• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just got off the phone with a tech from Sierra bullet company.
    I called to ask if they have yet developed load data for the .327 Federal magnum cartridge.

I found some Sierra .312 90gr JHC (jacketed hollow cavity) bullets on Midsouth's website.
    I have one old Sierra manual, handgun reloading 50th Anniversary 4th Edition dated 1995.
    It has data for this exact bullet for .32H&R magnum, but none for .327 Federal magnum.

I called to ask if they had developed data for the .327 since my manual was so far out of date.
    Tech said no, they have not developed .327 data yet, but they are working on a new manual.
    He did say it would be some time before it's released.

He did say that I should be able to use the .32H&R magnum data for this projectile to load .327 Federal magnum.
    He also said he advised to keep with powders between the Unique and Red Dot burn rates.

He said due to the extra case capacity, I would lose a bit of velocity from the published data.
    I mentioned that this would be going through a 20" barrel and he asked me which gun.
    Seemed he had no idea that Henry is releasing a .327mag rifle as I type.

I'll be interested to see the new Sierra manual when it comes out.
    I hope they include .327 data, even if it's only for handgun barrel lengths.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yep. I have both.
    I'm hoping that shortly someone will publish rifle data for the round.

A cartridge is a cartridge; the powder that produces the best velocity from a pistol-length barrel is going to be the same powder that produces the best velocity from a rifle-length barrel. Expect that powder to be one of the slowest-burning of powders from the suitable range. Higher fill percentages are what you're looking to find and your velocity will be whatever you obtain, irrespective of what may be published by another source.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I am nealous of that rifle.
    I think that a rifle in this caliber is still an oddity. (Though I LOVE the idea)
    Hodgdons website have anything? ?

Top Bottom