• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Went to Clarksville today for some things and stopped by orions while i was down there grabbed some titegroup and cci spp both were pretty pricey compared to online. between the titegroup and cci spp i could have ordered online paid hazmat and got more bang for my buck. i like keeping money local but thats stupid IIRC cci spp was 4.50 per 100 and titegroup was 20ish per 1lb. Grafs and Powdervalley have cci spp for under 30 per 1000 and also the titegroup is under 17 on grafs and under 15 on powdervalley. I like the guys that work their but the prices are chasing away a repeat customer.
    [rant over]

So anyone know of any gun shops near in southern indiana (salem, scottsburg,seymour, clarksville, new albany) that carry reloading components at a decent competitive price? or at least powder and primers to cut out hazmat fees?
    Thanks for the help in advanced.

:popcorn:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Overhead+Hazmate+Profit=LGS pricing

Of course larger online companies are cheaper, they buy in major bulk, have less overhead, and typically are successful with lower profit margins based on high sales volume.

I am still not understanding? Primers 30 + 25 hazmat = 55
    Powder is 3 bucks cheaper, and 25 because if hazmat (has to be separate from primers). That brings the total to 55+43...98 bucks for a pound of powder and 1k primers.

Local it would be (20 + 45)x 1.07=69.55

I kind of think you forgot hazmat times two.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Overhead+Hazmate+Profit=LGS pricing

Of course larger online companies are cheaper, they buy in major bulk, have less overhead, and typically are successful with lower profit margins based on high sales volume.

I am still not understanding? Primers 30 + 25 hazmat = 55
    Powder is 3 bucks cheaper, and 25 because if hazmat (has to be separate from primers). That brings the total to 55+43...98 bucks for a pound of powder and 1k primers.

Local it would be (20 + 45)x 1.07=69.55

I kind of think you forgot hazmat times two.

Hazmat at most places is $27.50. You can also order powder and primers in the same package up to a maximum weight. Given that, if you can get the $30 primers + $17 powder + $27.50 hazmat +$10 shipping/handling, the total cost is $84.50. That's $14.95 more than local. Now if you buy more than one box of primers, there is $15 more in savings so he breaks even and he begins to save more for every additional item that he orders.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I was thinking Bass Pro Shops, but it looks like their selection is very limited and their prices are really high. It's quite a drive, but the shooting range at Atterbury has a shop with pretty darn good prices compared to the LGS in my area.

About once a year, online places like Midsouth will have a deal going where if you buy "X" amount of primers or powders, they will cover the hazmat. Find a local reloading buddy and get it done that way...you'll save a bundle! ;)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I thought that primer and powders had to be shipped separately? I'm still deciding on which powder to start reloading with for 9mm. LOL. I am a noob again...oh noes!

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Hazmat at most places is $27.50. You can also order powder and primers in the same package up to a maximum weight. Given that, if you can get the $30 primers + $17 powder + $27.50 hazmat +$10 shipping/handling, the total cost is $84.50. That's $14.95 more than local. Now if you buy more than one box of primers, there is $15 more in savings so he breaks even and he begins to save more for every additional item that he orders.

at $17 per lb it dont sound like but like you said after the 2 boxes of primers i start to save money also the under $17 in the OP was grafs (out of stock) powder valley is 14.70 per lb or 109 per 8 lbs. just by ordering the 8lb of powder i save $66 then subtract hazmat and shipping and im still saving money.

I was thinking Bass Pro Shops, but it looks like their selection is very limited and their prices are really high. It's quite a drive, but the shooting range at Atterbury has a shop with pretty darn good prices compared to the LGS in my area.

About once a year, online places like Midsouth will have a deal going where if you buy "X" amount of primers or powders, they will cover the hazmat. Find a local reloading buddy and get it done that way...you'll save a bundle! ;)
    I was thinking Bass Pro also but they didn't have titegroup or primers and orions and bass pro didnt have the hornady xtp bullets i wanted.

It is definitely OK to ship primers and powders together...done it many times.
    That is what i thought. Hazmat fee covers whatever you have shipped up to weight limit.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I thought that primer and powders had to be shipped separately?

Only MidwayUSA does that. They will ship primers and powder separately, even though they don't have to...:rolleyes:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Only MidwayUSA does that. They will ship primers and powder separately, even though they don't have to...:rolleyes:

Seriously? I'm going to check into that and if it's a fact, I will stop ordering from them, just on principle alone! :xmad:

Wow...just WOW!!

I called and asked the nice lady on the phone and she confirmed this bit of news! Midway DOES NOT ship primers and powders together! She told me their main warehouse is too close to a major highway, so they do not store powders there, only primers. Powders are stored in a different warehouse, so the two ship from different physical locations. I asked her why they don't keep primers at the same warehouse with the powders and she said she didn't know but was sure they had "considered that option".

I'm sending Midway an email right now and that will be the last business I EVER do with them! What a rip-off!!

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is what I wrote to them:

"To whom it may concern:

I have been a Midway customer for the last 20+ years. I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of reloading supplies from your company and always been very happy with your service...until today.

I just found out that you ship primers and powders from different warehouses, which means you charge two separate hazmat fees when ordering these components on one invoice. A very nice customer service person explained that your main warehouse is too close to a major freeway, so you cannot store powder there. I asked her the rather obvious question: Why don't you keep the primers in the other building with the powder, saving your loyal customers money on these (ridiculous) hazmat fees? She said she was sure that had been considered, but you were not doing it that way.

Please locate my account and delete it from your records. I do not want another email or a flyer sent to my home. I am even deleting your website from my Favorites, I'm so mad!

I'm also a fairly active member on two popular online forums (Shooters Forum and Indiana Gun Owners). I will be shouting this bit of information from the rooftops and knowing the red-blooded Americans on these websites, you can bet your last box of Partitions you lose a LOT of business over this.

A thoroughly-disgusted FORMER customer,

--
    Jason Broom
    Mooresville, IN"

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    walkers taxidermy and shooting shop has a few random dies, couple pounds of powder. etc. but they're crazy priced. applied ballistics has a few items as well. these shops being in lafayette. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    PM'd no reply yet.

will have to check them out 45 min drive to seymour is much better than 2hrs to indy.

Yeah, I've PM'd Andrew a couple times and not gotten a reply. I've also asked him to check on two different things and get back to me, but he never did. Maybe he's great with other customers, but just like Midway, he's lost my loyalty.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I just placed a hazmat order last week and got 28k primers 20lbs powder for a hair over $900. I'll make another post next time I order hazmat if I have any extra room.

Top Bottom