• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've been seeing a lot of signs popping up down here in Greenwood for the Johnson County election, but it's hard to find information on the candidates. Based on the signs, it seems like there's a big race between Duane Burgess and Kirby Cochran. I've also seen signs for Andy Roesener for judge. Does anything know anything about these politicians? They have pages on the Book of Faces, but those pages say nothing about their positions on issues. What's the best way to find out about these local politicians so I can make a reasoned voting decision?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    3 people for Sheriff... I wondered the same thing.

I've found that the only truth you get is by asking the candidate directly, and holding his/her feet to the question, not getting away with a generic/soft answer.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Like you guys I don't personally know any of the people running for Sheriff. I tend to inquire with local law enforcement and at the gun shops to see who is preferred. Answer I've gotten from several people is Burgess. I'm told he's familiar with the workings at JCSD and has been running the jail for the last several years. I'm sure you can find out any details you want about any of the guys running by searching the web.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure you can find out any details you want about any of the guys running by searching the web.

That's the problem. These guys online identities are as vague as possible - probably by intention. No website says anything about their views on certain topics. I'm not really certain what would be a good set of questions to ask someone running for Sheriff. And sadly, even if I get to ask such questions, I'm just one vote. Word has to get out there!

People ***** so much about Federal level politicians when their local representatives and officials probably have a more immediate impact on their lives, yet they know so little about them. We need a way of talking more about who's on local ballots and what values they stand for.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might be a good time to get them some correspondence requesting their official position on Constitutional Carry? Wasn't the IN Sheriffs Association (or something like that,) a big detriment to to getting our legislators approval of this?

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I went to school with Kirby .
    Good guy imho.
    There was been several public events involving Kirby . Sure there will be more.
    Go to one and ask him questions. He's a very approachable guy. Know for a fact he'll be honest with ya

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What do you think of creating a web page that lists all of the candidates in the local election? People could submit questions about the candidates' policies and we'll post each candidate's response on the webpage. Would anyone be interested in helping make this idea happen?

I'm a web developer so would be willing to build the site. The thing I don't have is:
    1. complete knowledge of the important issues relevant to a position like sheriff
    2. a good set of initial questions
    3. a way to contact the candidates and pitch to them the web page

If anyone would be willing to help out with this, I think it would be a fun project for collaboration. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to respond publicly here.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Nice to see folks paying attention to local elections. Im running for count commissioner in Cass County. We have a wind turbine battle, jail expansion, and some other stuff all going on. Quite the controversy with the Wind turbines, very dirty business. So many times people just vote a name at local level with out doing any research on the candidates.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nice to see folks paying attention to local elections. Im running for count commissioner in Cass County. We have a wind turbine battle, jail expansion, and some other stuff all going on. Quite the controversy with the Wind turbines, very dirty business. So many times people just vote a name at local level with out doing any research on the candidates.

If I lived in Cass County, you'd get my vote for being here on INGO! :ingo:

What do you think of my idea of a website that provides information about who's going to be on the ballot and what their views? My premise is that local elections are very important, but so little information is available. Candidates seems to be intentionally vague about what they intend to do in office, but I see opportunity here. If the site is reputable, candidates will want the exposure because it gives them an opportunity to build trust with their constituents through transparency. It's 2018 - about time local politicians catch up with social media!

What do you think would be the best way of getting a candidate's attention, and pitch the benefits of responding to questions received by site visitors?

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I've been seeing a lot of signs popping up down here in Greenwood for the Johnson County election, but it's hard to find information on the candidates. Based on the signs, it seems like there's a big race between Duane Burgess and Kirby Cochran. I've also seen signs for Andy Roesener for judge. Does anything know anything about these politicians? They have pages on the Book of Faces, but those pages say nothing about their positions on issues. What's the best way to find out about these local politicians so I can make a reasoned voting decision?

It's local government. If there isn't a widely broadcasted message by any of the candidates to "fix what is broken", it's because nothing is broken... vote your party.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Speaking of Cass County and the wind turbine mess... What is your position/where do you stand on that matter?

:ingo:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know how or if I'll vote for JoCo Sheriff... But 2 of the 3 choices have dopey names. Kirby and Stoney.

They both may be stand-up guys; but Sheriff Kirby or Sheriff Stoney just doesn't inspire any kind of confidance for me. And, yes, I do realize that this is a "me" issue.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's local government. If there isn't a widely broadcasted message by any of the candidates to "fix what is broken", it's because nothing is broken... vote your party.

I don't know how or if I'll vote for JoCo Sheriff... But 2 of the 3 choices have dopey names. Kirby and Stoney.

They both may be stand-up guys; but Sheriff Kirby or Sheriff Stoney just doesn't inspire any kind of confidance for me. And, yes, I do realize that this is a "me" issue.

So people vote for local candidates based on the party or how cool someone's name sounds - and then we all wonder how the RINOs get into office. Many gun owners fret about the Federal government coming "to take their guns" yet have this level of apathy on something important like a sheriff's election. If the feds to start going around doing something unconstitutional in your district - did you vote in a local law enforcement leadership that's going to assist them? How do you know that the person with the cool name you voted for doesn't have the same views on private gun ownership as let's say - the appointed police chief of Chicago?

What happened in the Florida school shooting was a disaster on the part of local leadership. That sheriff's armed deputees did nothing while those kids were getting slaughtered, and then he goes on CNN attacking the NRA and blaming gun owners for what happened.

Protecting your rights starts in your local community.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Justin Griggs for County Council District 1. He's a friend and a great guy. Love the 2nd Amendment btw

https://ss-times.com/behind-badge-sgt-justin-griggs/

https://www.facebook.com/electjustingriggs/
    Do you and Justin spar together? I have been fighting with him on and off for years, although if he really wanted to he could crush me pretty easily. I have friends on both sides of that race and it isn't my district so I've stayed out of it, but Justin is a great guy.

I spoke to Judge Roesener and while not a "gun guy" he is a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment. Duane Burgess is a gun guy, and very pro-2a. I haven't caught up with Kirby yet but would guess he is similar. I don't know Stoney Vann but his mailers annoy me to the point I wouldn't consider backing him.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Do you and Justin spar together? I have been fighting with him on and off for years, although if he really wanted to he could crush me pretty easily. I have friends on both sides of that race and it isn't my district so I've stayed out of it, but Justin is a great guy.

I spoke to Judge Roesener and while not a "gun guy" he is a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment. Duane Burgess is a gun guy, and very pro-2a. I haven't caught up with Kirby yet but would guess he is similar. I don't know Stoney Vann but his mailers annoy me to the point I wouldn't consider backing him.

This is great conversation here. I didn't even know that the District 1 County Council seat was going to be on the ballot. Also learned from this thread who's safe pro 2A candidates.

I would love to take information like this and put it on a more public, impartial site. So what would be a good source of information to just start compiling all the candidates names that will be on the ballot?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I’ve known Duane Burgess on a personal level for about the past 10 years. He’s as stand up of a guy that you could ask for. I don’t live in Johnson County, but if I did he’d be my choice hands down.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Yeah, we train together.

Top Bottom