claim is superior to the jacketed bullets on the market these days.

And this is perfect. You're right, I don't think anyone will sue you for 'excessive force' from a Lead SWC. :)

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I would like to carry my own loads, but I don't want the hassel. Everything on self defence I've ever read says don't carry your own loads for legal reasons. I think it's crap but it's the world we live in. I read once that if you use your own loads that the police and lawyers say there no way to accuratly reproduce your load and that you should always keep a few rounds of any lot number of your store bought carry ammo for this reason

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been loading JHP 9mm ammo but it goes into my SHTF stash. I have plenty of factory loaded SD ammo. I also know that all my pistols will safetly fire HP rounds. Most of my SD ammo is 147 grain, but I have been loading with 115 grain bullets. Reason being, is because I use 115 grain for my target loads. That, and I do not have to tweak my loads for different bullet weights.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There have been multiple threads in the past that talk about this subject. Using your own loaded ammunition in an actual defensive situation could open you up to civil litigation. It's much safer to say "I bought it at XXXXXX because it was what they recommended to me."

Civil SD litigation isn't bullish*t, and it's something that shouldn't be taken lightly, especially in this day and age of sappy, sympathetic juries.

:faint: We have brought this up time and time again on INGO. To date there there is no know case where ammo used came into question in a court case and was bad for the shooter. TFT (ie. AKA Gun Guy) has advised he does not know of any case as have other ATTYs on INGO. The cases have come down to where you justified in using deadly force p-e-r-i-o-d. The reloading vs factory ammo is a myth at this point unless you can point us to a real court case.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I load for my one of my .38s that gets carried on occasion.

I use a 148gr WC with 2.8gr of Bullseye. Shoots at around ~700fps.

And this is perfect. You're right, I don't think anyone will sue you for 'excessive force' from a Lead SWC. :)

And I doubt they would say that about a lead WC either. There are .38 rounds that are much heavier and are pushed faster.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have read stories in popular gun magazines where it was brought up in court about people using their own loads for SD. The outcome was did not turn out so well. If you get an attorney that is out for blood, I guarantee it's going to get brought up. If the jury chooses, it can play a huge part in their decesion. Why take the chance? You have enough to deal with proving you where justified to shoot. The less brought up against you, the better chance you walk away not convicted.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    All risk vs. reward imo. Just not worth the chance.

I thought that there had been one case reviewed here where it did play a factor. Even if not, I still think it's better to say "I bought it at Bradis" or "I bought it at xxxx".

Let's face it, most will never be faced with having to use deadly force and defend their actions. However, should it come to that, you would want everything in your favor. Even if you are found justified in using deadly force, you could still face civil litigation from a victim's family or an injured bystander. It's that civil litigation where everything that can be tilted against you will hurt.

Just not worth the risk for rounds that you hope you'll never use anyway.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    :faint: We have brought this up time and time again on INGO. To date there there is no know case where ammo used came into question in a court case and was bad for the shooter. TFT (ie. AKA Gun Guy) has advised he does not know of any case as have other ATTYs on INGO. The cases have come down to where you justified in using deadly force p-e-r-i-o-d. The reloading vs factory ammo is a myth at this point unless you can point us to a real court case.

Here you go - straight from Massad Ayoob.

LINK

I didn't say it WOULD be bad for the shooter, just that it COULD be, like in the cases cited in the link.

Top Bottom