• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Are there any frequencies/repeaters INGO's HAMs specifically hang out on?

I'm in Hamilton Co and just picked up a radio and although don't have my license yet, listening in helps me learn the lingo.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    What kind of radio did you get? The 146.700 (W9IRA) is probably the most busy in the drive time slots and then usually later in the evening. When will you be testing?

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Thanks, W9IRA is one I've found, seems fairly active.

I bought a Baofeng BF-F8HP as a starter. No test date yet but although I've been saying for for a good two years, it will happen by the end of this year.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I ares an extra cause always wanted tuh bee wun and now Iz one and if I kin hep ya any whatsoevers you all PM me. And now not being silly, Baofeng's are great starters but they can be painful to program ( the cable that comes with them is generally useless) so if you need help, again feel free to pm.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I ares an extra cause always wanted tuh bee wun and now Iz one and if I kin hep ya any whatsoevers you all PM me. And now not being silly, Baofeng's are great starters but they can be painful to program ( the cable that comes with them is generally useless) so if you need help, again feel free to pm.

This won't be considered a quality post....right?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If anyone is up for some HF let me know. 75-80 meters is doable most evenings. Can cover all of Indiana.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Set a freq and time and they will come.

And Mil if you can get Chirp working for your radio I will send you the programming file for your area. Ham, public service etc.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    The nearest place to me that I can take a test for my license won't be held until 10/10/2015. Hoping to get into the world of ham radio, been reading about it for a bout a year and been playing with some online tools and ease dropping on random locations globally via websdr.org .

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Sailor if you wouldn't mind sharing the central indiana settings I would appreciate it. Bought Baofeng to get started as well. I think I got Chirp to work - was able to program a few freq on my computer. I'm a total newbie, but find it very interesting. Thanks!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone wanting programmed chirp files pm me the zip code you want and your email. I will see if I have one made up already. Ryno central IN is too broad, your radio will not have enough memory slots for that.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    1911, What NVIS antenna do you have running? I can use my trail friendly par end fedz, but limited to 50w. My base antenna is in my attic and works ok but its 10-12 feet above my kids bedrooms on the second floor and I have not done any rf testing on it so I only use it on low power when they are home.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911, What NVIS antenna do you have running? I can use my trail friendly par end fedz, but limited to 50w. My base antenna is in my attic and works ok but its 10-12 feet above my kids bedrooms on the second floor and I have not done any rf testing on it so I only use it on low power when they are home.

I am late in seeing this. I use a 75 meter loop 90% of the time. It does me well. I like loops and OCF's. If anyone is interested in a QSO or a net PM me and we will set something up. I am an Extra so we can try any area of the band if you have privileges. We can also do CW but round tables can get pretty slow. I am game for any mode/frequency. 160 meters is an option too. Although it's been a while since I used that antenna. I can check it out real quick and give it a shot.

I am new to DMR but we can give that a shot too. Just let me know.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to this. :(

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, anything that Radioreferance.com has I have. I have a paid acct there that can upload to chirp, and then augment with repeaterbook proximity search.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I just passed my technicians test yesterday in Greenfield. I tried the general test but without having ever read any of the material it was a big fail but not unexpected! Anyway, I purchased one of the Baofeng radios off Amazon. I haven't done anything with it yet and until reading this thread didn't know it needed to be programmed. Sailor, if your offer is still good, my zip is 46214.
    Now that I'm legal I need to do a lot more studying. While the test was easy, I actually don't understand a lot of what I read in the study guide I used.

Matt

Top Bottom